IGNORED

"No spice at all"

filipef

As i don't like spicy food (shame on me), one of the first things i have asked to know was how to say "not spicy" and, of course, the answer was "mai ped" (forget it if it is not correctly written).

But.... "not spicy" is not exactly the same as "no spice at all" (as "not salty" is not the same as "no salt at all"), so, sometimes food arrives with some spice/chill. Some times i can handle it, some times i can not.

Years ago, someone teached me how to ask for "no spice at all" food, but i forgot it. Can you help me to remember it?

53 minutes ago, filipef said:

As i don't like spicy food (shame on me), one of the first things i have asked to know was how to say "not spicy" and, of course, the answer was "mai ped" (forget it if it is not correctly written).

But.... "not spicy" is not exactly the same as "no spice at all" (as "not salty" is not the same as "no salt at all"), so, sometimes food arrives with some spice/chill. Some times i can handle it, some times i can not.

Years ago, someone teached me how to ask for "no spice at all" food, but i forgot it. Can you help me to remember it?

Mai phrik

No. PH is not pronounced F like in english. It's basically "Prick". Work an H sound in there after the P if you can.

1 hour ago, filipef said:

Mai Tawng Sai Prik (Khrap)

Edited by Leo_Bia

ขอไม่ใส่พริกเลย

Please don’t use any chili at all.

ไม่เผ็ดเลยครับ

Don’t make it spicy at all.

copy and paste to Google translate to learn how to say them. Transliterated Thai is too inaccurate.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
8 minutes ago, Bobson VaGene said:

Just keep it simple and say

ไม่เผ็ด

mâi pèt

Not spicy

Generally doesn’t work as most Thais, especially cooks, will take this as being “mild” not “none at all”. So they will still add a little bit.

Especially if you are ordering a dish where chili is a standard ingredient. 

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I personally found it worked fine, but add ไม่ใส่พริก: mâi sài prík if you want to be extra cautious

It was when I said เผ็ดนิดหน่อย: pèt nít-nɔi that I ran into problems, wanting just a tiny little kick but instead getting molten lava

13 minutes ago, Bobson VaGene said:

I personally found it worked fine, but add ไม่ใส่พริก: mâi sài prík if you want to be extra cautious

It was when I said เผ็ดนิดหน่อย: pèt nít-nɔi that I ran into problems, wanting just a tiny little kick but instead getting molten lava

Agree mate it “should” work, and probably would in many cases - just not all.

From your Thai I’d guess you’ve been here a while so will know how set in their ways they can be about food.

Ive eaten at the same street stall 2 or 3 times a week for 15 years and the locals still piss themselves laughing coz I put the spicy sauce for Khao Mun Gai on my red pork and boiled eggs with rice. Usually at least one will come and try to show me I should have the sweet red gunge stuff on that and seem quite offended even at times.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

5 hours ago, whitespider said:

Ive eaten at the same street stall 2 or 3 times a week for 15 years and the locals still piss themselves laughing coz I put the spicy sauce for Khao Mun Gai on my red pork and boiled eggs with rice. Usually at least one will come and try to show me I should have the sweet red gunge stuff on that and seem quite offended even at times.

I once read a story where the Thai wife would not add salt even when the food was under-seasoned because she felt she would be offending the chef causing them to lose face.

When the falang husband finally convinced her to add salt one day, it was like a whole new world opened up to the wife 555

@whitespiderTo be honest I'm just a typical two week tourist who has been studying Thai for 3 years via private lessons, self study and chatting to native speakers either IRL or online. 

During lockdown I got a lifetime subscription for Thaipod101.com so slowly getting through that as well as chatting to native hotties on the chat app Tandem.

On 08/02/2021 at 22:21, filipef said:

People thinks they will be safe with Mai Ped but it is not always the case, especially in restaurant catering at 99% for locals.

However, I have a 100% success rate with: 

อย่าใส่พริกเลย = Ya Sai Phrik Leeuy = don't put chili at all

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

ไม่เผ็ด (Mai-Pet) actually means not too much spicy, a little spicy or lower the spicy level from standard level when they are cooking.

You can simply say ไม่ใส่พริกนะครับ (mai-sai-prik-na-krub) and wave your hands like when you say no.

You can't get away from spicy with some menu because the materail was mixed with chilies already. be prepared to change your menu if they reply you with something confused haha

Two hands around your throat making gagging noises and saying not spicy generally works unless you are way out of town.   Or show them this

image.jpeg.cd19d097ceb54862e3ad6eadd740ea64.jpeg

I can recommend an alternate destination…..despite its name, Chile is the original land of bland.   If you can taste anything at all it will be a miracle.

The girls…may take a bit of hunting to find one to your liking but worth it.