IGNORED

EVA - cancellation of flights from USA to BKK

Luv2Phuket

25 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good question

The press release was  vague on testing requirements for transit passengers, just saying something like they would be announced.

My guess is that transit passengers will need to at least pass the same pre-flight testing requirements as those who are staying in Taiwan (negative PCR test within 2 days of travel), but I doubt there will be testing on arrival for those who are just transiting to other countries.

I don't know about that...Japan still has some restrictive testing requirements if you want to fly to Japan, but if you are a transit passenger they do not apply to you.  Perhaps Taiwan will follow suit.

21 hours ago, ctp2018 said:

I have plenty of the at home tests distributed by the government, but where is a good place to get a PCR test in Southern California?

The sucky part is that you will need to be tested on the way back as well. Not going until January, so hopefully it will be back to normal by then.

1 hour ago, KanoMike said:

The sucky part is that you will need to be tested on the way back as well. Not going until January, so hopefully it will be back to normal by then.

Only if flying EVA RT.

My itineraries involving EVA are only from USA into BKK (one through Chicago; the other LAX). I am flying Singapore on the way back on both.

My flights are in November and late January. Hoping that we have more "personal experience" feedback long before then.

I just got an email from China Airlines saying Taipei has opened for transit through. I checked prices for the same dates as my ANA flights ($850 RT San Francisco to BKK) and see it’s $802.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

2 hours ago, forqalso said:

I just got an email from China Airlines saying Taipei has opened for transit through. I checked prices for the same dates as my ANA flights ($850 RT San Francisco to BKK) and see it’s $802.

Ditto, but the price you are quoting on the CI site is one way... you have to select both legs of the flight so more like $1450 RT...  VS

ANA $1k; JAL ;$1200; EVA $1300 ... all prices aproximate...

I prefer to fly premium econ....

A search of CI Premium Econ seats shows crazy ridiculous @ $2365...  VS

JAL $1644 or ANA $1940... EVA at $1890

PLUS if you go thru Japan, no test required...  TPE has a 48hr prior to departure PCR test requirement...

For me;  CI TPE is off the list until they get competitive...

2 hours ago, Saddic said:

Ditto, but the price you are quoting on the CI site is one way... you have to select both legs of the flight so more like $1450 RT...  VS

ANA $1k; JAL ;$1200; EVA $1300 ... all prices aproximate...

I prefer to fly premium econ....

A search of CI Premium Econ seats shows crazy ridiculous @ $2365...  VS

JAL $1644 or ANA $1940... EVA at $1890

PLUS if you go thru Japan, no test required...  TPE has a 48hr prior to departure PCR test requirement...

For me;  CI TPE is off the list until they get competitive...

Oops , I just looked at the the outbound. I’ll stick with my $850 round trip.  I have flown China Airlines round trip around that price, hopefully my trip after this upcoming will be with them, at a reasonable price.  Their schedule is much better for me. 

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

Taiwan can go pound sand as long as they require RT-PCR test for transit.  Sounds like they are not going to allow you to wander around the airport either.

Hong Kong tried the test for transit thing at first, but that but it only lasted for about a month or two.  Hopefully Taiwan gets a clue soon.  I won't be booking anything through there until that is dropped. 

It will probably be understaffed chaos for the first month or two anyways, especially with all this extra stuff they need to deal with.

Edited by Kale

33 minutes ago, Kale said:

Hong Kong tried the test for transit thing at first, but that but it only lasted for about a month or two.  Hopefully Taiwan gets a clue soon.  I won't be booking anything through there until that is dropped. 

It will probably be understaffed chaos for the first month or two anyways, especially with all this extra stuff they need to deal with.

I have to agree with you.
Does anyone know how Singapore stacks up to what’s going on in Taiwan and Hong Kong?  Last I heard they required a PCR test (I think) to use the SFO-SIN-BKK route.

I may be thinking too mutt. 

Can someone point me to a Taiwan CDC or other official document that states that a PCR test is required for transit. What I have read is a bit ambiguous.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/rYB7LWBxxycgJznNucXoiw?typeid=158

Is a transit the same as an arrival?

