Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Non Direct Flights during Covid

My local airport is Manchester International Airport.  So I cannot fly directly from Manchester to Suvarnabhumi airport. And that's OK.  Since 2016 I've started flying with Emirates airline which as you know is based in Dubai in the UAE.  So I have to take two scheduled flights to get to Suvarnabhumi airport.

I should have flown to Thailand last December for a month but had to cancel because of Covid.  So I decided to cancel my my flights with Emirates but kept my ticket with the airline.

So I am hoping to visit Pattaya in December as long as I don't have to quarantine.  Hopefully this will happen and if it does it will throw up problems

Currently the UK are doing a traffic light system for countries around the world.  Thailand is an Amber currently.  So when I get back to England I have to quarantine at home for about 10 days.  Inconvienant but not a problem.

The problem is if I use my Emirates ticket to fly to Thailand I will have to be in transit at Dubai for 2 to 3 hours when I fly out and when I fly home.  And sadly if I understand my governments RULES.  The UAE is in the UK's red zone.  So even though I'm only spending 2 to 3 hours in Dubai's airport I would have to isolate in a hotel for a couple of weeks when I get back to Manchester.  And thats expensive.

So I might have to cancel my emirates ticket and book with another airline

The daft thing is I might book with KLM which means I'll be in transit in Skipol airport in Amsterdam or fly with Air France which means I'll be in transit in Paris. and I'll be OK.  I can just isolate at home when I get back

jaynewcastle

As long as Dubai remains on the red list, where it has been most of this year, all passengers arriving in the UK from Dubai, including transit passengers, have to stay 10 days in hotel quarantine

If you fly to the UK from countries that are not red listed, then you don't

It doesn't look if Dubai will come off the red list in the near future, but isn't your Emirates booking valid until late 2022 ?

Impossible to predict next month, never mind December.

Review of the lists is meant to take place every 3 weeks so, IF it is still happening like that in November/December, I’d wait until a few weeks before any trip before booking anything.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

I'm in the same position as the OP. If I do go to Thailand it will be for 3 months. In order to avoid the possibility of the transit stop being in a country on the red list, I am considering using British Airways. Manchester to Heathrow, waiting time of around 75 minutes. Not flown with BA since the early 90s. BC tickets for Jan 2022 are around the £2k and it's on the Dreamliner.

I won't be booking until very close to when I actually fly out.

19 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

As long as Dubai remains on the red list, where it has been most of this year, all passengers arriving in the UK from Dubai, including transit passengers, have to stay 10 days in hotel quarantine

If you fly to the UK from countries that are not red listed, then you don't

It doesn't look if Dubai will come off the red list in the near future, but isn't your Emirates booking valid until late 2022 ?

Hi Jaynewcastle yes my ticket is valid till late 2022

So if I do travel in December I can fly with another airline and hopefully use my Emirates ticket next year

Also Im pretty sure I have the option to ask for my money back from Emirates

Also Etihad who are based in Abu Dhabi is also in UAE.  So they are in the same boat

14 hours ago, soi16 said:

Have you checked with Finnair? London-HEL-BKK.

No but I live about 30/35 minutes from Manchester airport.  If I flew from Heathrow or Gatwick I've got to get to London.

So if I don't fly with Emirates I think I'd rather fly from Manchester with the likes of KLM or Air France or Luthansa

semi-retired member

Same problem with Qatar & (I believe) Oman/Gulf too.

I would suggest waiting until the end of the summer, before making a final decision, a lot can change (for good or bad) in a few months.

This thing has got to ease sooner-or-later  ...  I hope ! :Hair_Out1:

50 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

Hi Jaynewcastle yes my ticket is valid till late 2022

So if I do travel in December I can fly with another airline and hopefully use my Emirates ticket next year

Also Im pretty sure I have the option to ask for my money back from Emirates

Also Etihad who are based in Abu Dhabi is also in UAE.  So they are in the same boat

Yes @blue1878 It’s not looking like one of my better decisions to pay $1,000 into my Etihad travel wallet to get a 50% bonus. At least it’s valid for another year.