IGNORED

E-Visa system being introduced for Thailand

davidge

4 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Quite certain you can. You can check here 

https://thaievisa.go.th/

If you scroll down a bit, there's a "Am I eligible" function. I checked Denmark, and it says I'd be good to go. And I'd be surprised if that is reflected on the Copenhagen embassy website :) 

Thanks for your reply.
This is exactly what I linked in my post. 

15 hours ago, FelixBerlin said:

Does anyone know when other countries (e.g. Germany) can use e-visa as well?

I checked the THAI E-VISA OFFICIAL WEBSITE from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand and had a look if Germany/Germans is/are also eligible to apply online. But unfortunately not possible yet.

Maybe some of you guys heard when it will be rolled out to other countries?

I did check and Germany is not eligible yet.

237888420_Bildschirmfoto2021-09-30um11_06_19.thumb.jpg.3cc0bb67ac0d75862a4408331980bc66.jpg

That's why I asked if somebody know when this will be the case.

Enjoy the weekend

No problem, let's have the beer together if we're on the ground at the same time (planning/hoping for November)

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2021 at 10:28, davidge said:

The application is now done online. All documentation is uploaded during the application.

AFAIK RTE Washington is now only doing evisas so no posting of passport.

BTW, don’t get a Non O-A, get a Non O for Retirement instead.

Hi. Could you please expand a bit on why a Non-O is better than a O-A for retirement? It's not an idle question, as I will need one of those pretty soon. Thanks in advance for the help.

HM

Hansum. Because thousands of bar and massage girls can't be wrong.

2 minutes ago, HansumMan4365 said:

Hi. Could you please expand a bit on why a Non-O is better than a O-A for retirement? It's not an idle question, as I will need one of those pretty soon. Thanks in advance for the help.

HM

The main reason is that they’ve introduced a Health Insurance requirement for the annual extension within Thailand if you start with a Non O-A visa. It is not required if you start with a Non O. It doesn’t matter if you already have Health Insurance as they won’t accept it. You have to pay for one of the approved policies with a Thai company.

Also, there are fewer requirements to get the initial visa. You need a criminal record check and a health form for the O-A that are not needed for the O.

The one advantage of the Non O-A is if you plan to travel to and from Thailand as it gives you 12 months on each entry during the 12-month validity of the visa. If you plan on moving to Thailand permanently then this doesn’t really matter but, before Covid, people could get a Non O-A in their home country and stretch it to almost 2 years of travelling in and out of Thailand and then get a new visa. 

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

34 minutes ago, davidge said:

The main reason is that they’ve introduced a Health Insurance requirement for the annual extension within Thailand if you start with a Non O-A visa. It is not required if you start with a Non O. It doesn’t matter if you already have Health Insurance as they won’t accept it. You have to pay for one of the approved policies with a Thai company.

Also, there are fewer requirements to get the initial visa. You need a criminal record check and a health form for the O-A that are not needed for the O.

The one advantage of the Non O-A is if you plan to travel to and from Thailand as it gives you 12 months on each entry during the 12-month validity of the visa. If you plan on moving to Thailand permanently then this doesn’t really matter but, before Covid, people could get a Non O-A in their home country and stretch it to almost 2 years of travelling in and out of Thailand and then get a new visa. 

Thanks. That would apply to me, as I have good US medical insurance coverage abroad, but it would do me no good for visa purpose as I can see. I'm still confused though...

I do understand the O-A visa (I think) but I'm still fuzzy on the non-O So I looked up both visas to compare, on various web sites, and the way it's presented is not clear, as they variously say the non-O is valid for a stay of 90-days only, but can be converted to a one-year visa. I assume they mean the holder of a non-O can convert to an O-A, but then he's back to square one with the insurance. So, what is the mechanics of the non-O, as far as staying in-country for the purpose of retirement? My concern is that the more renewals, the more money to shell out (cost of visa vs cost of medical insurance).

Also, when I look up both visa on the Los Angeles consulate web site, the insurance requirement is present for both (see below): does that mean that in the first case you need insurance up to the required amount, but it could be one from your own country, and in the second (O-A) you need to purchase it from one of the approved Thai insurer?

(edit): oh, and I forgot; is there a difference in the financial requirements? Info varies by web site, and is missing on the LA consulate web site.

HM

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days.
Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility / Other required documents :

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
4. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.

