Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

EVA - cancellation of flights from USA to BKK

Luv2Phuket

FUCK! They better extend the fucking miles that I cannot redeem! 555

I am booked with them in early November, but I have a back-up booked. Unfortunately, my back-up is on Cathay, who I'm not overly confident in at this juncture.

1 hour ago, Saddic said:

Taipei declines to open to transit... again...  If you booked China Airlines or EVA... good luck to you... have a Plan B... (SIN, NRT, NHD, ICN...)

I seriously doubt they will open this year... (or next)...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/04/28/taiwan-bans-transit-passengers-through-september-30-2022/?fbclid=IwAR0zOUIUfKyUTtBGP439I-MSq-KK4R7NyJiIqMtPA9gSzmBd1ENjgs_wJnM

Bummer, there goes my BKK-TPE TPE-SFO plans for September 20th on EVA.

:Anger:

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

I assume there was no reason given? (I guess most would assume Covid, or demand slow down?)

1 hour ago, ctp2018 said:

I assume there was no reason given? (I guess most would assume Covid, or demand slow down?)

There IS demand, the problem is that many countries are still restricting travel because of Covid.  For example Japan is still restricting arrivals, if you want to visit Japan for tourism forget about it.

Back in 2017-2019 I was booking my EVA tickets as round trips originating in BKK.  I had a return ticket for April 2020 that was never used.  Just assume I'm screwed and will never see that $$ again.

That is not good news. I was hoping to return in September. For me, EVA really has the most convenient departure and arrival times. 

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Not really surprised they extended the no transit ban but until September 30th seems like quite the jump.  I was hoping that the ban was lifted because like others I really like the EVA flight times out of Chicago (ORD).  

Looks like my plans to use EVA in November are dropping very fast. 

I bet the next announcement will be a ban for the rest of 2022.

Who knows what's instore for EVA now.

Does anyone know if EVA is flying other routes, otherwise their business may be in jeopardy.

5 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Does anyone know if EVA is flying other routes, otherwise their business may be in jeopardy.

I think they're still running freight, but not certain.

Also, they have opened Taiwan up for some business travel with testing and quarantine restrictions. That's the part that baffles me.

19 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

Taiwan is still closed to transit passengers.  They have extended the planned reopening several times.  They have now extended it again until at least Sept 30.  So no transit through Taipei.  Only travel to/from Tapei.

Edited by Kale

China Air and EVA must be losing huge amounts of cash. Their employees must really be hurting. I wonder how many customers will permanently move on to other carriers. Are they owned by the Taiwan government? If not, is the government giving them financial help?

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

According to Wikipedia EVA is privately held. Makes you wonder how they can survive such a long shut down.

On 29/04/2022 at 08:00, Saddic said:

Taipei declines to open to transit... again...  If you booked China Airlines or EVA... good luck to you... have a Plan B... (SIN, NRT, NHD, ICN...)

I seriously doubt they will open this year... (or next)...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/04/28/taiwan-bans-transit-passengers-through-september-30-2022/?fbclid=IwAR0zOUIUfKyUTtBGP439I-MSq-KK4R7NyJiIqMtPA9gSzmBd1ENjgs_wJnM

Well this is annoying since transiting through TPE offers the best departure times (for me) at 1:00AM as I just immediately sleep after take off & less time traveled. Hopefully it is restored by December/January but doubtful.

Once Taiwan opens up fully to tourist travel, will know for sure if something else is going on with EVA if they don’t resume their schedule.

On 02/05/2022 at 11:53, ctp2018 said:

According to Wikipedia EVA is privately held. Makes you wonder how they can survive such a long shut down.

They claim they are making record profits from their cargo service, so I think that is how they are surviving now.

• 3 weeks later...

I received an email from EVA today. They asked me to complete a questionnaire about what my expectations were concerning a full return to EVA flights. They involved checkin procedure, meals and EVA lounges and several other things. I don't know what this portends for the near future but it is the first questionnaire of this sort since the pandemic started. They did not have a comment section so I couldn't say 'just open up Taiwan for through transit flights, NOW.'

