IGNORED

Which smartphone should I buy?

xtremedude

I picked a Poco F3 as a replacement for my old Huawei P20. Poco are part of the Xiaomi family. Has a great snapdragon 870 chip so it'll handle pretty much every task you throw at it. Competent camera, huge high 120hz refresh rate, quality screen, 4520mh battery. I've had it for a year now and couldn't be happier. It was already a well priced phone but recently has come down to £279 in the UK. It's a huge amount of phone for the money and specced in a way that will suit someone who doesn't like to change their phone frequently. If it's available where you are I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

I came, I saw, I mongered!

On 28/09/2021 at 01:52, plyboard said:

Apple phones are a waste of money and all hype. Several other brands beat them and cost way less.

If money is no option Huawei is the best.

Top of the range Samsung phones are great, but overpriced. Mid range Samsung phones are terrible, so don't be tempted!

If you want value, then Xiaomi is by far the best.

Apple certainly does have its detractors but it still produces a quality product.

• Like 3

iphone is like a car that never breaks down, get 100 miles to the gallon, but you can only drive it on 5% of the roads.

if you have some basic knowledge of how smart phone works, you probably wouldn't want a iphone.  they make everything simpler for idiots but harder for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2021 at 22:22, hoopbhoy said:

I picked a Poco F3 as a replacement for my old Huawei P20. Poco are part of the Xiaomi family. Has a great snapdragon 870 chip so it'll handle pretty much every task you throw at it. Competent camera, huge high 120hz refresh rate, quality screen, 4520mh battery. I've had it for a year now and couldn't be happier. It was already a well priced phone but recently has come down to £279 in the UK. It's a huge amount of phone for the money and specced in a way that will suit someone who doesn't like to change their phone frequently. If it's available where you are I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

+1 - This thing is unbelievable value for around 300USD

• 1 month later...

I bought a Galaxy A32 4G about three months ago,  to replace my old S5. It was $540 AUD (Interest free payment plan at $15 per month for 36 months.)

A32 takes dual sim cards and also has an SDxc slot, plus 128Gb internal storage.  (The storage was the reason I upgraded. The S5 was constantly choking with only 16GB.)

I have been very happy with it so far.  It is way better than the S5 in (almost * ) every possible way, and cost less!

* My one gripe is that the battery is not replaceable, so when it gets old I will have to carry around a power pack with it.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

10 hours ago, ocka said:

* My one gripe is that the battery is not replaceable, so when it gets old I will have to carry around a power pack with it.

Or just get amphone repair shop to replace the battery for you.

That's what I just did with my note 9, as the phone is perfect but the battery was dying. Cost about 2000 baht for a genuine Samsung battery.

• 4 months later...

Highly recommend an Oppo.

I've had my Oppo Find X2 Pro for about 2 years and the hardware/software is better than most phones today.

The current model is Oppo Find X5 Pro.

It's about a third to half the price of the new Samsung Galaxy but equal to as good.

It just doesn't have the popular Samsung brand name, but who gives a fuck since who needs bragging rights when it comes to phones lol.

I play games on my Android handset I researched these recently and thought i'd share.

• Game phones 2022 
    • TOP TIER
      • ASUS ROG 5s Pro, Aug 21 release 
        • Cons: Wait for the July announcement of the ASUS ROG 6
      • Red Magic 7 pro, feb 22 release
        • Cons:  (cameras and battery could be better)
      • Lenovo Legion Y90 release Mar 22,
        •  Cons: has everything the red magic does but is chonky, same price as red magic, very Chinese market driven tho
      • Black Shark 4S Pro - (red magic has a faster GPU)
      • Samsung galaxy S22 ultra (burns my wallet)
    • MID TIER
      • Poco X4 Pro
      • One Plus 10 pro, released Jan 22
      • Motorola Moto G200

If I had to go out and buy a new handset to replace my ASUS ROG 3 from 2020, I'd be buying the Red Magic 7 pro by Nubia. So much bang for your buck and a steal at it's price.  https://www.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_red_magic_7_pro-11364.php

I use Samsung phones but my Thai gf hasn't had much luck with them. They run hot and both her s10 and S20 have delaminated. Is seems that the case is glued together and it conmes apart, from the heat I suspect.

I-phone is the way.  Would not own anything else.

On 07/10/2021 at 08:16, gsreyrey said:

iphone is like a car that never breaks down, get 100 miles to the gallon, but you can only drive it on 5% of the roads.

if you have some basic knowledge of how smart phone works, you probably wouldn't want a iphone.  they make everything simpler for idiots but harder for everyone else.

Yup, that pretty much sums up the iPhone cult.

Edited by Kale

1 minute ago, Kale said:

Pretty much.  iPhones are for people who like to feel like one of the techy cool kids without actually understanding much about tech.  They are just convinced they are the best because that's what all the other cool kid tech bros, who also don't understand much about tech, say.

