IGNORED

Emma Raducanu Leylah Fernandez US Open Final

mikeyboy

22 minutes ago, rope-a-dope said:

What do you think her nationality should be Tom..she has never lived in Romania or China, she spent her first two years in Canada, she has spent 17 years in London? 

Her ‘nationality’? Canadian. Nationality denotes where you are born: nation of birth. 

Citizenship? That is granted by a government of a country where certain legal requirements are met.

She holds dual Canadian (birthright) and British citizenship (and I was asking how she’d acquired that, as I have no idea what the criteria are).

I wondered why she’s exclusively referred to as ‘British’ and not ‘Canadian-British’. That’s all. I hadn’t heard of her until about two days ago.

I was really enquiring about the mechanics of obtaining U.K. citizenship. I certainly don’t and didn’t intend any disparaging jingoistic sleight against Emma Raducanu!

I couldn’t care less about (and wouldn’t ever judge or discriminate on the basis of) somebody’s nationality or citizenship or whatever.

Best of luck to her. Seems like a very nice person.

Tom Tit

Edited by Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

8 minutes ago, Tom Tit said:

Her ‘nationality’? Canadian. Nationality denotes where you are born: nation of birth. 

Citizenship? That is granted by a government of a country where certain legal requirements are met.

She holds dual Canadian (birthright) and British citizenship (and I was asking how she’d acquired that, as I have no idea what the criteria are).

I wondered why she’s exclusively referred to as ‘British’ and not ‘Canadian-British’. That’s all. I hadn’t heard of her until about two days ago.

I was really enquiring about the mechanics of obtaining U.K. citizenship. I certainly don’t and didn’t intend any disparaging jingoistic sleight against Emma Raducanu!

I couldn’t care less about (and wouldn’t ever judge or discriminate on the basis of) somebody’s nationality or citizenship or whatever.

Tom Tit

Citizenship varies country to country wildly I'd guess, my sister was born in Singapore but it would be very tough to get citizenship..she'd have to live there for 5  or maybe even 10 years, if  her parents had been working in Switzerland and she had been born there..no chance of citizenship for an offspring. A lot of countries have citizenship for sale.

No idea how long her parents were in Canada for, they met there having fled communist regimes for a better life it seems.

She does indeed seem very nice person, and there can be little doubt where her allegiance sits from her latest tweet..everything else is just a paper chase, right?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaRaducanu

• Thanks 2

Interestingly, during her press conference Emma Raducanu said she was a big fan of F1 and her favourite driver is Daniel Ricciardo.

Daniel Ricciardo them goes on to win the Monza GP and says he stayed up late watching the match the night before.

Potential power couple?

2 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

No it doesn't. I worked in Saudi Arabia for many years and many of my work colleagues, mainly British and Australian had their wives living their with them, many of the wives were also British or Australian but many were other nationalities as well such as Thai/Philippines/Ukraine/Eritrea etc. Many of their children were born in Saudi Arabia since that is where they were living at the time. Are you saying that all their children are Saudi Nationals because they were born there? I can tell you that providing the parents wanted it every single one was registered as a British or Australian national and were given passports for these respective countries (regardless of where the mother was from or if the mother had obtained British citizenship or not).

The fact that neither parent of Emma was British also doesn't necessarily matter if they obtained British citizenship. Several of my work colleagues brought their foreign wives to the UK after they finished working abroad, and although it takes a few years they applied for and obtained British citizenship and British passports, (their are rules they have to follow while waiting for the citizenship to be granted). 

Edited by shagwell

4 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

I really doubt that is correct.

I was born in Lagos, I certainly have never been, or considered myself, Nigerian.

Under International law any individual has a right to change their "nationality", obviously subject to application and it being successful, which implies again it is not fixed by birth or set in stone.

• Like 4

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

4 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

And it’s as simple as that? Neither parent British, and her born in Canada? No wonder people are queuing up to get into the U.K. 

(I’m genuinely shocked. I’m British but haven’t lived there since early 1990s. I presumed at least one of the parents would have to be British if a kid born abroad wanted U.K. citizenship.)

Tom Tit

I'd imagine her parents are naturalised by now given how long they've lived here. Would be very surprised were this not the case.

• Like 1

It was nice to see 2 "ladies" play tennis.  Some of the beasts that have been dominating are not much fun to watch.

re the timeout because she was bleeding …. The USTA must have rules that demand play is stopped when someone is bleeding.  Same as any other sport that I’m aware of.

This is similar but actually the opposite of Naomi Osaka.

She was born in Japan and lived there until age 3.

Moved to the USA and lives in the USA.

She recently gave up her USA passport for a Japanese passport so she could represent Japan in the 2020 (2021) Olympics.

11 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

Nationality denotes where you are born: nation of birth. 

9 hours ago, shagwell said:

No it doesn't.

Blimey, you’re correct.

