IGNORED

Huge increase in required insurance for Non O-A

davidge

Foreigners applying for non-immigrant (O-A) visas for stays in Thailand of up to one year are now required to have a health insurance policy with minimum coverage of three million baht for in-patient medical fees, instead of the previous 400,000 baht.

Deputy Public Health Minister Sathit Pitutecha said today (Tuesday) that the new rule is intended to ensure that they will receive proper medical treatment if they fall ill during their long stay in the country.

According to the Thai Immigration Bureau and the Department of Consular Affairs, 3,768 foreigners were granted non-immigrant visas last and this year.

The insurance policies can either be purchased in Thailand or in their home country, but the coverage amount of foreign issued policies must be on a par with the sum stipulated in policies issued in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I’m afraid I’m going to have to refrain from commenting too much as I don’t want to break rule 2b.

This makes getting a Non O ‘for Retirement’ rather than the Non O-A even more of a no-brainer.

This requirement for insurance must violate diplomatic agreements between Thailand and many other nations.  The US does not require Thais to pay for insurance to enter the US.  Why does Thailand require US citizens to pay for insurance to enter Thailand?  It breaks international norms, surely.  Besides, it so obviously racist and a scam.

5 minutes ago, cbmgolfer said:

This requirement for insurance must violate diplomatic agreements between Thailand and many other nations.  The US does not require Thais to pay for insurance to enter the US.  Why does Thailand require US citizens to pay for insurance to enter Thailand?  It breaks international norms, surely.  Besides, it so obviously racist and a scam.

I fear you have already answered your own question.

(Perhaps look into who has a financial interest in Insurance companies - both the aforementioned B3M requirement as well as the B100K "covid insurance" policies for tourists.)

8 minutes ago, joe_momma said:

I fear you have already answered your own question.

(Perhaps look into who has a financial interest in Insurance companies - both the aforementioned B3M requirement as well as the B100K "covid insurance" policies for tourists.)

Yea I get the picture.  Recently planning to send the wife back for 5 months .. was planning to join for 2-3 months in the middle.  Looks like it’s not happening as I’m not paying $600/mo for the scam insurance… 

now hoping for a diving trip to Phillipines and let’s see how the local government folks respond to the wife bitching at them cause I can’t come home because they are greedy.   $600/mo much better spent in Phils 😉🤫

12 hours ago, davidge said:

I’m afraid I’m going to have to refrain from commenting too much as I don’t want to break rule 2b.

This makes getting a Non O ‘for Retirement’ rather than the Non O-A even more of a no-brainer.

I wonder how long it will be before they introduce a similar compulsory insurance for Non O visa extensions as well :unsure:, to me it doesn't make sense that they have the requirement for Non O-A but no such requirement for Non O after the initial 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, shagwell said:

I wonder how long it will be before they introduce a similar compulsory insurance for Non O visa extensions as well :unsure:, to me it doesn't make sense that they have the requirement for Non O-A but no such requirement for Non O after the initial 3 months.

I think exactly the same

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

3 hours ago, shagwell said:

3 hours ago, Soi7 said:

I think exactly the same

It’s quite strange that they don’t seem to realise that there’s more than one ‘retirement visa’ - unless they’re deliberately ignoring the one that makes money under the table for certain people. I guess there are various types of Non O and they’re targeting retirees in particular.

We’ll see how this change works out in practice. For the initial application the Health Insurance requirement was added to the Non O last year. I assume this increase will also apply. I guess more people will just enter on a TR and convert it.

It’s also an assumption at this stage that it will apply to Extensions based on a Non O-A as well but it would be strange if it wasn’t. Given recent changes, unlikely there’ll be any ‘grandfathering’ so it will probably apply to everyone.

If they do start applying it to Extensions based on a Non O then the agents will get busier.

• Like 2

I am worried now, as I just got an O-A renewal from an agent so I did not need to get the insurance.

But I am heading back to the UK next month...when I come back what will Immigration at the airport look for?

17 minutes ago, article22 said:

I am worried now, as I just got an O-A renewal from an agent so I did not need to get the insurance.

But I am heading back to the UK next month...when I come back what will Immigration at the airport look for?

No reports of them checking anything about insurance. Just make sure you have a re-entry permit - which I assume the agent would have done anyway.

Obviously, you will need Covid insurance under the current restrictions in order to get your Thailand Pass. If they operate it the same way as for the CofE it means you’ll need Covid Insurance for the entire stay allowed by your visa - which will be near enough 12 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Philippines Addicts about to get busier 555

But no real need to worry.