Agree on the cool part. If you know tech, you also will understand why some go for the iPhone. 

4 minutes ago, Joeleg said:

Agree on the cool part. If you know tech, you also will understand why some go for the iPhone. 

I do.

I already explained that other part and don't need to repeat.

Edited by Kale

3 minutes ago, Kale said:

I do and they aren't 

Rapid question- need to answer in 30 seconds. How many chips are there in an  iPhone since 2014. 

8 hours ago, Kale said:

Yup, that pretty much sums up the iPhone cult.

learn something every day, didn't know product preference places you in a cult. Guess'n I'm also in a Ford cult.

3 hours ago, jetdoc said:

learn something every day, didn't know product preference places you in a cult. Guess'n I'm also in a Ford cult.

You are also in an "OLD" cult. Please do not ask me how I know.

Jack

22 hours ago, CosmoKram3r said:

Highly recommend an Oppo

Agreed. Had my current one for 2-3 years (reno something.) Served me very well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, axunjaxn said:

You are also in an "OLD" cult. Please do not ask me how I know.

Jack

Com'on Jack I'm only 83, hardly old ;o)

I use to be a Android guy and typically went for new Samsung Galaxy phones upon release. Nowadays, I prefer the simplicity of iPhones and its size. One thing I am not a fan of with Galaxy's nowadays is that in order to get the best spec'd model, you had to get their biggest phone. For example, the S21/S22 Ultra only came in one size and it's as big as possible for a phone. 

Recently, with the iPhone 12's, they started releasing Pro and Pro Max models with similar specs. The only real difference being is the battery and screen size. Since I like phones that fit nicely in my hand/pocket and I liked the idea of not having to compromise on much to get my top spec'd phone, I gravitated towards Apple's iPhone 12 Pro.

If price isn't an issue, you can go with either Samsung or Apple's latest lineup of phones.

Edited by Wurd88

I'm on my 3rd cubot phone now. Really like this brand, quality is amazing - they run stock android too.

What is a smart phone?

On 27/09/2021 at 01:40, xtremedude said:

My trusty Android phone that I bought 5 years ago is now in need of replacement.  It still works fine but I dropped it and the screen is cracked.  I am looking for a replacement Android phone but not sure which one to get.  I use the phone for taking snaps, Line, checking news and phone calls.  No playing games or watching videos.  What are some of the better smartphones out there that you would recommend?  Money is not an issue but I would like to get a good phone that is good value. 

I would recommend samsung s9 , relatively cheap now ($120 usd), camera is pretty good , great bluetooth that can connect to most modern TVs, just make sure you get the GSM unlocked version.  

16 hours ago, Wurd88 said:

Recently, with the iPhone 12's, they started releasing Pro and Pro Max models with similar specs. The only real difference being is the battery and screen size. Since I like phones that fit nicely in my hand/pocket and I liked the idea of not having to compromise on much to get my top spec'd phone, I gravitated towards Apple's iPhone 12 Pro.

If price isn't an issue, you can go with either Samsung or Apple's latest lineup of phones.

The iPhone 12 Pro and Max have different cameras (both triple cameras but different specs). This was the reason why the iPhone 12 (non-Pro) was the one to get. Also the reason why the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max have the same camera set up.

8 hours ago, rainman333 said:

I would recommend samsung s9 , relatively cheap now ($120 usd), camera is pretty good , great bluetooth that can connect to most modern TVs, just make sure you get the GSM unlocked version.  

If getting an older Samsung phone, the S10 Plus would be the choice as it has a triple camera set up, reverse wireless charging, and was the start of Samsung's One UI. I think Samsung ended support for it last year though. I do use the S10 5G as my travel out of the country phone. 

FWIW, I recent traded in my Fold 3 for the S22 Ultra and also carry an iPhone 13 Pro, so don't really have much skin in the game either way. I do main the S22 because one handed use is far better, has the S-pen, and the camera features are better though I do video on the iPhone. 

16 minutes ago, Kickoff said:

The iPhone 12 Pro and Max have different cameras (both triple cameras but different specs). This was the reason why the iPhone 12 (non-Pro) was the one to get. Also the reason why the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max have the same camera set up.

So are you saying that the 12 non Pro has a better camera than a 12 Pro Max ?

8 minutes ago, Syco said:

So are you saying that the 12 non Pro has a better camera than a 12 Pro Max ?

I should've been more specific, but the difference between the 12 and 12 Pro was just the telephoto camera. The difference between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max were the better specs for the telephoto (bit more zoom) and wide camera (much bigger sensor ie. better low light photos). But the telephoto camera isn't great on any of these. So the choice was really the 12 or the 12 Pro Max. 

edit just to add: if someone didn't want to spend extra for the 12 Pro Max, the 12 was the one to get as the 12 Pro wasn't really worth the extra money.

The 13 was different in that the Pro and Pro Max had the same camera set up, so the difference was screen size and battery size. 

Edited by Kickoff