IGNORED

Considering iPhone 13

James Daniels

2 hours ago, Gary Loei said:

If the iPhones are so great, why can't they improve the battery life? I don't like having to charge ,my phone every day. It is better now that I have everything shut off and still . My Android devices last 3 or 4 days. Using Apple maps over WiFi or data will drain the 100 percent charged battery in a couple hours. And yes, battery health is still 100 percent. The IOS is not intuitive, the poor battery life and Apple wanting me to pay for many of the apps are sore points for me. People brag about Apple maps. I am able to use the map but I think it is still pretty clunky. I am now using the low power mode and it appears that I can still use apps.

They have finally done that with the latest iPhones.  There's always a compromise when building phones because batteries are so heavy.  Users want light weight and long battery life, but long battery life means heavy phones. So there’s always a trade off between light weight phones or long life phones that are really heavy.

But the new iPhone 13 has a battery capacity of 3,227 mAh and is rated to last up to 2.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12.  Per Apple's battery tests, that works out to up to 19 hours of video playback, up to 15 hours of streaming online video, and up to 75 hours of audio playback. 

I’ve got a 13, and it seems to last about 3 times longer than my last phone.  Mine lasts for 3 days of varied use before I charge it.  Best phone ever. 

• Like 2

Years ago, I had a friend who graduated with a degree in computers.

He told me the i-phone is best if you want a computer with phone capabilities.

He said Android is best if you want a phone with computer capabilities.

Over time they are getting closer together but I still keep this in mind whenever I think about switching over.

7 hours ago, Gary Loei said:

If the iPhones are so great, why can't they improve the battery life? I don't like having to charge ,my phone every day. It is better now that I have everything shut off and still . My Android devices last 3 or 4 days. Using Apple maps over WiFi or data will drain the 100 percent charged battery in a couple hours. And yes, battery health is still 100 percent. The IOS is not intuitive, the poor battery life and Apple wanting me to pay for many of the apps are sore points for me. People brag about Apple maps. I am able to use the map but I think it is still pretty clunky. I am now using the low power mode and it appears that I can still use apps.

I have a dash holder for my Huawei tablet and use Sygic when traveling so the clunky Apple map is not that important anyways. I just have to wait for the iPhone to die to replace it with the superior Android system.

Sounds you're stressing over your iPhone, if me I'd trash the damn iPhone and get on with a happy stress free life ;o) There are a few quality android phones but the vast majority are crap.

4 hours ago, jetdoc said:

Sounds you're stressing over your iPhone, if me I'd trash the damn iPhone and get on with a happy stress free life ;o) There are a few quality android phones but the vast majority are crap.

I bought it against my better judgement so I deserve to suffer with it. I use it for email and calls, It does have a good camera, so it's not a total loss. Apple simply wants to be all things for all people. It must have hundreds of menus, I was able to turn most things off so the battery life is now much better.

Edited by Gary Loei

20 hours ago, Gary Loei said:

I have a dash holder for my Huawei tablet and use Sygic when traveling so the clunky Apple map is not that important anyways. I just have to wait for the iPhone to die to replace it with the superior Android system.

To be fair my iphone can last 3 days and battery is at 94% capacity, im not a phone addict or heavy user though, just a moderate user, some days not even that.

Edited by vimto66

10 hours ago, Gary Loei said:

I bought it against my better judgement so I deserve to suffer with it. I use it for email and calls,

I'm glad that self flagellation works for you. 🙂 Since my momentarily fatal heart attack a few years back I've gone the other direction. Life is far to short to put up with stuff that doesn't work for me. I too have bought a few things that didn't work out the way I thought they were going to. The ones that don't work out for me get quickly replaced by something that does. 🙂 The only suffering I deserve is a full belly from too much good food, a pain I expect to burden myself with several times on my next trip to Pattaya. 555 

If not for my wife wanting an iPhone, I would never have bought mine. She has the iPhone 11 and cannot get through the day on a charge. She is very happy to have a big face in front of her friends. She keeps everything turned on. My fault for giving in to her.

