IGNORED

Which smartphone should I buy?

xtremedude

I would recommend a 2nd hand Huawei Mate 20pro, I bought new in 2019 and its my daily driver as of now.

Cheap to buy now, still has Google Mobile Services and gets security updates.

Decent camera, OLED screen, 128GB storage, 6GB RAM and fast processor, mine is a dual sim.  Not 5g though.

Android 10

I use mine mainly for multiple apps and it has always performed admirably.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

mate 20 was great in 2018.  perfectly fine in 2019, above average in 2020, and today, it's barely mediocre.

mate series has always been overpriced for what it is, and it's getting worse and worse.  huawei is releasing the mate 50 pro next month, and the list price is probably going to be in the 1500 dollar range.  

best budget/value phone right now is probably something like redmi note 10 or honor play5t.

I have the Huawei p30 pro I bought in May 2019.  I really like it, have full access to google store and android updates.  It’s Leica camera was the best phone camera on the market at the time.  I don’t plan on upgrading anytime soon.  

Retired

20 hours ago, Garzan said:

For what you say you want, I think you'd do fine with something like a Samsung A52 or A52 5G. For what you say you want to do with it, there's no reason to pay for an 'S' model phone. 

Agreed Garzan, good value for mid price phone.  So many things I have liked since buying in May2021.  Make sure you get the 256gb model.  It is dual sim, with TWO slots, which is the only thing which has annoyed me.  So two sims OR one sim and one sd card.  (My previous phone had THREE slots so had two sims and one sd card.)  However, with 256gb onboard, there's a lot of room for pics and stuff while using two sims - even with all the bum fluff Samsung jams in their phones.  I bought an Evo Plus 512gb sd but took it out after about a week and put my AIS sim in.

Only need to charge my phone every 3 or 4 days and it's full, on fast charge, in about 1 hr10min.

I got a Redmi Note 10 a couple of months ago. 6000 bt. Outstanding phone and excellent value for money. I have 3 slots which is great as I fit 2 sims plus an sd card to store pics & mp3 music. Camera is excellent and I no longer bother to use my Sony or Fuji cameras. I like android and there are tons of free apps. I highly recommend a Redmi Note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

What kind of phone are using the TG ?

As they are all day on their phone for TF, selfies, phoning, internet, must be good quality

Just make a check on several girls, ask if they are satisfied

"If I give you 10K - 20K - 30K, wich phone would you purchase ?"

With a large panel of girls you will get your solution :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

They just got these in at Tukcom a few weeks ago, I looked at one out of curiosity....No way I would shell out the cash for a new one...They also just got in the Samsung phone that can be opened up to make a tablet, They only cost 60,000 baht...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fforest said:

They just got these in at Tukcom a few weeks ago, I looked at one out of curiosity....No way I would shell out the cash for a new one...

Thanks, I've never actually seen one in the flesh(so to speak) I'll have to go over to TukCom and take a look. I only like it because it must be easy to fit in a pocket.

What didn't you like about it, other than the price?

16 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Thanks, I've never actually seen one in the flesh(so to speak) I'll have to go over to TukCom and take a look. I only like it because it must be easy to fit in a pocket.

What didn't you like about it, other than the price?

Well I really did not kick the tires on this phone so I don't have anything to say about it good or bad.....I liked the folding just not the price....But I would be interested to hear what others think about it....

Edited by fforest
  • Thanks 1

I watch Louis Rossmann's YouTube channel , he repairs Apple stuff , iPhones, mac's ,etc .

( He also has an ongoing war with Apple over " right to repair" )

On a recent episode he mentioned his own phone is a Samsung S 10 e . As I'm probably in the market for a phone myself in the near future , I made a note to check them out .. I'm guessing he knows a decent phone ! 

My past 2 phones have been Vivo, bought at Tuckom , and currently a Xiaomi from Lazarda ..happy enough with both.

My first smartphones were apple, but then I came across my first Samsung phone and I was hooked.  The pics on my first S5 blew away the pics on my Apple 4S.  I've been hooked on Samsung ever since.  I've had an S8+ for 3 years now. Great pics.   Plan to travel to thailand next July.  It might be time for a new S21.  I saw the Zoom feature and the quality on the pics of the S21 Ultra are unbelievable. My kids are addicted to their Apple phones and watches, so it's a matter of personal preference.  I would never touch any chinese phone ever made, even if you gave it to me for free.

4 hours ago, seaman said:

What kind of phone are using the TG ?

As they are all day on their phone for TF, selfies, phoning, internet, must be good quality

Just make a check on several girls, ask if they are satisfied

"If I give you 10K - 20K - 30K, wich phone would you purchase ?"

With a large panel of girls you will get your solution :)

Pure genius! And I agree!