1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
    Copy of a certificate of residence (if applicable)

4. Insurance – Applicant must have a health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for covid-19 disease with the total sum insured of THB 3,000,000 (100,000 USD) per policy year.

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is
    medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a)  Foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
    (b)  Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available,
         the original insurance policy document with 2 copies.
  • A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
  • Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand,
    which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.

The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

Edited by HansumMan4365

12 minutes ago, HansumMan4365 said:

Thanks. That would apply to me, as I have good US medical insurance coverage abroad, but it would do me no good for visa purpose as I can see. I'm still confused though...

I do understand the O-A visa (I think) but I'm still fuzzy on the non-O So I looked up both visas to compare, on various web sites, and the way it's presented is not clear, as they variously say the non-O is valid for a stay of 90-days only, but can be converted to a one-year visa. I assume they mean the holder of a non-O can convert to an O-A, but then he's back to square one with the insurance. So, what is the mechanics of the non-O, as far as staying in-country for the purpose of retirement? My concern is that the more renewals, the more money to shell out (cost of visa vs cost of medical insurance).

Also, when I look up both visa on the Los Angeles consulate web site, the insurance requirement is present for both (see below): does that mean that in the first case you need insurance up to the required amount, but it could be one from your own country, and in the second (O-A) you need to purchase it from one of the approved Thai insurer?

(edit): oh, and I forgot; is there a difference in the financial requirements? Info varies by web site, and is missing on the LA consulate web site.

HM

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days.

3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (long stay)

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year.

3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted.
    Copy of a certificate of residence (if applicable)

• Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is
    medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:
    (a)  Foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;
    (b)  Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available,
         the original insurance policy document with 2 copies.
  • A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org
  • Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand,
    which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company.

The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

Two separate parts to the process:

1. Getting the initial visa in your own country;

2. Getting subsequent Extensions of Stay inside Thailand.

1. The insurance requirement for getting the initial visa is the same in each case. It’s actually a new requirement since Covid. You ‘might’ be able to use your current insurance if the company is prepared to provide the necessary paperwork. Otherwise, you’ll need to buy a suitable policy for the length of stay allowed by the visa. So, 90 days for Non O or a full year for Non O-A. The other requirements are simpler for a Non O than for a Non O-A.

2. The Non O gives you an initial 90 days in Thailand and then you can get annual Extensions of Stay. The financial requirements are identical whether you start with a Non O or Non O-A, so 800k for 3 months either side of the Extension then at least 400k the rest of the year. The ‘seeding’ isn’t required for the initial Extension of Stay.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davidge said:

1. The insurance requirement for getting the initial visa is the same in each case. It’s actually a new requirement since Covid. You ‘might’ be able to use your current insurance if the company is prepared to provide the necessary paperwork. Otherwise, you’ll need to buy a suitable policy for the length of stay allowed by the visa. So, 90 days for Non O or a full year for Non O-A. The other requirements are simpler for a Non O than for a Non O-A.

2. The Non O gives you an initial 90 days in Thailand and then you can get annual Extensions of Stay. The financial requirements are identical whether you start with a Non O or Non O-A, so 800k for 3 months either side of the Extension then at least 400k the rest of the year. The ‘seeding’ isn’t required for the initial Extension of Stay.

Great. Thanks for the clarifications; much appreciated.

5 hours ago, davidge said:

Totally correct. 

And then there is a 3rd option.

Get a TV (Tourist Visa) in your home country (60 days). You can convert this inside Thailand to a NON-O. Requirements for getting it inside Thailand are lower. (Or at least used to be)

Next step is to get an extension based on retirement. 

Sounds difficult but not really is. It is one of the most used options. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eXplosief said:

Totally correct. 

And then there is a 3rd option.

Get a TV (Tourist Visa) in your home country (60 days). You can convert this inside Thailand to a NON-O. Requirements for getting it inside Thailand are lower. (Or at least used to be)

Next step is to get an extension based on retirement. 

Sounds difficult but not really is. It is one of the most used options. 

Yes. He was asking about the process with the Consulate so didn’t want to complicate it too much :)

Entering on a TR and paying an agent to convert (or even doing it yourself) avoids some of the hassle. The agent fee might even be lower than the cost of the Health Insurance that’s now required for Non O initial application, depending if you already have suitable cover or not.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, davidge said:

Yes. He was asking about the process with the Consulate so didn’t want to complicate it too much :)

Entering on a TR and paying an agent to convert (or even doing it yourself) avoids some of the hassle. The agent fee might even be lower than the cost of the Health Insurance that’s now required for Non O initial application, depending if you already have suitable cover or not.