33 minutes ago, Gary Loei said:

My fault for giving in to her.

I applaud you for that, consider it as insurance for a long happy life with a person you don't wish to control.

21 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

I guess that means that I'm fucked again.  

They just don’t make what I’m searching for.  

Dammit……Why can’t someone just make a phone with phone capabilities???  555

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, vivid2 said:

I guess that means that I'm fucked again.  

They just don’t make what I’m searching for.  

Dammit……Why can’t someone just make a phone with phone capabilities???  555

I have an ancient Nokia that still works fine. Unfortunately they no longer make this model. LOL!

No Problem. My iPhone works just like the old Nokia if everything is turned off, other than battery life is not as good as the Nokia.

Edited by Gary Loei

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/12/2021 at 18:23, Gary Loei said:

Ironically, the latest iPhone 13s have better battery life than any Android phone outside of the gaming phones with close to 6000 mAh battery which isn't on 99% of people's radar anyways. I do agree though that any iPhone 12 or earlier does have very average battery life. By average I mean NON-flagship spec Android models. If you're not rocking the Samsung S21 Ultra or whatever top of the line Android phone, then sure, you'll have awesome battery life. If you have a mid-range or less Android phone, objectively, the battery life on those aren't impressive. 

On 08/12/2021 at 22:57, LASportsNut said:

Years ago, I had a friend who graduated with a degree in computers.

Over time they are getting closer together but I still keep this in mind whenever I think about switching over.

I don't believe any of this to be true at any point in time! 55555

• Haha 1

I just got a 13 Pro Max and the battery is great. My 12 Pro Max typically lasted me 1 day and a half before needing a recharge, the 13 is nearing two full days. Bigger battery, a more efficient SoC, along with software optimizations, really make this phone shine. 

Apple silicon is just amazing nowadays. This year I got an M1 iPad Pro and an Apple watch too and honestly they are all a pleasure to use. Fast, battery efficient, smooth, almost glitch free, seamless integration between all of them. I did have an Android for about a year (2019-20) and, while pretty decent, I really wanted to go back to an iPhone. Android is just not as solid IMO, although that will depend on the specific implementation you use, of course. I run Windows and Linux in my laptop, so I do have an appreciation for customizability, but when it comes to mobile devices I want them to be fast, responsive, and easy to use. Apple devices really have reached a level of maturity that is hard to match, at least for me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NotSoCheapCharlie said:

I just got a 13 Pro Max and the battery is great. My 12 Pro Max typically lasted me 1 day and a half before needing a recharge, the 13 is nearing two full days. Bigger battery, a more efficient SoC, along with software optimizations, really make this phone shine. 

Apple silicon is just amazing nowadays. This year I got an M1 iPad Pro and an Apple watch too and honestly they are all a pleasure to use. Fast, battery efficient, smooth, almost glitch free, seamless integration between all of them. I did have an Android for about a year (2019-20) and, while pretty decent, I really wanted to go back to an iPhone. Android is just not as solid IMO, although that will depend on the specific implementation you use, of course. I run Windows and Linux in my laptop, so I do have an appreciation for customizability, but when it comes to mobile devices I want them to be fast, responsive, and easy to use. Apple devices really have reached a level of maturity that is hard to match, at least for me.

If you're in the Apple ecosphere and within their walls, it's nice as all their stuff talks to each other. Easy to use.

Although, not a fan of the Apple watch. While good, IMO, the Samsung Watch 4 is far better.

9 minutes ago, Kickoff said:

If you're in the Apple ecosphere and within their walls, it's nice as all their stuff talks to each other. Easy to use.

Although, not a fan of the Apple watch. While good, IMO, the Samsung Watch 4 is far better.

I agree.

I too cannot find myself to get the Apple watch. 

Everyone I know who has one seems to love it, but I enjoy wearing a nice watch.

I would guess a Apple Watch would be perfect solution for those who cannot pull their phones out at a work place.

15 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

I agree.

I too cannot find myself to get the Apple watch. 