I’ve just wasted an hour reading up on nationality, citizenship, jus soli, jus sanguinis, lex soli, international law, ‘conceptualisation of nationality’, blah blah blah, and I’m 1000% more confused than I was an hour ago.

So many exceptions and almost no two countries have identical criteria. The notion of ‘nationality’ has become so vague and ambiguous as to be borderline meaningless. Might be a good thing in many ways? 

Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

18 hours ago, Tom Tit said:

Tom Tit

You Tink too much. Principles are the same as Thailand. Her worth in endorsements would be worth 10 times more as  a Brit than a Canadian. You know Wimbledon and all of that.

I had a hit with my mate on some courts on the way to Whistler one time in British Columbia. Brand spanking new. They had made the courts so the run off was from the net to the back of the court. Thus making the net 3 inches higher at the net than it should be from the baseline. Canadians don't really get tennis.....just saying.

All this talk of nationality reminds me of the lack of clarity on what "home country" in this forum means.

I am English, but I live in another EU country, as I've done for about a dozen years.  Is my home country the other country in which I've actually lived, or the UK?  To me, it's clear that my "home country" is the UK (even though I think it's a bit of a laughing stock at the moment with Brexit etc etc)

Meanwhile, other guys on this forum, who come from various farang countries, have selected Thailand as their home countries.  Really?  Are they Thai?  I think I have more connection with the country I live in than they do with Thailand - I speak the language pretty well for starters.

What does "home country" on this forum mean?  Some guys here seem to actually take note of the claimed nationality of the writer.

[Sorry for off topic, delete if you like, but it's no more off topic than all the chat above about nationality, including from the co-owner of this forum]

Edited by SirL
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, yt1303 said:

Interestingly, during her press conference Emma Raducanu said she was a big fan of F1 and her favourite driver is Daniel Ricciardo.

Daniel Ricciardo them goes on to win the Monza GP and says he stayed up late watching the match the night before.

Potential power couple?

NO…….

with the amount she’s just won, I’m nominating my Son!

On 13/09/2021 at 18:19, SirL said:

All this talk of nationality reminds me of the lack of clarity on what "home country" in this forum means.

I am English, but I live in another EU country, as I've done for about a dozen years.  Is my home country the other country in which I've actually lived, or the UK?  To me, it's clear that my "home country" is the UK (even though I think it's a bit of a laughing stock at the moment with Brexit etc etc)

Meanwhile, other guys on this forum, who come from various farang countries, have selected Thailand as their home countries.  Really?  Are they Thai?  I think I have more connection with the country I live in than they do with Thailand - I speak the language pretty well for starters.

What does "home country" on this forum mean?  Some guys here seem to actually take note of the claimed nationality of the writer.

[Sorry for off topic, delete if you like, but it's no more off topic than all the chat above about nationality, including from the co-owner of this forum]

It’s whatever you put and want people to see. You can leave it blank for all we care and I doubt anyone else does either? We can’t start running checks on people as the “anonymity” (of which you take full advantage) is a core matter. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldMateMurphy said:

How much would you pay for LT with Raducanu? 

Why? Has she got some kind of racquet going on?

Edited by yt1303

Just seen a news item where i think she was at some fashion do or something, she looked really nice, someone is going to be a lucky lad, or perhaps someone already is.

Edited by vimto66
  • Like 1

Just now, vimto66 said:

Just seen a news item where i think she was at some fashion do or something, she looked really nice, someone is going to be a lucky lad.

Yes. The met gala, a vacuous insipid affair (well, the kardasians and a beckham were there, so that's a given). She's a bright girl, just a bit of fun I am sure, being all dressed up by Chanel and pampered rotten..what young lass wouldn't enjoy that? Mind you, sooner she gets back home to genuine folk the better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Just seen a news item where i think she was at some fashion do or something, she looked really nice, someone is going to be a lucky lad, or perhaps someone already is.

Invited to the years biggest fashion show by one of the organisers and given some expensive togs to wear. She is an agents dream, has the figure, height looks and personality to make millions in sponsorship and endorsements.

Even if she never wins another major tournament she will make enough in the next 12 months to live a great life for the rest of her days. If she has a successful tennis career over the next 5-10 years she will likely become the highest earning female sportswoman ever

1 minute ago, shagwell said:

Invited to the years biggest fashion show by one of the organisers and given some expensive togs to wear. She is an agents dream, has the figure, height looks and personality to make millions in sponsorship and endorsements.

Even if she never wins another major tournament she will make enough in the next 12 months to live a great life for the rest of her days. If she has a successful tennis career over the next 5-10 years she will likely become the highest earning female sportswoman ever

Yes, $35k a ticket if you don't get that invite!

10 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

She was riding in Motocross events at age 8 I think. I would imagine that's one hobby her insurers have put a stop to tho.

Bit of an all rounder by the looks of it.

Fair play to the lassy, I hope she does well.

• Like 2