IGNORED

The return/onward ticket

Lorde

Instead of throwing money away on a throw away ticket. Why not buy a cancelable ticket. Print it out and cancel it right after purchase to get the money back. You still have the printed return ticket to show immigration. They don't know it's cancelled do they?

46 minutes ago, Lorde said:

Instead of throwing money away on a throw away ticket. Why not buy a cancelable ticket. Print it out and cancel it right after purchase to get the money back. You still have the printed return ticket to show immigration. They don't know it's cancelled do they?

At San Francisco (SFO) China Airlines checked via computer at the check in counter if I had an outbound flight from Thailand before 30 days. They didn't even ask me, they just had it up in their computer. Don't know if I could have boarded without a 30 day outbound flight showing.

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

they can check and they do check sometimes.

you can of course have a refundable ticket for the return (or onward flight) and cancel that after your arrival. or buy a cheap ticket out of thailand with a low cost carrier (maybe $30-40 usd). or use a website that sells you a "fake" onward ticket, but there are quite regularly reports of people having problems with them, so i advise against them. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

When I traveled in May they did not ask.

Prior trips, I had never been asked by anyone except when I was leaving Thailand once.

I did not have a return ticket to USA because I was traveling all of Asia and was unsure when I would be going back to the USA.

A talk with a supervisor cleared it up, but I had to sign a paper indicating it was not the airlines responsibility if I did not return to the USA.

Edited by LASportsNut
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, likeaking said:

At San Francisco (SFO) China Airlines checked via computer at the check in counter if I had an outbound flight from Thailand before 30 days. They didn't even ask me, they just had it up in their computer. Don't know if I could have boarded without a 30 day outbound flight showing.

Did you have a return flight with the same airline? If not, it's scary to think about that some random check-in guy in San Fransisco having access to a database of all outbound passengers from Thailand for the next month. 

6 minutes ago, Lorde said:

Did you have a return flight with the same airline? If not, it's scary to think about that some random check-in guy in San Fransisco having access to a database of all outbound passengers from Thailand for the next month. 

No, my outbound flight within 30 days was with Cebu Pacific. Yeah, I was surprised it was on China Airlines' check-in computer. I book all my flights directly with the each different airline website.

Edited by likeaking

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I’ve never heard of anyone refused entry into Thailand bc they didn’t have proof of onward travel or a return ticket.   The bigger concern is that your airline for your outbound travel to Thailand may refuse you because if Thai Immigration did refuse you entry  because you didn’t have a return ticket or proof of onward travel the airline would be responsible for repatriating you. 

1 hour ago, petehoax said:

buy a cheap ticket out of thailand with a low cost carrier (maybe $30-40 usd)

Once upon a time that was preferred method, but since Covid started, low-cost carries like AirAsia or Lion only fly domestic routes. Therе's also a question of whether a ticket to, say, Malaysia, would be accepted as valid if you're almost certain not to be allowed entry at the time of your supposed departure. 

2 hours ago, bobblobfish said:

Once upon a time that was preferred method, but since Covid started, low-cost carries like AirAsia or Lion only fly domestic routes. Therе's also a question of whether a ticket to, say, Malaysia, would be accepted as valid if you're almost certain not to be allowed entry at the time of your supposed departure. 

another poster here just did exactly that a few days ago, i think it cost $40 usd or something like that. can't remember where he was flying to. 

air asia has flights for $64 to kuala lumpur from bangkok (DMK). i'm sure there are cheaper options available:

image.thumb.png.df259402680efef85dfaf0bb8977fe22.png

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

6 hours ago, Lorde said:

Because some prefer more complicated, convoluted and expensive solutions. 

Purchase a fully refundable onward ticket and cancel for the full refund prior to the departure of that flight (the one you don’t intend to take). The airline will know it’s cancelled … immigration … perhaps, but so what …  you’ve met the requirement which is to have proof of onward travel at the time of entry … nothing says you need to maintain that proof of onward travel after entry.   And I hardly think immigration is gonna follow up on it days or weeks after entry, unless you’ve done something else to run amok with the authorities by which the ticket is gonna be the least of your concerns. 

Edited by momo5