IGNORED

Free advance seat reservation in economy (Europe to BKK)

jaynewcastle

Do any airlines still offer this, for the cheapest economy tickets when you buy them, or do they all charge a fee now  ?

I've always flown with Emirates to SE Asia, (who introduced such fee's in 2016), just wondering if its standard now for all airlines

21 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Do any airlines still offer this, for the cheapest economy tickets when you buy them, or do they all charge a fee now  ?

I've always flown with Emirates to SE Asia, (who introduced such fee's in 2016), just wondering if its standard now for all airlines

Hi jaynewcastle

Afraid so my friend for the very cheapest seats unless you wait until check-in when it's still free, like you i always like to book my seats at the same time i book. Qatar, Etihad & Gulf and Emirates all charge a fee up front, I do pay the fees because i just don't want to be landed in the middle seats no good for me these days, it's not good i know just have to lump it and be happy.

Thanks for the replies, I assumed it would be the case but wanted to check, just in case. I'd checked a couple of airlines, KLM, Lufthansa, BA & they all charged, but wondered if there may still be ones that didn't

I always liked sitting in an aisle seat at the back of the Emirates 777 where the aisle widened to twice the normal aisle width as people didn't bump into you when passing by & you had more space to lean into

After Emirates introduced the seat reservation fee's, I did try to avoid paying them the first couple of trips, keeping a close eye on the seat maps for my flights in the weeks running up to OLCI opening to make sure the seats I wanted were still free& also checking in the second OLCI opened

Unfortunately the seat maps weren't entirely accurate on all flights & a couple of times I had to settle for normal aisle seats at OLCI  as all the seats I wanted had were no longer vacant, & I made the decision to start paying to reserve the seat I wanted, £21 per flight so an extra £84 on top of the flight ticket

• 2 weeks later...

China Airlines also had a free choice of seats in 2019. Even when booking and not just 24 hours before the flight. Changeover is in Taipei, Taiwan. (Not to be confused with Air China from Beijing)

The airline's comfort and service were also good.

The airport is also pleasant and has relatively cheap beer.