IGNORED

Songkran Yes/No?

Fabfiasco

I've been to Pattaya twice before, but never during Songkran.

Looking to take advantage of Easter Long weekend April 2022 - as a means of reducing days annual leave taken

Is Songkran as much a punish as some make it out to be? ie getting drenched every time you walk outside your hotel

Are there any BM's who enjoy Songkran and plan their holiday around being there during that time?

Great topic, I think the real question is  does anyone have a crystal ball and are willing to predict what Songkran 2022 will be like?

2017, 2018, 2019 were big years, 2020 and 2021 not so much,  what will 2022 be.?

I'm planning a few weeks away from Pattaya during Songkran. Maybe Samui. 

The craziest I've seen was Khaosan road. And I have zero interest in anything approaching that level. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

If Songkran's supposed to be a bit of fun, the joke wears off real quick. I'll be leaving Pattaya to go to a place I haven't decided yet , but it will be where Songkran isn't a thing.

Some Love it, some hate it. If your into block parties and water fights, give it a try. 

Personally, I'm leaving LOS for Songkran. But I'm a old guy, 555 

By far my worst weeks in Pattaya. 

I hated it and I will never do it again. 

If I am in Thailand I will travel away from Pattaya and go somewhere that is not celebrating more than 1 day.

It's ok for 1 or 2 days, an afternoon down Soi 6 during songkran can be fun but you will get soaked, and the last day especially along beach road is one big party. 

Whats not fun is it drags on for far to long, the bars that fill huge buckets of water with large blocks of ice to make sure the water is freezing cold, getting soaked with water when your just trying to go to the supermarket or mall - regardless of whether you are sat on a motorbike or baht bus at the time, or the idiots (usually farangs) that still insist on soaking you long after the sun has gone down even though the water fights are supposed to stop once it's dark.

The Thais tend to not got overboard with soaking you and often at least use luke warm water, it's the dopey pissed up westerners that generally take it to the stupid level.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's confirmed my inclination to give Patts a wide berth during that time. 

Maybe Nana would be more chill..... at least BKK only 'play water' for a few days apparently 

30 minutes ago, Fabfiasco said:

Maybe Nana would be more chill..... at least BKK only 'play water' for a few days apparently

Last part is true. But good luck not getting soaked near Nana 😅

I doubt that the Songkran celebration will be as the old times anytime soon if Covid-19 is still out there. And that issue is probably not going to disappear anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

doubt that the Songkran celebration will be as the old times

You may very well be right. I hope so, actually. But I expect it to be explosive. We'll see :)

2 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

You may very well be right. I hope so, actually. But I expect it to be explosive. We'll see :)

It might return to the same levels of crazyness as before, but I think that will take many years from now. So you are probably safe for Songkran 2022 :)

2 hours ago, Fabfiasco said:

I've been to Pattaya twice before, but never during Songkran.

Looking to take advantage of Easter Long weekend April 2022 - as a means of reducing days annual leave taken

Is Songkran as much a punish as some make it out to be? ie getting drenched every time you walk outside your hotel

Are there any BM's who enjoy Songkran and plan their holiday around being there during that time?

If you have never been, you should, it really is different and there is some fun to be had. You will only do it once though😁

2 hours ago, Fabfiasco said:

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's confirmed my inclination to give Patts a wide berth during that time. 

Generally 3 days here in Bkk and even during those days it’s very easy to avoid a soaking. Nana would not be one of those water free zones though. In all my years here I only got drenched once - Asoke entrance to Soi Cowboy.

13 hours ago, alohaww said:

Generally 3 days here in Bkk and even during those days it’s very easy to avoid a soaking. Nana would not be one of those water free zones though. In all my years here I only got drenched once - Asoke entrance to Soi Cowboy.

You got a soak in Asoke?

Bunch of old grumpy man in here lol. I actually planned my last 2 trips (2018 and 2019) of the 3 total around Songkran for the longest spree (April 11-13 Huahin, 13-15 Bangkok Khaosan and 15-19 Pattaya). A lot of fun, party, music and girls in wet clothing. What's not to like? 😁 I'm 32 though, I think that helps lol.

I wanted to go in 2020 too and booked the flight immediately when they announced vouchers for if the flight would get canceled, and that exactly happened. Still got it and hope I can use it to book a flight for Songkran 2022. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad I experienced Songkran and had a fun time but once is enough for me.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I've only once been in Pattaya at Songkran time. After two nights in my hotel in a soi just off Beach Road I wrote off the money I'd paid in advance and moved to a more civilised area at Wong Amat off Naklua Road.

Never again. I cannot tolerate the yobbos, louts etc. Prefer to keep well away from their hooligan behaviour.

2022?

My guess is that all restrictions will be gone by then. After two years of lockdown Songkran will likely be the most bacchanalian event seen this side of Caligula's wedding feast.

My advice to everyone is to GTFO of Pattaya for the week prior and week after. Every yob, chav, and wanker (those are British terms for assh*les - yes, I googled them) will be there to celebrate like it is the end of world.

Even with the enforced celibacy of the past year and a half, there's zero chance I'd go to Pattaya during Songkran.

(BTW Songkran 2021 was awesome as it did not actually happen 😀).

For folks who like the over the top event I think it will be - go for it - but it'll be a "nah" for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joe_momma said:

2022?

My guess is that all restrictions will be gone by then. After two years of lockdown Songkran will likely be the most bacchanalian event seen this side of Caligula's wedding feast.

I'm more inclined to think the authorities will encourage a more subdued celebration of Songkran this year rather then the full monty of pre covid days.

Why throw away all the effort thats gone into trying to open up and to return some degree of normalcy, just for a few days of full on Songkran which still has the potential to turn into yet another super spreader event when a good time can still be had by all by not going overboard.

There is plenty at stake, jobs, businesses and lives. Heaps of economic damage has already been done.

There in no reason why things cannot be dialed back, yet still be enjoyable.

Edited by Zeb

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

On 30/10/2021 at 22:29, Santana187 said:

Bunch of old grumpy man in here lol.....I'm 32 though, I think that helps lol.

That plus the fact you've been exposed to the mayhem of King's (and Queen's) Day all your life!

I have loved my Songkran experiences in Pattaya, thoroughly enjoyed them. I did take early morning excursions away from Pattaya every 2 or 3 days though to get away from it and chill out. 

I do agree with many of the above comments though that it can get ridiculous and unfortunately you do get the drunken tourists who just always take it too far.

Be interested to see how my enjoyment of it changes as an expat moving forward.

Edited by Smeghead76

On 31/10/2021 at 06:36, 1500B said:

You got a soak in Asoke?

Where is the Dohh! function when you need it?

image.png

On 30/10/2021 at 14:17, Syco said:

If Songkran's supposed to be a bit of fun, the joke wears off real quick. I'll be leaving Pattaya to go to a place I haven't decided yet , but it will be where Songkran isn't a thing.

Koh Samet is a good option @Syco.

image.png