IGNORED

gramma rules and sentence structure to use when speaking Thai

poseidon5566

I don't know if this helps others but lets see. while studying I have found out some facts about this language.

firstly when speaking thai a lot of the information can be cut out of the sentence for example.  Instead of saying "I'm fine" (pom sabaidee kup) or "you're fine,"(khun sabaidee kup ) you can simply say "fine." (sabaidee)   The situation and context will tell us whether it is "you" or "me." also while not necessary if you wish to be more formal or polite you can start the sentence with I which for men is pom and for girls chan 

2.  to turn a yes or no statement into a question, add the word ไหม (mai) at the end. It is usually pronounced มั้ย(mai with a rising higher pitch tone at the end)

3.  after you have asked how are you? they may respond with leaw khun la (and you?) the la is added at the end to elicit a response from the speaker 

4. Adjective words follow the nouns in Thai.  So instead of saying nice weather you would say weather nice (agaat dee).  Additionally modifiers of adjectives like very come after the adjective so the weather is very hot changes into weather hot very (agaat rawn maak) also the word the is scrapped from the sentence when speaking in Thai. 

I'm hoping other people can help keep this going. Also if i have made any mistakes please point them out, but this is the explanations from the language programme I am following and should allow me to start stringing words together properly as I learn them. these are the things i struggle most with this language. thai script is copy paste i cant not read a single word of Thai.   

You'll find the words that sound so similar in Thai are often only understood in sentence context by Thai ppl as well. This surprised me quite a bit.

• Like 1