IGNORED

Edge, GPRS and 3G network in Thai network

James Velvet

I bet all we Smartphone users (iPhone etc.) want to use our mail, calendar and other services but what card should we get?

Is 3G network working in Thailand and if so where?

The less speedier EDGE or GPRS network I'm shure will work but at what rate for data calls?

An iPhone will work with GPRS for most services (Google Maps, Mail, Calendar) and I personaly only use about 30MB/month back home on GPRS so a dataplan for avout 30-50MB would be nice :-)

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about this too. Are there any pre-paid mobile internet solutions available?

• 4 weeks later...
I bet all we Smartphone users (iPhone etc.) want to use our mail, calendar and other services but what card should we get?

Is 3G network working in Thailand and if so where?

The less speedier EDGE or GPRS network I'm shure will work but at what rate for data calls?

An iPhone will work with GPRS for most services (Google Maps, Mail, Calendar) and I personaly only use about 30MB/month back home on GPRS so a dataplan for avout 30-50MB would be nice :-)

I found the following on the DTAC site:

http://www.happy.co.th/en/low/17_service_m..._internet02.php

They have EDGE/GPRS service at various packages, from some 20 baht for one single hour up to a little over 1000 baht as a monthly flat rate (no contract required). Getting the service also seems to be simple:

"To apply for the GPRS package, you can…

Send the SMS Code via text messaging to 1004. For example if you want the 6 Hours package, just enter “6hm” and send the SMS to 1004.

Call our call center at 1678 dtac call center (3.21 baht charge applies)"

I never tried this, but the next time in Thailand I will definitely look into it. I have already used GPRS on Dtac without a special package and it worked fairly well, better than the WLAN access in the hotel for 250 baht per week, so this is the method of choice.

Unfortunatels the information on websites, including that of DTAC, is not always up to date the above information has to be verified. So please if you get to Thailand before me post your info here.

At a DTAC desk in Sriracha I was informed, if I got it right, that Bangkok already has 3G internet, but Pattaya is still waiting to be upgraded. It would be interesting to know the situation with 12call and true.

• 4 weeks later...

I use 12 Call's Edge service which cost me 300 baht for 20 hours of connect time. They to have an all you can use rate of 1000 baht a month but I found that 300 baht x 2 top ups is enough for me and I use it over an hour a day. I'm not sure if it's true 3G but it's sufficient to surf the web and receive emails.

• 1 month later...

3g is not yet here in Thailand with the exception of a mall in Bangkok and some places in Chaing Mai. For now EDGE works pretty well on both networks and both networks have a similar data plan. You can call the call center and change your data plan at any time. By default 12call and Happy have Data turned on and you are just charged by the Kb... i think it's 10 satang per Kb.

Last year I used my old school smart phone, Nokia Series 60, for things like Gmail & Gmaps over the 12call EDGE network. It was pretty good, and I selected 12call as multiple forum searching has said it had better regional coverage than DTAC, however I didn't actively compare them and it worked fine for my uses in Bangkok and in the countryside. I'm intending to use the same SIM & network this year. Unfortuneately 12call look like they are using 900MHz for 3g, and my phone doesn't do 3G on 900MHz, however there seems to be limited coverage for 3G anyway, and I'll be moving around.

Get yourself a LT barfine who speaks reasonable english, and get her to take you to Tuk Com and get a SIM, and get the service center people there to help you select the right prepaid plan. Might help if you checked the 12call and dtac websites first to give yourself some background on the current offers.

• 1 month later...

It looks like 3G is coming to Bangkok in December 2009. Here is a link to the Bangkok Post from September 10:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/23519/tot-promises-3g-launch-in-december

Unfortunately the reporter seems to be confused as to which party is to be the MVNO, but at least there is progress!

Most recent trip report: Cambodia/Thailand/Myanmar 2012

3G is bogged down in politics but may happen next year.

Edge is available here from Dtac (happy) and AIS (1-2 call).

I use a Solomon usb modem with a laptop and have tried both services. My experience is that AIS is faster and has better coverage upcountry. Download speeds in Pattaya run 150kb-200kb, delay is bad, 500ms to 1.3s so VOIP (Skype) will be a problem. Telewiz shop in Tukcom(second floor, middle on left from entrance) is helpful. Cost is cheap 50B I think for 30 hrs month.

I was clearly doing something very wrong with my unlocked iPhone in LOS in August. I was going through 300 baht refills every two days. So I stopped tweeting unless I was on wifi. Any help with my 1-2-Call Sim would be great. My SIM card and number is good until April at least...

Eat. Down. South.

• 2 weeks later...

I was clearly doing something very wrong with my unlocked iPhone in LOS in August. I was going through 300 baht refills every two days. So I stopped tweeting unless I was on wifi. Any help with my 1-2-Call Sim would be great. My SIM card and number is good until April at least...

The exact same thing was happening to me. Even after I turned the push option, gps, and email off. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so how you fix it?

Edited by Team sea

• 4 weeks later...

A little update on 3G in Thailand courtesy of the Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/25480/3g-starting-bid-prices-100-200m

3G starting bid prices $100-200m

* Published: 12/10/2009 at 12:00 AM

* Newspaper section: Business

The minimum reserve prices for 3G mobile broadband spectrum have been set in the range of US$100-200 million (3.3 to 6.6 billion baht) by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC).

Gen Choochart Promprasit, the chairman of the industry regulator, said the prices would be submitted to the NTC board for approval on Wednesday along with the draft 3G auction rules and comments by the prime minister.

He said the prices were considered thoroughly based on several criteria. These included industry data, auction prices in other countries, prices of spectrum that TOT had returned to the NTC, and prices of the 1900 MHz spectrum that TOT bought from CAT Telecom for the Thai Mobile service.

He said the auctions would be for four licences for a total of 45 MHz. Three licences would be for 10 MHz each and one for 15 MHz spectrum, which would have a higher minimum reserve price.

The article later goes on to suggest that service may start in the fall of 2010.

I know a guy that is part of management at 1 2 call.

He says LOS will probably not have 3G until mid 2011.

• 3 months later...

3G is looking farther away than ever before. According to this article from the Bangkok Post the license auction has been put off until a new commission can be appointed.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/31373/3g-auction-on-hold-until-board-is-filled