IGNORED

purchasing a new car

Rodewayinn

i want to get a new car.  do the dealers haggle or does everyone pay the sticker price? 

20 hours ago, Rodewayinn said:

i want to get a new car.  do the dealers haggle or does everyone pay the sticker price? 

Simple answer is ask...some dealers will and others will offer freebies instead....decide which car you want and go to as many local dealers as possible ask for a cash discount if they say cannot walk out and find a dealer that will.......I played one dealer (Nissan car) off against another until I got a good deal....walked out of the Siam Nissan Dealership here in Patts after showing them an offer from another dealership,cannot do they said OK bye....only for them to call me a couple of hours later saying can you leave a deposit.

Toyota and Honda are not well known for decent discounts but it doesn`t stop you from trying :GrinNod1:

19 minutes ago, petermik said:

Simple answer is ask...some dealers will and others will offer freebies instead....decide which car you want and go to as many local dealers as possible ask for a cash discount if they say cannot walk out and find a dealer that will.......I played one dealer (Nissan car) off against another until I got a good deal....walked out of the Siam Nissan Dealership here in Patts after showing them an offer from another dealership,cannot do they said OK bye....only for them to call me a couple of hours later saying can you leave a deposit.

Toyota and Honda are not well known for decent discounts but it doesn`t stop you from trying :GrinNod1:

what % off?  1000 baht?  10000 baht?  i see the freebies like insurance when i went to a few.  thanks for you help.

When I bought my Toyota truck, I got the first year insurance (advertised incentive) plus the windows tinted and window wind deflectors at the top of the doors. I can't remember if they gave me the scratch guards for the door handles or if I bought them when I picked it up. 

No discount of published price, but I was also putting 300,000 down and financing the remainder through Toyota Leasing on a purchase, not a lease. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/03/2021 at 11:24, Rodewayinn said:

what % off?  1000 baht?  10000 baht?  i see the freebies like insurance when i went to a few.  thanks for you help.

I negotiated a 40,000 baht discount on a Nissan Almera Sportech...plus tints insurance mats and tank full of fuel.........listed price at that time 2016 was 485,000 baht.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, petermik said:

I negotiated a 40,000 baht discount on a Nissan Almera Sportech...plus tints insurance mats and tank full of fuel.........listed price at that time 2016 was 485,000 baht.

thanks for the info!

Not the same country but i bought a used Subaru Levorg at a Subaru registered dealer here in Japan.  They refused to give me any discount because this particular car was in very high demand at the time. 

I did ask for and got an extended warranty for free.  Originally they offered 18 months but i ended up getting 5 years total.  So far this warranty has cost them about $5000 USD in various repairs and a one time cash refund for compensation on one issue.  I even got to drive a brand new BRZ for a weekend during one recall they did to replace some faulty parts.  

Got to say Subaru have been excellent.  

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2021 at 18:30, Garzan said:

When I bought my Toyota truck, I got the first year insurance (advertised incentive) plus the windows tinted and window wind deflectors at the top of the doors. I can't remember if they gave me the scratch guards for the door handles or if I bought them when I picked it up. 

No discount of published price, but I was also putting 300,000 down and financing the remainder through Toyota Leasing on a purchase, not a lease. 

I have bought several cars and my experience is they will not discount but offer all the things Garzan mentioned for free when pressed. I have read some stories but really, I can negotiate and it has not worked in a cash reduction for me. Also, I see the same exact prices all over Thailand.

Jack

• Like 2

Didn’t get a cash discount at Toyota, but was able to negotiate free first class insurance for a year, tinting and floor matts. They would not throw in anything that was Toyota official. 

Something to watch out for - colour selection on some specific brands is a big deal. Thais only want white or black typically, so any other colour like silver is typically sold discounted to rental or fleet cars - which can hurt your resale value - as everyone assumes it’s been beaten. Safest to look at their marketing material and pick the main colour they use. 

Edited by claredale

• 3 months later...
On 26/04/2021 at 21:59, claredale said:

Didn’t get a cash discount at Toyota, but was able to negotiate free first class insurance for a year, tinting and floor matts. They would not throw in anything that was Toyota official. 

Something to watch out for - colour selection on some specific brands is a big deal. Thais only want white or black typically, so any other colour like silver is typically sold discounted to rental or fleet cars - which can hurt your resale value - as everyone assumes it’s been beaten. Safest to look at their marketing material and pick the main colour they use. 

Around here silver is the second most common color on the road after white with black a distant third.

To the OP.  I just bought a Toyota.  They didn't discount it but they threw in extra window tint, a roof rack+tray, floor mats, and first year insurance.  If I bought those myself they'd run around 80K฿.  Also after I got Toyota's offer on my trade-in the sales girl called in a broker who gave me 50K฿ more.

