Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Sattahip to Songkhla Ferry

Leo_Bia

Gulf ferry service to launch after long Covid-19 delay
PUBLISHED : 6 NOV 2021

A ferry service connecting Chon Buri in the east and Songkhla in the south will be launched on Monday after it was postponed for months due to Covid-19.

The service will be operated by the Bangkok-based Seahorse Ferries Company, a firm that bought the three-decker ship Blue Dolphin from Japan for 200 million baht and renovated the vessel to accommodate up to 586 passengers, 80 lorries and 20 cars.

4136175.jpg

The Marine Department gave the ship approval for commercial use on March 12 and a round-trip test has already been conducted.

At 7,000 tonnes and 136.6 metres in length, the 26-year-old ferry features several types of guestrooms, ranging from capsule beds to the premier room type with a bathroom, a restaurant, a recreation zone and a lobby.

The vessel can reach a speed of up to 17 knots (32 kilometres per hour). It will depart from the Chuk Samet Pier in Chon Buri's Sattahip district on Monday at 2pm and dock at the Southern Songkhla port at about 10am the following day. The one-way journey takes about 20 hours.

The port in Songkhla is operated by Songkhla Southern Logistics 2009 in the province's Muang district.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob expects the service to facilitate logistics and benefit the development of the government's Eastern Economic Corridor and the Southern Economic Corridor.

The service will also help reduce air pollution and help save on transport costs, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2210647/

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dwave said:

A bit surprised they are starting this run after they just cancelled the Pattaya / Hua Hin run:

Not the same thing to me.

As far as I can see, they made one maiden voyage earlier in the month, and that is it.

Pre-covid there was Pattaya-Hat Yai flight connectivity, wonder how will the ferry find sustainability in the long run.

................................................................................................................

1 hour ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Pre-covid there was Pattaya-Hat Yai flight connectivity, wonder how will the ferry find sustainability in the long run.

Agree. "The one-way journey takes about 20 hours."  Outdated mode of transport, who is this for?

1 hour ago, dwave said:

Agree. "The one-way journey takes about 20 hours."  Outdated mode of transport, who is this for?

Better suited to freight & those who want to travel with their merchandise.

• Like 1

................................................................................................................

It really depends on how time sensitive your travel plans are. I suspect when compared to driving yourself, the cost is similar without being worn out from the driving. Obviously, if you just don't like boats then it isn't a method for you. 

For me, if they manage to get a regular schedule and perhaps a kitchen to go with the dining room, I think I'd enjoy a trip on the ferry. 

• Like 2

Similar concept to taking a vehicle / motorcycle from Victoria to Tasmania in Australia  which I have done. No choice down there however, here there are roads to connect. 

A couple of friends have already done it in the last week and did not mind it. Still not sure I would do it, if I was taking the car perhaps as it would cost a small fortune in gas.... And it's really a nightmare getting through the southern end of BKK at the moment with the work on the BTS line..... Took nearly 90 mins to go about 20 kms a few weeks ago.... 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

6 minutes ago, whitespider said:

Freight - 95%.

Given that there are what, two sleeping suites with just a sink, and two sleeping suites that include a shower, it's not meant to primarily be a passenger ferry. But if you get your reservations in early enough, I think that sleeping suite with the included shower would make for a pretty relaxed and enjoyable trip. Take you and your date, ferry down, spend a night exploring Songkla, ferry back. You could even save a bit leaving your car at Sattihip and walking onto the ferry. 

I am intending to cycle down to Phuket and beyond at some point ( yes I am bike touring nutter) but I don't really want to cycle back again - this would be a perfect leisurely trip back for me.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, dwave said:

For players like myself.

33 minutes ago, shagwell said:

I am intending to cycle down to Phuket and beyond at some point ( yes I am bike touring nutter) but I don't really want to cycle back again - this would be a perfect leisurely trip back for me.

Sheesh, I am flat out doing on my motorcycle :) 

• Haha 3

Regards, Atlas.

6 minutes ago, Atlas said:

To be fair, I'd imagine his tour de Thai to be in stages.

2 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Oh yes, only 30 to 60 miles a day - depending how early I start, how many hills there are, how energetic I'm feeling on the day and how many beers I had the night before :D. Did a 'Tour de Laos' a couple of years ago and loved it, one of the best holidays I've ever had.

On 23/11/2021 at 13:47, Atlas said:

Reading this, had mental picture of when the guys on Dumb and Dumber swap their van for the scooter....555

as usual a helpful BM maybe can put a link...

On 23/11/2021 at 13:54, Thomaz73 said:

Triathalon style so to speak....a bit of hiking.....

a bit of cycling and some swimming....

and then back on the ferry.....

Skippy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkippyRoo said:

as usual a helpful BM maybe can put a link...

• Haha 2

• 9 months later...
On 23/11/2021 at 12:13, shagwell said:

Is there a cycling section on this forum, would be interested to hear a review of your trips?

On 23/11/2021 at 12:13, shagwell said:

You might consider taking a train-assist for the return-trip, that's a pleasant way to watch the countryside slide past, in my very-dim-and-distant memory.

On 31/08/2022 at 15:11, jimboh said:

Is there a cycling section on this forum, would be interested to hear a review of your trips?

Don't think there is. crazyguyonabike.com is a good site for viewing peoples tours all around the world, from short tours to multi-month tours. My only tour of any significance was a solo 2 week tour around around Northern Laos a few years ago which I also posted on that website. Komoot is a good app to use for planning routes. Now living in the Philippines so looking at touring there instead.

On 01/09/2022 at 19:29, semi-retired member said:

You might consider taking a train-assist for the return-trip, that's a pleasant way to watch the countryside slide past, in my very-dim-and-distant memory.

Thanks, good to know train is an option from Phuket. Unfortunately I never got around to it and only managed a few out and back day rides from Pattaya in the end. Longest ones were around 40 miles out to the Big Buddha carved in the mountain. Good roads out that way, reasonably quiet for the most part with plenty of dedicated cycle lanes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shagwell said:

Thanks, good to know train is an option from Phuket. Unfortunately I never got around to it and only managed a few out and back day rides from Pattaya in the end. Longest ones were around 40 miles out to the Big Buddha carved in the mountain. Good roads out that way, reasonably quiet for the most part with plenty of dedicated cycle lanes.

Offtopic I know, but some lovely roads for cycling in that area, if you go down the side of that Buddha mountain, can get to the 332, then can loop around by Utapao, back up 331 and into Pattaya, not really hilly, good surfaces and a very safe margin mostly. The Sukhumvit is going to be nice but too much roadworks now from Sattahip to Pattaya.

2 hours ago, shagwell said:

While there was indeed a memorable April-Fools-Day report in ThaiVisa, about a train-crash at Phuket Station, the line actually runs up the eastern-coast from Hat Yai to Surat Thani and Prachuap, then Hua Hin and eventually Bangkok.  🙂

Edited by semi-retired member