Everyone I know who has one seems to love it, but I enjoy wearing a nice watch.

I would guess a Apple Watch would be perfect solution for those who cannot pull their phones out at a work place.

Same, I refuse to charge a watch. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Kickoff said:

While good, IMO, the Samsung Watch 4 is far better.

I just recently retired my Gear Sport, and now wear the 46mm Watch 4 Classic. So far I am quite happy with it. One of the design choices that have me preferring the Samsung vision over the Apple one is that my watch 'looks' like a watch. I do know there are square mechanical watches out there, but for the most part, watches have round faces. I like my watch to have a round face. 🙂 

I got my old ancient Nokia out of the cupboard and it was dead. Not surprising because of how long it has been there. I was debating buying a new battery. I plugged in the charger overnight and the next day it was fully charged . Four days later it still shows a full charge. Still good for a loaner.

As a contrast, I was setting up Apple maps on my iPhone X. It had over 70 percent charge. It took maybe an hour to set up the map using WiFi and I got a low battery warning, That is pathetic!

This is just an aside. The new charging accessory I got for my phone is a 2021 Toyota Corolla Altis Hybrid Premium "Safety" model. Instead of an ashtray, this one has a built in Qi charging shelf built into the center console. There are no required wires or cables to plug in, I just set the phone in the tray when I'm going for a drive, and the phone gets it's charge. It's a fairly expensive charging accessory, but it does a great job. 🙂 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gary Loei said:

I got my old ancient Nokia out of the cupboard and it was dead. Not surprising because of how long it has been there. I was debating buying a new battery. I plugged in the charger overnight and the next day it was fully charged . Four days later it still shows a full charge. Still good for a loaner.

As a contrast, I was setting up Apple maps on my iPhone X. It had over 70 percent charge. It took maybe an hour to set up the map using WiFi and I got a low battery warning, That is pathetic!

If the Nokia is a smart phone (net capable) it's fair to compare if not - just apple and orange. My iPhone 12PM averages 3-4 days between charges, but I close apps when not in use and hardly ever make a call, do send many pics though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NotSoCheapCharlie said:

Yeah my experience totally! I've move to an all Apple setup now, big productivity boost in my work from the seamless integrations. Integrations between Android and Windows I always found hacky requiring third party apps that are awkward to setup and keep working.  Maybe better with Chromebook? 

I'm still on the 11 pro max, not sure about upgrading before the 14 later this year.  

• 1 month later...

I broke down and purchased my new iPhone 13 today.  They gave me $600 credit for my iPhone 11 (outstanding condition) so I really only paid about $500 (after taxes and a new cover).

One thing I noticed right away is the 5G is faster than the 4G, which makes since.

The security is much more intense as many of the apps are not allowing me to just get in like I am used to.

I lost all access to my K-Bank so I will have to wait until I return to Thailand to visit the Bank for a reset.

I know the phones are expensive but I find if you upgrade every 2 years you end up spending only $200-300 a year average (over two years).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

I broke down and purchased my new iPhone 13 today.  They gave me $600 credit for my iPhone 11 (outstanding condition) so I really only paid about $500 (after taxes and a new cover).

One thing I noticed right away is the 5G is faster than the 4G, which makes since.

The security is much more intense as many of the apps are not allowing me to just get in like I am used to.

I lost all access to my K-Bank so I will have to wait until I return to Thailand to visit the Bank for a reset.

I know the phones are expensive but I find if you upgrade every 2 years you end up spending only $200-300 a year average (over two years).

All Apple products have excellent resale value, I upgrade my iPhone, Macbook Pro, Apple Watch & iPad every 18 months to 2 years, for minimal cost.

Edited by Syco
  • Thanks 1

On 25/12/2021 at 19:03, jaykao said:

I'm still on the 11 pro max, not sure about upgrading before the 14 later this year. 

If the 14 pro max has usb c instead of the outdated stupid lightning will buy and wife wants my 12 pro max. Seems logical they will do it as it will take about an hour to push 6 min. 8k video thru a lightning connection.