IGNORED

Thai phrase for getting the spice just right

coolbluebahamut

16 minutes ago, rioman said:

There is a reason why a large percentage of thai eating places/dishes have condiments available on table such that you make it as spicy as you want. 

Only ones that I see do this, are Noodle shop.

16 minutes ago, rioman said:

I guess that is why I do not eat in many restaurants in Thailand where you may have to describe how spicy your food should be.  

Don't disagree with this, and all my favourites Thai restaurants would never ask how spicy I want it, as they would just presume I know what to expect by me dining there.

Edited by Leo_Bia

43 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

Only ones that I see do this, are Noodle shop.

In all restaurants; food markets and market plabes I've been to there has been condiments. Either the "standard 4" or what would accompany their menu

46 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

all my favourites Thai restaurants would never ask how spicy

Apparently we don't frequent the same places.
Whenever I order a dish in any of the cheap eateries I prefer that the Thai's generally eat hot, staff will politely ask: ped -mai ped and leave the choices with me.

Personally I prefer to ask for it less spicy, then top it up to my taste with the chilli flakes on the table. Less chance of confusion and guaranteed edible meal.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 12/03/2021 at 21:34, coolbluebahamut said:

His solution was a Thai phrase but I don't remember what it was. I want to think it translated to "Make it like you would for a Thai person", but I'm not sure. Every time I go to a Thai restaurant in America, I keep feeling like I wish I had this indispensable tool.

Aow rot chat khon Thai. 

• Like 1