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, padfoot said:

I received an email from EVA today. They asked me to complete a questionnaire about what my expectations were concerning a full return to EVA flights. They involved checkin procedure, meals and EVA lounges and several other things. I don't know what this portends for the near future but it is the first questionnaire of this sort since the pandemic started. They did not have a comment section so I couldn't say 'just open up Taiwan for through transit flights, NOW.'

Air transit through Taiwan is banned through September 30, 2022. Taiwan is currently experiencing massive numbers of new covid cases weekly. EVA was prompt in refunding my money for canceled flights in March-April, 2020. I gave up on EVA and China Air and booked with JAL for October-November. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 25/05/2022 at 10:30, likeaking said:

Air transit through Taiwan is banned through September 30, 2022. Taiwan is currently experiencing massive numbers of new covid cases weekly. EVA was prompt in refunding my money for canceled flights in March-April, 2020. I gave up on EVA and China Air and booked with JAL for October-November. 

That transit ban is really doing the trick!

They just extend my Gold status for another 2 years. It was supposed to end in 2020, got extended to 2022, now to the end of 2024. It is no use for EVA since cannot fly with them, but using it on other Star Alliance airlines (mainly ANA and United for me) does help a bit.

10 minutes ago, h.harris said:

They just extend my Gold status for another 2 years. It was supposed to end in 2020, got extended to 2022, now to the end of 2024. It is no use for EVA since cannot fly with them, but using it on other Star Alliance airlines (mainly ANA and United for me) does help a bit.

I read somewhere they were extending mileage expiration, but, looking at my account, I have 75,000 miles that expire March 2023.

I'm hoping like Hell they start back up asap so those do not go to waste!

• 3 weeks later...

Taipei is back in business for transit passengers as of June 15!

From EVA's Twitter feed:

TAIWAN CDC UPDATE: It's happening!  We are thrilled to announce the Taiwan CDC has shortened the mandatory quarantine to 3 days and has lifted the transit ban for all transiting passengers starting June 15th.

It remains to be seen what kind of testing requirements they will place on transit passengers, but GREAT to have EVA back in the game!

As noted in another thread, I immediately booked an award ticket for November when I saw the tweet.

I know a little off topic but I received an email from Asiana Air informing me they were taking their 380s out of mothballs.  So I logged into their webpage to see what kind of flights they might be offering.  LAX-BKK February 2, 2023 to April 8, 2023 in business class.

LAX-BKK Depart 11 AM with 1 hour connection arrive BKK 10:05 PM next day.

BKK-LAX Depart 11:55 PM (midnight) arrive LAX 9:40 AM. 

Price $4229 RT.

And for those never flown in a 380 that is a sweet ride.  I'm not even sure I'll ever go back to Thailand and I am tempted to buy this to lock in assuming it is refundable.  😜

On 14/06/2022 at 06:39, Luv2Phuket said:

Taipei is back in business for transit passengers as of June 15!

From EVA's Twitter feed:

TAIWAN CDC UPDATE: It's happening!  We are thrilled to announce the Taiwan CDC has shortened the mandatory quarantine to 3 days and has lifted the transit ban for all transiting passengers starting June 15th.

It remains to be seen what kind of testing requirements they will place on transit passengers, but GREAT to have EVA back in the game!

As noted in another thread, I immediately booked an award ticket for November when I saw the tweet.

Are the transit passengers actually going through TPE now as expected?

:ThankGod1:

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

3 hours ago, Syd Tybil said:

Are the transit passengers actually going through TPE now as expected?

:ThankGod1:

Good question

The press release was  vague on testing requirements for transit passengers, just saying something like they would be announced.

My guess is that transit passengers will need to at least pass the same pre-flight testing requirements as those who are staying in Taiwan (negative PCR test within 2 days of travel), but I doubt there will be testing on arrival for those who are just transiting to other countries.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5081-c06dc-2.html

It doesn't say anything in there about transit passenger requirements so it's still unknown what those will be. 

If it is anything like what happened in a lot of other airports, the first couple months are probably going to be hellish with understaffing and long lines.

Edited by Kale