IGNORED

EVA - cancellation of flights from USA to BKK

Luv2Phuket

Damn...that just kills one of the better routes from the West coast of the USA.  As much as I used to fly Cathay Pacific, with the changes that the Chinese Communist govt. has made in Hong Kong, I personally will no longer transit Hong Kong.

11 minutes ago, mr21 said:

Eva's red-eye flight from LAX was my preferred flight to LOS pre-pandemic. Avoided bad traffic in LA, great on-flight service, short layover in TPE, and late morning arrival to BKK.

I do (or did) the same thing, except from SFO. However, for the last few trips, I flew SFO-SIN non-stop on UAL combined with the short hop from SIN-BKK or DMK. Got me into Bangkok around 10:00 am, but the non-stop to SIN is a ball buster.

24 minutes ago, Roadglide said:

Damn...that just kills one of the better routes from the West coast of the USA.  As much as I used to fly Cathay Pacific, with the changes that the Chinese Communist govt. has made in Hong Kong, I personally will no longer transit Hong Kong.

I don't even know the status with Cathay right now - it doesn't come up on any award flight searches. Is Hong Kong still open for transit passengers?

I'm booked with them RT in February 2022, so I hope like Hell they are flying the routes then!

16 minutes ago, mr21 said:

Eva's red-eye flight from LAX was my preferred flight to LOS pre-pandemic. Avoided bad traffic in LA, great on-flight service, short layover in TPE, and late morning arrival to BKK.

Like you, that late night departure was one of my favorite flights going to TPE/BKK and they had a departure around 5:30 p.m. out of BKK coming back that also was great. Hoong like Hell they stay on the schedule if/when TPE opens for transit passengers.

I told the phone rep how disappointed I was and that I loved their airline and their service. She said "it's been a really tough year."

• Like 3

Explains why I got an email from United saying to call them about my reservation (EVA flight booked w/ United Miles).  On hold right now.  Guess I know what to expect now.

Have to LoL about EVA canceling flights just as Thailand was opening up more, otherwise I would cry. 

Good news is I have a plan B in place, so still hoping that November trip plays out.

Try Japan Airlines (JAL).  Excellent service out of SAN (787) or LAX (777).

I just changed my basic economy from mid October to 2 November ($180) to avoid quarantine.  Hopefully no more changes.

787 economy is very comfortable.

United has a good hookup with ANA from LAX ... leaves LAX about 11 am, into Narita about 4pm then out to Bkk about 6:30 pm - arriving Bkk about Midnight.

I like the 2 -3 hour layover in Tokyo, time to stretch legs, get some real food and drink, blast a full size toilet, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I don't even know the status with Cathay right now - it doesn't come up on any award flight searches. Is Hong Kong still open for transit passengers?

I'm booked with them RT in February 2022, so I hope like Hell they are flying the routes then!

Like you, that late night departure was one of my favorite flights going to TPE/BKK and they had a departure around 5:30 p.m. out of BKK coming back that also was great. Hoong like Hell they stay on the schedule if/when TPE opens for transit passengers.

I told the phone rep how disappointed I was and that I loved their airline and their service. She said "it's been a really tough year."

I'm still booked with Cathay on Nov 23 via American Airlines miles. Aside from American changing a couple of my flights, the Cathay portion of the trip looks to be in place just as it was when I booked it. I wonder if anyone has experience with them changing or canceling recently. 

It looks like EVA has cancelled all flights (SFO-BKK) until Jan 2, 2022.