I've ordered, but not yet received a new Toyota sedan. I had to pay an extra 10kb for pearl white, but they did throw in free window tint, door handle scratch protectors, floor mats, and the plastic trim pieces above the windows to reduce noise. Like you, I'm also getting a year of insurance, but I don't have a trade-in. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Garzan said:

I've ordered, but not yet received a new Toyota sedan. I had to pay an extra 10kb for pearl white, but they did throw in free window tint, door handle scratch protectors, floor mats, and the plastic trim pieces above the windows to reduce noise. Like you, I'm also getting a year of insurance, but I don't have a trade-in. 

I hope you get it.  I ordered mine 10 days before Toyota shut down three factories in Thailand due to parts shortages.  The dealership called me two days before delivery was due to let me know mine was complete other than the upgrades which they could do in house.

ToyotaHome.thumb.jpg.1bfceb03ab8c4e724ab3d4ea89b8d2e8.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Garzan said:

My Rav4 Hybrid that I owned in Australia was also pearl white, I think it's the best colour choice in the range, especially in a hot country

11 minutes ago, Syco said:

My Rav4 Hybrid that I owned in Australia was also pearl white, I think it's the best colour choice in the range, especially in a hot country

My last Fortuner was pearl white.  (Called See kai muk over here) and it was fine in the sun.  My only issue with it was it showed it needed a wash during the rainy season a lot more than the silver ones I saw around.  Plus I wanted a change.  I do think that the white reflects the sun best, with silver coming in second.

Contrary to a previous poster's statement, I rented a vehicle from one of the major rental companies at the airport every year during our visits for the last 10 years before we moved here.  The rentals were always white.

2 minutes ago, tko said:

My last Fortuner was pearl white.  (Called See kai muk over here) and it was fine in the sun.  My only issue with it was it showed it needed a wash during the rainy season a lot more than the silver ones I saw around.  Plus I wanted a change.  I do think that the white reflects the sun best, with silver coming in second.

Contrary to a previous poster's statement, I rented a vehicle from one of the major rental companies at the airport every year during our visits for the last 10 years before we moved here.  The rentals were always white.

Yes white and silver are the best for reflecting the heat. When I was working in the car industry in Aus, because of the heat in Queensland where I was working , it was always more difficult trying to sell a black , or really dark coloured car. 

On 21/03/2021 at 20:44, hatguy said:

Not the same country but i bought a used Subaru Levorg at a Subaru registered dealer here in Japan.  They refused to give me any discount because this particular car was in very high demand at the time. 

I did ask for and got an extended warranty for free.  Originally they offered 18 months but i ended up getting 5 years total.  So far this warranty has cost them about $5000 USD in various repairs and a one time cash refund for compensation on one issue.  I even got to drive a brand new BRZ for a weekend during one recall they did to replace some faulty parts.  

Got to say Subaru have been excellent.  

Puts me right off ever buying a Subaru, if you had 5K worth of repairs on a new motor.

It was bought in 2017 and was a 2015 year model.  Not new and had 31000 km on the clock.  

Each to their own mate.  I'm just glad i had a warranty.  Still valid until next year!

Even with white theres white and there’s white 😂

We wanted a white car and they offered me quite a big discount if I took an “off white” display car as they had been unable to shift it. I took it as the discount was quite hefty and I wasn’t very bothered about colour.

That was about 11 years ago though, on an Isuzu.

We remained with Isuzu for the next car and they wouldn’t technically discount but upped the trade in instead. 

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

5 hours ago, whitespider said:

Even with white theres white and there’s white 😂

We wanted a white car and they offered me quite a big discount if I took an “off white” display car as they had been unable to shift it. I took it as the discount was quite hefty and I wasn’t very bothered about colour.

That was about 11 years ago though, on an Isuzu.

We remained with Isuzu for the next car and they wouldn’t technically discount but upped the trade in instead. 

I didn’t know dealers done trade ins ! Do you get a fair price or like back in the uk you are better selling your own car than trading in ? 

2 hours ago, Bertman said:

I didn’t know dealers done trade ins ! Do you get a fair price or like back in the uk you are better selling your own car than trading in ? 

I don't know if all of them do, but ours did.  It turned out that a used vehicle broker that our salesgirl called in beat the dealer's offer by 50K.  I was offered 30K less than the broker offered by a couple of private parties when they heard we we're changing vehicles.  So the dealer's offer isn't the best, but I would have taken it if it was the only one on the table.  They were all in the same range.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey there! Buying a new car can be pretty exciting, but also a bit overwhelming. From what I've experienced, dealers are definitely open to negotiating most of the time. It's rare that someone pays the full sticker price, so don't be afraid to haggle a bit.