20 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

This is a cool phone. But other than the smaller form factor when it is folded, what else does it do at a premium price as the camera that comes with the flip is only above average? Also no dust resistance (minor nitpick), less durable. At that price an S21 Ultra would be the better deal.

I do have the latest fold version which has the same camera & durability limitations except it folds to a small tablet which makes it much more practical. I would recommend this to anyone willing to pay for it. 

To be honest nowadays there's really no reason to spend more than 300 US dollars on a new phone. For that money you can get a phone with an excellent camera 128gb storage and 6 or 8 gigs of Ram. My last phone I paid almost $600 for it and it still works and it works well but I won't pay over $300 for my next phone I just can't see why now you're getting more technology for less money

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

2 hours ago, Soi7 said:

To be honest nowadays there's really no reason to spend more than 300 US dollars on a new phone. For that money you can get a phone with an excellent camera 128gb storage and 6 or 8 gigs of Ram. My last phone I paid almost $600 for it and it still works and it works well but I won't pay over $300 for my next phone I just can't see why now you're getting more technology for less money

And this comes from a guy that owns one of each model ever made. 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

9 minutes ago, LeoTex said:

And this comes from a guy that owns one of each model ever made. 

That's the old Larry and I tend to blame you if you wouldn't bring them to me I wouldn't buy them 😊

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

1 hour ago, Soi7 said:

That's the old Larry and I tend to blame you if you wouldn't bring them to me I wouldn't buy them 😊

Looks like Covid solved that problem, but hopefully not for long.  

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I just buy refurbished iphones on eBay these days. My current phone is a 64 Gb 6s which does fine. You can get them for about $100.

About the only reason to upgrade from that for me would be if I needed 5g service ... which I don't or at least won't for years.

Edited by BobLilly

I bought an Oppo Reno 2F at Central in Feb of 2020 as a replacement for the affordable Motorola phone that I needed to repair. The charging port was damaged  whenI forced a replacement charger to fit. Motorola phones were not repairable in Thailand. I absolutely hate this phone. It is heavy, camera sucks, and has more bloatware than any Samsung. In addition, I keep getting robo calls in Chinese while at my home in NYC. Ive done everything I can think of to cure the problem. I live in my settings app. The phone also thinks I'm in Singapore when I search Yahoo. My skills aren't top notch, but I'm not a novice. Sometimes I think my phone is haunted or has a direct line to the CCP. Whatever you do avoid this monstrosity.

33 minutes ago, windsors420 said:

I bought an Oppo Reno 2F at Central in Feb of 2020 as a replacement for the affordable Motorola phone that I needed to repair. The charging port was damaged  whenI forced a replacement charger to fit. Motorola phones were not repairable in Thailand. I absolutely hate this phone. It is heavy, camera sucks, and has more bloatware than any Samsung. In addition, I keep getting robo calls in Chinese while at my home in NYC. Ive done everything I can think of to cure the problem. I live in my settings app. The phone also thinks I'm in Singapore when I search Yahoo. My skills aren't top notch, but I'm not a novice. Sometimes I think my phone is haunted or has a direct line to the CCP. Whatever you do avoid this monstrosity.

The best review ever! Sounds like the phone from hell.

• Haha 2

On 27/09/2021 at 15:40, xtremedude said:

My trusty Android phone that I bought 5 years ago is now in need of replacement.  It still works fine but I dropped it and the screen is cracked.  I am looking for a replacement Android phone but not sure which one to get.  I use the phone for taking snaps, Line, checking news and phone calls.  No playing games or watching videos.  What are some of the better smartphones out there that you would recommend?  Money is not an issue but I would like to get a good phone that is good value. 

So extreamedude did you ever get a new phone?

2 hours ago, fforest said:

So extreamedude did you ever get a new phone?

Not yet.  I haven't decided which one I want to get.  The 3 in contention are Moto G 5G Plus, Samsung A52s 5G, and Samsung S20 FE.  I like the screen on the Samsung models and S20 FE model is packed with features but I probably will never use 99% the features.  I might go with Motorola because my last phone was Motorola and it worked well for more than 5 years.  

Just now, xtremedude said:

Not yet.  I haven't decided which one I want to get.  The 3 in contention are Moto G 5G Plus, Samsung A52s 5G, and Samsung S20 FE.  I like the screen on the Samsung models and S20 FE model is packed with features but I probably will never use 99% the features.  I might go with Motorola because my last phone was Motorola and it worked well for more than 5 years.  And it is still working fine (other than cracked screen) hence the delay in getting a new phone.

Gotta say living in Asia is great for a topic like this. Don't miss my US days from just a few ago where the options were ... nearly nothing. So many good reasonable mid-range (and lower) phones in SEA. Personally, I love the mid-range Chinese phones and have bought a few. Work well, they still try to innovate to some degree to win market share. Still a bit of fun to be had with phones and not the generic options in the US now that specs, etc. are no longer such a big deal now that tech has progressed to where it is.