IGNORED

Gyms of Pattaya - Powerlifting focus

Oct_

I'm looking for a gym that is catered to powerlifting and less to a general audience.  I've been to Coco Fitness and Jetts Fitness but they suffer from the same problem that most commercial Gyms stateside have (ala a Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, etc) = they've got lots of cardio equipment and machines for accessory lifts or isolation lifts but not much for serious lifters with barbells. 

Common problems are:

• No (or very few) squat racks
  • No (or very few) benches
  • Lack of lifting platforms
  • Lack of bumper plates
  • Lack of understanding how people want to practice Olympic lifts - power clean, snatch, etc. 
    • Even heavier deadlifts - once you get north of a certain weight you need to be able to safely drop the bar in the case of a rep failure.  In addition, while you can slow the descent and guide it down, it's still going to make a loud noise at the bottom of the rep ... a lot of commercial Gyms are filled with people who are just running on a treadmill and they think this behavior is rude or annoying and they complain to management, who will then "ban" you from doing these lifts

I've recently read about a gym called "The Muscle Factory," located off of Phratumnak Soi 6 in Jomtien / Pattaya.  It has pretty much everything I'm looking for but it's pretty far out.  I was wondering if anyone was aware of a similar setup?  I've tried googling this, but can't be sure what's there and what's still open as I am not in Pattaya at the moment.  Ideally something that's no frills, just lots of places to practice the big lifts - bench press, low bar squat, bench press, overhead press, and power clean.

They had some decent weights in fitness 7 within the avenue off second road.

small cardio room that’s air con, but main weight room isn’t.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

might be worth talking to the guy who runs https://www.keyvisathailand.com he has taken powerlifting back up again I believe he said when been interviewed on Buzzin Pattaya @key visa thailand worth a shout .  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, T-T-T said:

might be worth talking to the guy who runs https://www.keyvisathailand.com he has taken powerlifting back up again I believe he said when been interviewed on Buzzin Pattaya @key visa thailand worth a shout .  

Wow he's built like a boulder!  He definitely lifts somewhere ... I'll drop him a line!  Thanks.

I think you’ll find  it’s worth the commute to go to the Muscle Factory. You may want to check out Castro gym or Bear gym.    The other options are health club like atmospheres and won’t cater to your needs.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oct_ said:

commercial gyms are filled with people who are just running on a treadmill and they think this behavior is rude or annoying and they complain to management, who will then "ban" you from doing these lifts

I hear that! Im not strongman training amd just for mental health and fun etc but did ditch the commercial gym (not pattaya) for a raw kind of setup and what a difference imo. 

Was 280 deadlift and someone complained about the drop. As if you can do any deadlift quietly without straining something 

6 hours ago, Rutten said:

I hear that! Im not strongman training amd just for mental health and fun etc but did ditch the commercial gym (not pattaya) for a raw kind of setup and what a difference imo. 

Was 280 deadlift and someone complained about the drop. As if you can do any deadlift quietly without straining something 

I’ve dead 180 (not many, 4x3) and there’s some strange looks from others.

But yes the slam down does raise eyes. I try to keep it quiet, as I hate those weight throwing gorillas in the gyms.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Im the same, no shouting etc, occasional groan of course, small gym and no egos there, rare! 

280 was 1 rep max and won't be attempting anytime soon as moved onto rack pulls as alternative (knee) 

Looking forward to gettomg back into a routine after lockdown. Much needed. 

All the best with finding a suitable place

8 hours ago, manni2011 said:

I think you’ll find  it’s worth the commute to go to the Muscle Factory. You may want to check out Castro gym or Bear gym.    The other options are health club like atmospheres and won’t cater to your needs.   

I’m going to give them a try next time I’m in town (if COVID ever ends ….).  If I like it enough I’d be willing to stay near Pratamnak Hill. 

• 1 year later...

I live in Pratamnak. I am looking for a Gym with a good Concept rowing maschine. Are there any recommendations? 

4 hours ago, Louis1975 said:

I live in Pratamnak. I am looking for a Gym with a good Concept rowing maschine. Are there any recommendations? 

Of course I haven't been in every gym , but ive rarely seen a rowing machine , let alone a concept 2. Universe gym near harbourland had a couple ( pre covd days ) but they were pretty basic. 

For a concept 2 machine you might be better looking at a CrossFit gym  I believe there are a couple in Pattaya.

4 hours ago, gusincebu said:

Of course I haven't been in every gym , but ive rarely seen a rowing machine , let alone a concept 2. Universe gym near harbourland had a couple ( pre covd days ) but they were pretty basic. 

For a concept 2 machine you might be better looking at a CrossFit gym  I believe there are a couple in Pattaya.

Many thanks for your quick reply. I really prefer the high quality Concept 2 rowing maschines. I think it a perfect Maschine to train different parts of the body  at the same time to improve the fitness. I will check it and give a feedback. Thanks mate 😊🙏🏻

Edited by Louis1975

• 2 weeks later...

Muscle Factory is my far the best serious weight training gym. Great atmosphere, amazing equipment.

• 3 months later...

Muscle Factory is the best, I usually modify my routine while in Pattaya,,,,,not going to compare to my home gym,.....so be smart and get SOMETHING in, no lose if in the maintain mode for the week.

• 1 month later...

There are video tours of Muscle Factory on YT. It would definitely cater to your needs, I've seen them run some competitions. They have a belt squat too 👍

18 hours ago, oldmanemu53 said:

Any idea if they have personal trainers at muscle factory?

There's a lot of PTs in pattaya for sure. You can find one and go to any gym.

6 hours ago, e11bkk said:

There's a lot of PTs in pattaya for sure. You can find one and go to any gym.

Once I found one?

• 2 weeks later...

Muscle factory is the way to go for your needs. I have been a long time member and tried many of the other Gyms in Pattaya.  MF is my fav. I pay 2k thb per month

“Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.” 

On 16/06/2023 at 12:40, oldmanemu53 said:

Any idea if they have personal trainers at muscle factory?

Most personal training sessions go for 1000 thb per hour at muscle factory

“Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.”