Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Boat Ownership in Thailand

jrelera

Does anyone have info, firsthand experience or even opinions on owning a boat in Thailand? Seems like such a great place to own and check out a bunch places, but even just pulling a bunch of Thai hotties for a fun day. So I wonder about taxes, slip fees, gas, insurance, maintenance, theft, etc. I really like Yamaha jet boats and if people there know how to work on Jet Skis, perhaps they an also work on those engines on a boat. 

Depends how big it is you can either leave it at the marina or trailer one around. I believe you need a Thai Captains licence if you are here and not visiting. 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

If it flies, floats or fucks.... rent it!

Never has that adage been more true than in Thailand

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

37 minutes ago, PepeLePew said:

If it flies, floats or fucks.... rent it!

Never has that adage been more true than in Thailand

Snap!!

Skippy

If you want advice……. There is an expat on Koh Chang who offers a lot of advice, can’t remember his name but search on Facebook Koh Chang groups

• 3 weeks later...

I own three boats in Bang Lamung (town north of Pattaya).  Never bothered with license or registration, but keep 1K baht in case stopped.  Other boat owners I've met around here tell me they've never been asked for documents, but it's probably just a matter of time.  I keep my boats at the condo parking garage where I can easily cart them to the beach, and a sailboat anchored in Wongamat Bay.  I know of other expats to keep their boats on moorings.  The sailboat quickly accumulates barnacles and seaweed despite anti-foul paint.  No problems in the recent big windstorm thanks to an oversized Rocna anchor.  The marina here is crazy expensive so I don't use it.  There are good boat storage yards around that can do repairs and store small boats for around 1000 baht/month - like the one on Thepprasit road -  and will pull your boat to and from a boat ramp for 1000 baht.  Leaving my sailboat in the bay, luckily I've had no problems with theft so far even though there are many local fishermen around.  A big, expensive looking boat might be a different story.  The big tidal range is a challenge.  I have two newer Tohatsu outboards and they have been great so far.  There is a Tohatsu dealer in Naklua but I have not used their service department yet.  I would never consider buying a boat with an inboard engine here in Thailand, nor any outboard without servicing availability nearby.  Usually there are waves off Pattaya, so before planning a "long time" trip on a small boat with a barfine, I'd first want to do a short trip with her to rule out motion sickness.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• 6 months later...

I had my Beneteau 34' Oceanis here for around 5 years.

Dream boat and a fantastic low maintenance bill.  I actually got a nice bonus when I sold it.

Not cheap to keep in the Marina, cleaning and slip rental add up. Lucky the fuel bills were very low.

Took it to Cambodia and around the Gulf.  Used it nearly every weekend.

Had a call from a broker one day with an interested client...Test day was perfect.

Deal done on the spot.  Needed to be stripped and antifouled, Prop shaft bearing was cactus (never noticed ). Due for engine service ( not expensive ) Everything else was 90% or more.

Just the cost of the slip and the cleaning, insurance etc was a killer every month.

Very true what they say.  On a sailboat the journey is number one, Powerboat the destination.

• Like 2