The above link, Section I, details the procedure required for "arrivals".  From that, an arrival is one that is staying in Taiwan.  Sections II, III, and IV are the same.

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I may be thinking too mutt. 

Can someone point me to a Taiwan CDC or other official document that states that a PCR test is required for transit. What I have read is a bit ambiguous.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/rYB7LWBxxycgJznNucXoiw?typeid=158

Is a transit the same as an arrival?

The above link, Section I, details the procedure required for "arrivals".  From that, an arrival is one that is staying in Taiwan.  Sections II, III, and IV are the same.

I haven't found anything from official gov't links.  Only from the airlines.

https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en/discover/promotion/current-offer/NAR/transitlifted

Requirements for Transfer/Transit are as follows:

1. Negative COVID-19 PCR Test Result: All transit passengers are mandatory to present a certificate of a negative COVID-19 PCR test collection date within two calendar days before boarding the flight to Taipei (excluding the flight date). 
  2. Both flight segments for transferring in Taiwan must under the same itinerary and ticket (no separate tickets).
  3. The connection time between flights is within 12 hours; Stopover time for transfer may not exceed 12 hours and cross-day is not allowed.
  4. Required to stay at the designated China Airlines transit area when arrive TPE airport.
  5. Transfers to/from China are currently been SUSPENDED.
  6. Passengers should present valid Travel Documents (Passport, Visa, etc.) which are required by the countries of their final destination (or documents for other transfer places between TPE and final Destination)
  7. Passengers must fit for the quarantine measure requirements (PCR or Vaccination) of their final destination countries

3 minutes ago, Kale said:

I haven't found anything from official gov't links.  Only from the airlines.

https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en/discover/promotion/current-offer/NAR/transitlifted

Thanks!

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Have a United/ANA flight in August. Was excited to see the update until the PCR test non-sense. Hopefully this changes by January 2023.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2022 at 11:34, Kickoff said:

Have a United/ANA flight in August. Was excited to see the update until the PCR test non-sense. Hopefully this changes by January 2023.

Looks like it already has changed!

If I am reading this correctly (and I certainly hope that I am), as of July 14, transit passengers will no longer need a negative PCR test 2 days before flying EVA via TPE:

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/W0PeXU928EGDh6jpHsEwGQ?typeid=158

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Looks like it already has changed!

If I am reading this correctly (and I certainly hope that I am), as of July 14, transit passengers will no longer need a negative PCR test 2 days before flying EVA via TPE:

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/W0PeXU928EGDh6jpHsEwGQ?typeid=158

If this turns out to be true this makes me very happy.  Looking to book for November sometime soon and EVA is my #1 choice.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love EVA as an airline but their pricing for business class from the US are higher now than Cathay or Asiana.  Used to be they were a bargain.

• 2 months later...

Eva do still require masks on flights and attendants are fully kitted out - masks/shields/plastic suits.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The Staff more resemble hospital staff over airlines staff.  555

But great service once again.

• 1 year later...
On 01/04/2022 at 08:38, Roadglide said:

I was on a JAL flight from LAX to NRT that arrived late, myself and 5 or 6 other people missed the connection to BKK, so JAL gave all of us vouchers for the bus to Haneda.  It was a little hard to follow the directions to find the bus and they also stop at the domestic terminal in Haneda first, then the international one.

Does anyone know if JAL still hands out free vouchers for the bus from Haneda to Narita? My flight on JAL from BKK to Tokyo, lands in Haneda, and then you have to transfer to Narita before the next connection to SAN.

It sounds like taxi fare between the two places is very expensive.

40 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Does anyone know if JAL still hands out free vouchers for the bus from Haneda to Narita? My flight on JAL from BKK to Tokyo, lands in Haneda, and then you have to transfer to Narita before the next connection to SAN.

Don't know if they do but you can get to Narita from Haneda by train or by bus for much cheaper than a taxi. 3200 yen ($21 USD) for the shuttle bus. 65-85 minutes.

50 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

https://visitjapan-vegetarian.com/how-to-travel-between-tokyos-narita-and-haneda-airport/