This does not bode well for folks in the USA - that still leaves Cathay, but those were the two that had great routes with minimal layovers.

image.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

said this a few times.  but will continue for future fliers..  if flying to thailand book qatar.   they have been flying daily for the last year from usa to doh than Doha to Phuket or bkk.   pretty sure they never had to cancel any flights and have great on time record.    

they have been the most reliable during the past year..

although I live on west coast and travelling via Pacific ocean would be quicker. I flew them 2x to thailand this past year.  the Asian airlines are just not being reliable  (which was needed when have CoE).

if you want some comfort from reliability.   book qatar

5 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm hoping (but not yet booked) to fly CNX-BKK-HKG-YVR one-way mid-November, and Cathay-Pacific do look to be operating the Bangkok & Vancouver legs (with a 6-hour stopover) at-least Tuesdays/Wednesdays, so I do hope/expect transit is operating. :unsure:

They're not cheap, but at-least no 10-hour stopover in Bangkok or Incheon, however the main problem I'm finding with planning is to get the PCR-test done (and then complete the online ArriveCAN permission & print out the response), within 72-hours of the take-off (from the connecting-airport) of the final flight-into-Canada.  That eliminates much-cheaper-but-longer options for me. :sad:

There did appear to be a cheaper route from BKK to HKG on Thai or Ethiopian, then Air Canada to Vancouver, but although a couple of travel-agents were offering it, there didn't/don't appear to be any real ACTUAL AC-flights to Hong Kong, so I'm being wary of that option ! :o

Lastly to say, Thanks to the OP for the heads-up that connecting in Taipei is still a problem, as that similarly hasn't stopped TAs from proposing routes on Eva with a transit, a cynic might think bait-&-switch/cancel is still happening, and to hell with your actual attempted-journey ! :Hair_Out1:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

although I live on west coast and travelling via Pacific ocean would be quicker. I flew them 2x to thailand this past year.  the Asian airlines are just not being reliable  (which was needed when have CoE).

book qatar

I assume that you travel from the West Coast to New York/JFK, and then on to Doha, and then to Thailand? (With no change of planes)

I have tickets on EVA for January 1st redeye from SFO to BKK with a layover in TPE. I usually take the redeye flight 10-20 min after midnite on new years eve. Cheapest flights and gets you there January 2nd by 10am. Love EVA! They haven't canceled my tickets and I haven't got an email. 

I had plans to change my dates anyway until January 16th just to let a little more time pass for covid reasons, and then just stay a little longer. 

Anyone know what happens on a canceled flight? Do u just get immediately refunded?

EVA is my preferred airlines; I like the early morning departure and mid morning arrival. 

Taipei has been very strict on through flights since the pandemic hit. Last July I had to return to the U.S. and had three different flights canceled trying to get home. I got to know the folks at the EVA office pretty well. 

I finally took Korean Air. The flight had a 12 hour holdover in Seoul. The airport was like a ghost town. The flight from Bangkok to Seoul was about 10% full; the onward flight was about 25% full. Korean Air was a good airline.

EVA has extended my miles deadline twice. The miles are currently good until the middle on net year. I hope to add to them this coming spring.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

Yah, was looking at flight via China Airlines (which also transits via TPE)...  Their website errors out... and gives a popup about no transit via Taipei...

1 hour ago, ctp2018 said:

I assume that you travel from the West Coast to New York/JFK, and then on to Doha, and then to Thailand? (With no change of planes)

no LAX to Doha nonstop- transit  then off to 🇹🇭 

Edited by HimBadMan

2 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

said this a few times.  but will continue for future fliers..  if flying to thailand book qatar.   they have been flying daily for the last year from usa to doh than Doha to Phuket or bkk.   pretty sure they never had to cancel any flights and have great on time record.    

if you want some comfort from reliability.   book qatar

Qatar are the best airline that I have flown with in business but.......

If you are using AA Advantage miles USA-doh-bkk is 110,000 miles one way

in biz. If you go west, its 70,000 on JAL or CX in biz  or 110,000 in first.

I've only flown EVA in PE and was really impressed with them/

I cannot fathom why anyone would voluntarily fly long haul with a US carrier when there are so many great Asian airlines flying the same routes.

Edited by javasumatra

12 minutes ago, javasumatra said:

Qatar are the best airline that I have flown with in business but.......