The Post today reported that Cabinet has approved a new scheme where in return for investing just $1M USD, you get a 1 year Visa WITH a work permit.

Make sure you get in line early to avoid the queues.

• Haha 3

When there was talk of this with the requirements last year there was some caveat re for those long termers who had I think 3m Baht in assets this would also be acceptable - and allow the older guys with no chance of getting insurance the chance to stay no sure if this is still the case .

For the other standard retirement visas and marriage number of other variables that would make it more complex such as those who have Thai Social security and medical coverage etc, those with company medical coverage even through maybe not at 3m level.

Think likely the 20 year Thai elite visa will be the potential go to for those who could afford it .

Just a shame that at a time when the domestic coin and those seeking long term life have to now address these issues 

cbmgolfer, the Philippines is not admitting tourists at the moment. I think its actually harder to enter than Thailand. Check the PAL website for entry conditions. 

36 minutes ago, Billy No Mates123 said:

……Think likely the 20 year Thai elite visa will be the potential go to for those who could afford it……

I read this and thought of Swift’s quote about oysters.

-  It was a brave man who first ate an oyster

And I have similar sentiments about the 20 year elite visa!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billy No Mates123 said:

Thai Social security and medical coverage

i Have this full medical from the Thai SS but pretty sure they will still require private Insurance.

As it was when i bought my condo the money had to come in from outside of Thailand. Despite the fact I worked and paid taxes here and earned the money here it STILL had to come from outside the country. Just another rule that makes zero sense.

So making those of us that are retired and covered 100% with Thai SS medical coverage get another policy just another one of those rules.

• Like 1

babydollsaddict.gif

Agreed @Soi7,  try hard to see upsides to all this but seems getting more complex to stay here,  I try and remain balanced but in recent times the tension seems to be upping .   

Is this also a requirement for the annual visa EXTENSION for a non immigrant O-A retirement visa? Any reliable information anyone?

30 minutes ago, 555 said:

Is this also a requirement for the annual visa EXTENSION for a non immigrant O-A retirement visa? Any reliable information anyone?

Not yet but i would bet it will at some point

babydollsaddict.gif

A Non O-A is valid for 90 days. So I imagine when first arriving on this visa the insurance could be covered with travel insurance rather than health insurance. 
Two problems might be having the out patient cover, which I think is still 40k Baht, on travel insurance.
And if extending for 1 year you would probably need proper health insurance.

If they introduce this for Non O visas I will consider 2 or 3 shorter trips per year with a multi trip annual travel insurance policy. Health insurance for me cost several thousand Pounds and has too many exclusions to make it a reasonable deal.

That said, it might just be another way of pushing people towards agents where the costs are spread around. That does seem to be the way they want to go and would probably work better at the office than thousands of individuals choking up the place. If that were made 100% legal I would consider paying a few thousand baht for the service.

Edited by Geordie59

1 hour ago, Soi7 said:

Not yet but i would bet it will at some point

Put a 5 year limit on it and I'll take the bet (a beer!) No need to freak out just yet. 

Just now, ex-pat said:

Put a 5 year limit on it and I'll take the bet (a beer!) No need to freak out just yet. 

Not freaking out at all whatever happens happens I assume I'll be able to use my Thai social insurance since I'm covered 100% but it's going to fuk up a lot of people no question if they insist on this

babydollsaddict.gif

The following is a response from the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C.. I enquired if our local medical insurance would be accepted for tourist visa requirements.

As long as you can obtain the letter from the Insurance company indicating the COVID-19 related coverage that meets requirement, that should be good.

Best,
Visa Section
Consular Office,
Royal Thai Embassy,
2300 Kalorama Rd., N. W.,
Washington, DC 20008.
E-m

1 hour ago, Geordie59 said:

A Non O-A is valid for 90 days. So I imagine when first arriving on this visa the insurance could be covered with travel insurance rather than health insurance. 
Two problems might be having the out patient cover, which I think is still 40k Baht, on travel insurance.
And if extending for 1 year you would probably need proper health insurance.

If they introduce this for Non O visas I will consider 2 or 3 shorter trips per year with a multi trip annual travel insurance policy. Health insurance for me cost several thousand Pounds and has too many exclusions to make it a reasonable deal.

That said, it might just be another way of pushing people towards agents where the costs are spread around. That does seem to be the way they want to go and would probably work better at the office than thousands of individuals choking up the place. If that were made 100% legal I would consider paying a few thousand baht for the service.

The O-A is good for 1 year.

Edit to add: After hitting submit realized also you're correct it's valid for 90 days, but once used allows for a 1 year stay.

Edited by forcebwithu