Thanks to you both. I thought that having a visa on hand from abroad would allow me to bring/import some stuff I want to move with me (nothing major, but not enough to carry in two suitcases). I lived in Thailand for a few years (not on a retirement visa; I was working) and I am  aware of the things that are very expensive or difficult to purchase/replace there.

4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family). "

What evidence are people providing when making the application for the tourist 60 day visa ?, a copy of your latest bank statement ?

Thanks 

31 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family). "

What evidence are people providing when making the application for the tourist 60 day visa ?, a copy of your latest bank statement ?

Thanks 

Isn't that a requirement for when you are actually arriving in the country? Very rarely checked. Cash only.

When applying for the Tourist Visa online, you have to provide(upload) the following documentation

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
  • 4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

4 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

When applying for the Tourist Visa online, you have to provide(upload) the following documentation

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
  • 4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

Ah ok, photo of bank statement should work, balance more than £500.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what do you attach for this 

7 . Confirmation of legal residence in a country in which you are applying for the visa. (In case that you are not a national of the country in which you are applying for the visa.) 

and this 

10 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency

thank you 

I printed a copy of my UK passport page then wrote underneath ' I confirm I am a British citizen with permanent address in the UK' and my signature.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bangna said:

I printed a copy of my UK passport page then wrote underneath ' I confirm I am a British citizen with permanent address in the UK' and my signature.

Thank you so much 😊 

Screenshot of the TR Application pages:

50B71593-1DA9-466A-ACBC-7BADB0FADEE0.jpeg8684053E-B345-4E9A-BEBD-2848437DDB77.jpeg

A downside of the E-visa system is that you have to provide a lot of information that just wasn’t asked for when I used to go to my local Consulate. Some of it isn’t really relevant for a TR but the online system is set up for various types of visa so they’ve asked for extra stuff. I honestly don’t think they’re helping the tourist industry with their mindset.

10.     Travel records for the last 12 months could be a bit blank.   :)

• Haha 3

On 29/09/2021 at 19:25, FelixBerlin said:

I checked the THAI E-VISA OFFICIAL WEBSITE from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand and had a look if Germany/Germans is/are also eligible to apply online. But unfortunately not possible yet.

Austria is not possible as of today, 271021.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

A downside of the E-visa system is that you have to provide a lot of information that just wasn’t asked for when I used to go to my local Consulate. Some of it isn’t really relevant for a TR but the online system is set up for various types of visa so they’ve asked for extra stuff. I honestly don’t think they’re helping the tourist industry with their mindset.

The thought of letting postal workers handle my passport (having to send it to the Embassy and paying for and enclosing a return certified mail envelope) sends shivers down my spine.

It's for sure not as streamlined as it could be (and hopefully will be after Covid) but is still a big step forward in my mind. YMMV 

1 hour ago, 1500B said:

The thought of letting postal workers handle my passport (having to send it to the Embassy and paying for and enclosing a return certified mail envelope) sends shivers down my spine.

It's for sure not as streamlined as it could be (and hopefully will be after Covid) but is still a big step forward in my mind. YMMV 

In my case it used to be just phone the Cardiff Consulate for an appointment, print off a form from website which took me 2 minutes to fill in, drive up for my appointment, hand over passport, form & cash, in and out of Consulate in 10 minutes. Never asked for any other info. Spend a couple of hours in Cardiff and drive home.

• Like 2

can answer my own question now.

Just read it on the website of RTE Berlin (http://german.thaiembassy.de/visaarten-und-erforderliche-unterlagen)

• E-Visum online ab dem 22. November 2021  Das neue Online-System von E-Visa wird am 22.11.2021 für die Visumantragstellung in Deutschland eingeführt. Mit diesem neuen System können Antragsteller mit festem Wohnsitz in Deutschland Visa online unter  https://thaievisa.go.th/ beantragen, ohne in der Botschaft anwesend zu sein, das Visum wird durch das Online-System genehmigt und an die Email des Antragstellers gesendet.  Sie können das Handbuch/die Anleitung für E-Visa im Voraus lesen, unter https://thaievisa.go.th/static/English-Manual.pdf 

Yes Germany will start on 22.11.2021 - Thats really good news for me. I wouldn't feel good about sending my passport halfway across the country. I look forward to January...