If you are using AA Advantage miles USA-doh-bkk is 110,000 miles one way

in biz. If you go west, its 70,000 on JAL or CX in biz  or 110,000 in first.

I've only flown EVA in PE and was really impressed with them/

I cannot fathom why anyone would voluntarily fly long haul with a US carrier when there are so many great Asian airlines flying the same routes.

Yes not the best use of miles.    I usually buy paid business class tickets when they have good sales. $2500 and under. my last RT biz class ticket was $1300 with them it. flying QR biz gives me about $4200 EQDs. and just under 50K redeemable miles on AA. 

I've always tried used my miles to fly CX 1st or AA Business. so I disagree with u on that opinion.    CX business class is miles behind AA business class the past few years.   Hard Product, meals and IFE AA wins easily. AA gives u bedding and PJ'S. not CX. Service obviously goes to Cx.  but flying via HK u get to go to their great 1st class lounges.   and do a quick flight to bkk on their wide bodies.   not bad. 

I avoid JL.  their business class seats from US to Japan.  I don't enjoy.  usually the apex seats..    plus their flights from Japan to Thailand.. 6 hours are all on old neo shell biz class seats.   beyond uncomfortable.

those are oneworld members.

when I spend chase or united miles I will fly EVA or Singapore ..    waiting to try the new ANA business class.    been on top of my todo list since it come our right before pandemic 

Edited by HimBadMan

9 hours ago, LeyesHombre said:

I do (or did) the same thing, except from SFO. However, for the last few trips, I flew SFO-SIN non-stop on UAL combined with the short hop from SIN-BKK or DMK. Got me into Bangkok around 10:00 am, but the non-stop to SIN is a ball buster.

I do the same. There are usually a few flights between midnight to 1AM on EVA depending on the day to TPE then BKK. Generally just sleep about 75% of the way.

4 hours ago, joe_momma said:

It looks like EVA has cancelled all flights (SFO-BKK) until Jan 2, 2022.

This does not bode well for folks in the USA - that still leaves Cathay, but those were the two that had great routes with minimal layovers.

image.png

That's a bummer. 

3 hours ago, steelers50 said:

Anyone know what happens on a canceled flight? Do u just get immediately refunded?

If I understood the Rep, they should be able to process it for you during the phone call with their agent. 

Mine was an award ticket, so she emailed me a link to submit a request for refund and re-deposit of the miles.

I'm scheduled on EVA mid Dec BKK/LAX. It looks like they haven't officially cancelled yet but they're not selling seats so I guess that route is in limbo for Dec. Hopefully they won't take too long to make a final determination so I can make other plans.

7 hours ago, steelers50 said:

I had an EVA flight cancelled in 2019 when the flight attendants went on strike. I bought the ticket through the EVA website and there was a link on the website to apply for a refund. It took a few weeks for the credit to appear on my credit card statement.

My girl is "different". A different one everyday.

7 hours ago, steelers50 said:

I have tickets on EVA for January 1st redeye from SFO to BKK with a layover in TPE. I usually take the redeye flight 10-20 min after midnite on new years eve. Cheapest flights and gets you there January 2nd by 10am. Love EVA! They haven't canceled my tickets and I haven't got an email. 

I had plans to change my dates anyway until January 16th just to let a little more time pass for covid reasons, and then just stay a little longer. 

Had my flights canceled by EVA last year due to Covid.  I had to requests 2 separate refunds due to flight dates & EVA canceling flights. Took less than a week to have the money refunded to my credit card both x’s. Everything done via EVA website.

Flew JAL out of LAX this year.  Without any problems 

18 hours ago, typhoon42 said:

Try Japan Airlines (JAL).  Excellent service out of SAN (787) or LAX (777).

I just changed my basic economy from mid October to 2 November ($180) to avoid quarantine.  Hopefully no more changes.

787 economy is very comfortable.

Thats the route I have taken the last 5 trips, only downside is the return flight leaves early out of Bangkok.