IGNORED

Foreign tourists are now required to download ‘Thailand Plus’ mobile application prior to arrival

The Pattaya News

The Pattaya News
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thailand- The following is a press release from the Thai Tourism Authority. Their statements and opinions are their own. Bangkok, 25 February 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to advise all foreign tourists who have received the Certificate of Entry (COE) documentation to Thailand that they are now required to download […]

Foreign tourists are now required to download ‘Thailand Plus’ mobile application prior to arrival
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-
The Pattaya News - Real. Unbiased. Impactful. In the moment.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

Yeah and you supposed to have the corona app downloaded on your phone in Colombia as well, but have flown around here and even though they line you up outside of airport(presumably to look at this) it does not seem to be a requirement.  

On 25/02/2021 at 22:03, WhiteThai said:

The app doesn't work!

Same for me. I down loaded it again this morning and it won't even open.

Yesterday they were enforcing it's use at Central Festival and since I didn't have it had to fill out a form with Name, Passport #, Address, and phone number.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Goolabert said:

Same for me. I down loaded it again this morning and it won't even open.

Yesterday they were enforcing it's use at Central Festival and since I didn't have it had to fill out a form with Name, Passport #, Address, and phone number.

The Thaichana one works fine for me, you just scan the QR code.

I just downloaded the Thaichana app. English instructions, simple to register,  and looks easy to use. The Thailand Pluss app wouldn't even open, just kept crashing.

Now I can go thru the motions when required to scan the QR code. I have already mastered the Ninja Palm Strike for the temperature tripods.

I'll sure be happy when all this crap goes away.

OK, I’ll bite. Where does one get the QR code? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

29 minutes ago, ctp2018 said:

OK, I’ll bite. Where does one get the QR code? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I think they mean the QR Code when entering a building that requires you to log in.

But what do i know, as I am another one without a smartphone.

• 4 weeks later...

do you need to keep this app/location on 24/7? do they require it at customs when you enter thailand ??

I'm thinking of getting a throwaway and keeping it on there, not sure what they would need all the permissions on my phone for

43 minutes ago, Fistful said:

do you need to keep this app/location on 24/7? do they require it at customs when you enter thailand ??

I'm thinking of getting a throwaway and keeping it on there, not sure what they would need all the permissions on my phone for

it runs in the background and is pretty low consumption on the battery.

they don't check when you enter Thailand (or at least they didn't a few days ago) but it is linked to your COE

Edited by Brownie

1 hour ago, Fistful said:

If you dont give them all the info that exists on you, how are they going to frame you ??

You dont think the BIB needs money in this hour of need ??

Talk about being selfish... :Think1:

8 minutes ago, Fistful said:

what happens if you keep it in your appartment or battery dies mid day far from hotel?

You'll be rounded up immediately and deported.

• 1 year later...
On 31/03/2021 at 05:54, Brownie said:

it runs in the background and is pretty low consumption on the battery.

they don't check when you enter Thailand (or at least they didn't a few days ago) but it is linked to your COE

I disagree about the battery consumption at least with regard to driving longer distances.

I drove from Jomtien to Khon Kaen today (about an 8 hour drive if you go at it a little leisurely). I use Google Maps to keep my fragile old Farang brain in gear with regard to directions. I was about 6 hours on the way to Khon Kaen and the phone battery was near death. I had charged the phone to 100% just before leaving Jomtien.

This is a problem because it is the last 2 hours that I really need Ms Google's assistance with. As usual the TGF is a little more brain nimble than I am and gets me to connect the phone to the car's phone charger. This keeps it alive but barely.

I have driven to Phuket pre Thailand Pass with the same phone. It is an iPhone XS, no longer state of the art but neither is it ancient technology.  No problems at that time.

We limp into the Khon Kaen area (Ms Google's voice went out due to the low battery, but the maps still displayed). After we unload the car and say hello to the TGF's family, I take a look at the phone. I had become concerned that I need to replace it. I see that Thailand Pass has been going nuts communicating my position to the server. Paranoid app design.

I should probably disable the app.

Edited by ChiFlyer

The app will eventually remove the need to fill out a place of stay upon entry. Tracking has its upsides. 

5 minutes ago, dnaliaht said:

The app will eventually remove the need to fill out a place of stay upon entry. Tracking has its upsides. 

With regard to this app -> Let's agree to disagree.

29 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

With regard to this app -> Let's agree to disagree.

That’s the joke. People would be crazy to download these things on their phone. 

15 minutes ago, dnaliaht said:

That’s the joke. People would be crazy to download these things on their phone. 

Yet it is required to enter Thailand, at least it was.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I disagree about the battery consumption at least with regard to driving longer distances.

I see that Thailand Pass has been going nuts communicating my position to the server. Paranoid app design.

I should probably disable the app.

Perhaps turn of the mobile data and the location services for just that app. That should reduce it's battery usage.

The app doesn't seem to work for many and that is normal

I tried it and it did a download, but it won't open. I will put my details on my phone and have a hard copy with me if needed. It's the best I can do under the circumstances.

23 hours ago, tt2008 said:

Perhaps turn of the mobile data and the location services for just that app. That should reduce it's battery usage.

A good idea.

I was/am a little miffed that they would put something out that was this poorly thought out. Yeah, it was done under the crisis level pressure of the pandemic, but still they have had more than enough time to reconsider what they have made available. It's the usual Thai government thought process. -> Only tourists are in our country and they stay in one place or travel by plane.