IGNORED

Songkran Yes/No?

Fabfiasco

Some folks love it, but not I. Pattaya has kind of an extended Songkran and it is pretty hard to avoid.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

I loved it, just not when some drunken clown soaks me when I'm about to check into a hotel with my suitcase.

• Like 2

I don't really like 'people', so always avoid big crowds and therefore have never booked a trip during Songkran  I also don't have a sence of humour, so I always knew I would get all pissed off if I could not walk anywhere without getting soaked.

Covid has changed me though - as now I'm thinking that returning during Songcran could be a blast.  I'll be so happy to be back in Pattaya I would be okay with people throwing shit at me while going to the 7/11.....

Also, if the doom and gloom people are correct, there will be less visitors to Pattaya in 2022.  So, Songkran in 2022 could actually just make it like 'normal busy' pre-covid 2019 perhaps?

Edited by mattmoore1965x
  • Like 2

Just my 2 bobs worth.... If you haven't been here for Songkran before, do it once in your life and make your own mind up.. I am a crusty old cu*t and it doesn't bother me at all. The Thais have gone 2 years without a New Year celebration, so I expect next year to be pretty good...

• Like 4

Prior to 2020 even though the official Songkran days in Thailand are April 13,14 &15, in Pattaya they would start a few days earlier and last until the 19th.  The 19th is the busiest as the major roads are packed with pickups with individuals in the back with barrels full of water. Beach Rd is closed to vehicles as its packed with people walking.  Besides the water they have this powder that they will rub on your face which is wishing you good luck in the coming year.  Also don't plan on departing or arriving on the 19th as many car services will not drive into town.  During the days when I would walk for exercise I would get a little wet from Thai massage ladies as I walked by.  I would surprise them when I returned fire with my small water pistol the size of James Bond Walther PPK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I don't mind it, and have had some great experiences.  But admittedly the place is infested with wankers during this period.

One Songkran afternoon I was sitting at the Beer Bar complex next to the cop shop on Beach Road enjoying an ice cold lager and some bloke was walking past dressed in a snappy suit. (Presumably going to work???)

Despite his very animated pleas, we was unceremoniously drenched by the bunch of ferals manning those big barrels of water.

I think it's fair to say his enjoyment of Songkran would greatly differ from mine.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2021 at 06:40, Timon88 said:

I've always wanted to experience it. 

sounds like fun to me.

You should. I think its pretty stoopid for OP to travel to a new place and not experience one of the top festivals of the world. Getting blasted in the face with cold water happens but not every corner of pattaya. Most prob happens when you pass a group of bars. But at that stage you're already wet and having some much fun , you are unlikely to mind it. At most , even if you hate it , at least you will still have a story to tell.

If you dont think you will like it but still want to experience it , go for a day on the 18th late at night and wake up for an unforgetable 19th experience. On the 20th not a drop of water will be splashed. But be warned , getting in on the 18th will be 5-10x your normal time due to traffic. Also , expect to be splashed , even with a tiny winiee water gun ALL THE TIME.

Some taxis will not even go into the heart of Pattaya. If you are in and really hate it , just go to some bars outside the main Beach Road/2nd Road/Baukow areas and chill with a beer till its over. Plenty of them on 3rd road or naklua

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

Please remember to like and subscribe.

On 02/11/2021 at 08:41, LittleWonder said:

Honestly, I don't mind it, and have had some great experiences.  But admittedly the place is infested with wankers during this period.

One Songkran afternoon I was sitting at the Beer Bar complex next to the cop shop on Beach Road enjoying an ice cold lager and some bloke was walking past dressed in a snappy suit. (Presumably going to work???)

Despite his very animated pleas, we was unceremoniously drenched by the bunch of ferals manning those big barrels of water.

I think it's fair to say his enjoyment of Songkran would greatly differ from mine.

What did he expect? How about asking not to be pranked or scared during Halloween?

Please remember to like and subscribe.

I live off Soi Arunotai and only go out in the day time to walk my little poodle. The Thais might be throwing water on to Sukumvit Rd but they won't splash the dog. 

One year I rented a house in Mai Pim for a week and invited the TGFs family down . Place had 4 bedrooms, a tv in each one and one in the loungeroom, full kitchen and the estate had 2 pools and a restaurant and you could hire Scooters and pushbikes. Got splashed once in a week by a kid about 7 with a water pistol. 

• Like 2

As much as I love all things Australian, I got to get me action of the asian persuasian.

I did Songkran about 5 years ago. I decided it wasn't for me. I could deal with it for 2 or even 3 days, but Pattaya goes batshit crazy for an entire week. 

• Like 2