Jump to content
IGNORED

Anyone using 5G in Pattaya? How are the speeds and coverage?


Recommended Posts

Title is quite self-explanatory.

Anyone been using it in the Pattaya area?

I read AIS has quite a potent signal with good broadband and speeds.

Any factual data will be appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to post this. Can't install broadband in my condo so looking to upgrade to 5G phone and share the hotspot. I know 5G doesn't work too well indoors, but I'm close to a window so hoping to get at least 30mbs near the Avenue in central Pattaya.

Following...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hollander
On 04/05/2021 at 17:53, frantick said:

I was just about to post this. Can't install broadband in my condo so looking to upgrade to 5G phone and share the hotspot. I know 5G doesn't work too well indoors, but I'm close to a window so hoping to get at least 30mbs near the Avenue in central Pattaya.

Following...

 

Should be doable with 4G. But you are likely to have a volume limit if looking at Prepaid. Unlimited can be capped at 10 Mbps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's what I'm doing now, 4G unlimited 10mbs. But wanting more speed as some of these IPTV services aren't optimized for streaming like Netflix, YouTube, etc. are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
masterslayer169

4G can easily do the speeds you're looking for. Only those 10mbps unlimited plans are reasonably priced. Otherwise, the high speed 4G plans itself are expensive. 5G will only add to that. 

Coming to 5G in Pattaya, I think only AIS has it here and even that is limited to the densely populated areas which should include Central Avenue. I believe they have a map of their coverage. 

Either way, you'll be looking at an extremely high phone bill. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I kinda stole the OP's thread and neither of us still knows anyone's experience with 5G in Pattaya.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2021 at 05:05, frantick said:

Yes, that's what I'm doing now, 4G unlimited 10mbs. But wanting more speed as some of these IPTV services aren't optimized for streaming like Netflix, YouTube, etc. are.

 

Every now and again, there is a double speed promo: 20 Mbps for the same price as 10 Mbps. But you need to be on the ball. Usually DTAC or Truemove H.

Example: https://shopee.co.th/ซิมเทพ-20-Mbps-ไม่ลดสปีด-โปรลด50--i.201868649.6574371551

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on an AIS plan, which quotes 100mps 100mps. It does depend upon the time of day (how many users).

Right now, it is showing 47mps, Pattaya to BKK on speedtest.net, when using hotspot to my laptop. That is still enough to stream Netflix, YouTube and do Video calls.

I am on an unlimited, 24/7 plan.

I am in VT6 close to The Avenue.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also on AIS 5G plan.  Speeds are excellent but coverage can be an issue.  No coverage on Soi 12 to 13/3 between beach road and 2nd road.  LK metro area works in some places outside (nothing inside buildings).  Strangely enough no 5G coverage in the AIS store in Central Mall but works outside of the Mall!  These are the places I have checked out.

Bottom line:  depends on where you are.  5G is worth it if there is coverage where you live but Pattaya needs to improve coverage before you go out and buy/invest in a new phone that is 5G capable.  If you already have a 5G phone may as well get a 5G sim and plan, does not cost a lot more than a 4G plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2021 at 19:07, GorGuy said:

I am on an AIS plan, which quotes 100mps 100mps. It does depend upon the time of day (how many users).

Right now, it is showing 47mps, Pattaya to BKK on speedtest.net, when using hotspot to my laptop. That is still enough to stream Netflix, YouTube and do Video calls.

I am on an unlimited, 24/7 plan.

I am in VT6 close to The Avenue.

 

 

Maybe some actual details? Cost? Prepaid or Postpaid?

100mps 100mps doesn't actually correspond to anything. Certainly not a mobile phone plan. There is no AIS 100 Mbps/100 Mbps mobile package

Maybe Fibre: https://www.ais.th/fibre/package_powerboost.html

 

Try a speed test with https://testmy.net

Edited by Hollander
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a mobile plan for 100mbs either. I'm looking at the ฿1199 monthly unlimited plan which I'm willing to pay for if I can get consistent speeds above 30mbs. I currently get 10 to 20mbs on the 4g plan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frantick said:

I don't see a mobile plan for 100mbs either. I'm looking at the ฿1199 monthly unlimited plan which I'm willing to pay for if I can get consistent speeds above 30mbs. I currently get 10 to 20mbs on the 4g plan.

 

All you need to do is to buy a day pack, say of 100 MB for 9.63 baht and run a speed test with Test My. If it indicates over 30Mbps, it means that you will get over 30 Mbps with the ridiculously expensive package.

 

But if you are getting 20 Mbps currently, I don't see the point. It's not mbs or mps, but Mbps....which differs from MB/s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 Mbps are available via Postpaid with AIS being the most expensive at 449 baht. DTAC cheaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, frantick said:

I don't see a mobile plan for 100mbs either. I'm looking at the ฿1199 monthly unlimited plan which I'm willing to pay for if I can get consistent speeds above 30mbs. I currently get 10 to 20mbs on the 4g plan.

If DTAC is good in your location, an alternative is https://finnmobile.io/en/packages

 

Maybe try a cheaper package and if good, move up to unlimited. Though not if you need good upload speeds. Have noted that DTAC is asymmetrical. Higher download than upload.

Edited by Hollander
Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad, not AIS, I am with DTAC, I have been with them for more than 3 years.

I have their 100Mbps 100Mbps unlimited 24/7 plan.

As to the latest prices for new users there are DTAC offices in Pattaya where you can check their latest deals (if that is a worry for you). One office is located opposite the entrance to the Big C supermarket in the Big C complex, Pattaya Klang.

I did not find their web site to be very user friendly, I had more joy walking into a DTAC office and talking to a human.

In Issan I was getting close to 100Mbps, in Pattaya a little slower (maybe due to density of subscribers in the area).

I have not found any "dead spots" in Pattaya where DTAC does not work from my phone.

I have found DTAC to have very good coverage all over Thailand as I have travelled a lot around Thailand using it. The only dead spot being in a certain area of Bangkok on a main road in the south of Bangkok surrounded by high buildings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2021 at 14:17, Hollander said:

If DTAC is good in your location, an alternative is https://finnmobile.io/en/packages

 

Maybe try a cheaper package and if good, move up to unlimited. Though not if you need good upload speeds. Have noted that DTAC is asymmetrical. Higher download than upload.

I use them on the 279 baht plan I get 120 GB per month. I used it tethering to my laptop for Netflix when I was in for surgery as the hospital wifi was always wanting a log in. Had no problem with speed whatsoever. 

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.