IGNORED

Country Flags On PA

Add me to the members who can't see the country flags of other members. This is especially a problem if you read the threads about Covid. Guys talk about vaccine numbers in their country or what their current border rules are and you have no idea what country they're talking about. Perhaps you could get rid of the flag avatars and just let us insert our country names if there's a problem with the flags.

Sorry, just realized I should have put this in the Technical Issues forum. Still, hopefully a mod will see this and consider the issue!

Just now, Crushed said:

Are you looking on a phone, tablet or a computer?  I can't see any flags when I am using a phone or tablet however I see them when I use my laptop.

I could see the flags before when someone mentioned this a while back and was not having a problem, but now I am. I'm using a laptop with Firefox. I guess I should clear out my cache and see if that matters.

2 minutes ago, briguy said:

I guess I should clear out my cache and see if that matters.

Did that and still no flags...

No flags for me on an iPad on safari.  Used to see them, don’t remember when they stopped.

This is an Invision issue, with their geo-location API

Untill it sorts there’s nothing we can do. 

Geo-location APIs are notoriously “awkward” - look at all the fuckups on Facebook maps as a good example.

Unfortunately we don’t have the option to turn them off either so we seem stuck with it until an update fixes it.

• Like 2

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

2 hours ago, whitespider said:

This is an Invision issue, with their geo-location API

Thank you for that. I thought the software just looked at whatever the user selected in their profile for country, and substituted an image icon for the text. Low tech I know. It sounds from your explanation that Invision chose to go complicated rather than simple.  

Looked at a few threads and it looks like I can now see the flags of people from my own country (United States), but not other countries. Curiouser and curiouser...

1 hour ago, Garzan said:

Thank you for that. I thought the software just looked at whatever the user selected in their profile for country, and substituted an image icon for the text. Low tech I know. It sounds from your explanation that Invision chose to go complicated rather than simple.  

In the good old days they did although it had to be done with a Plugin

Kinda annoying to make something simple so compilcated

6 hours ago, keepitfun said:

No flags for me on an iPad on safari.  Used to see them, don’t remember when they stopped.

I can see the flags of each poster, and I’m using Safari on an iPad. I can see your location and Strayan flag. 

12 minutes ago, Melboy66 said:

I can see the flags of each poster, and I’m using Safari on an iPad. I can see your location and Strayan flag. 

Yeah seems to work at times and not at others. Likewise for some members, not others.

Its not a platform issue as I’m on Safari on iPad and don’t see any although sometimes I do.

23 minutes ago, Melboy66 said:

If you are really desperate to see a poster's flag, you can, by doing the following:

- right click on the graphic where the flag is supposed to be, then choose "open image in new tab" from the pop-up menu

- in the URL of the new tab, you can see the filename of the flag.  So for Melboy66 I see "Australia.gif"

Edited by wadman
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whitespider said:

Yeah seems to work at times and not at others. Likewise for some members, not others.

Its not a platform issue as I’m on Safari on iPad and don’t see any although sometimes I do.

I used to use Tapatalk, and couldn’t see the flags, likes, or quotes. I’ve been using Safari since, and I’m pretty sure the flags have constantly been showing 

Just now, Melboy66 said:

I used to use Tapatalk, and couldn’t see the flags, likes, or quotes. I’ve been using Safari since, and I’m pretty sure the flags have constantly been showing 

Yes mate

As I have tried to explain its an Invision issue and its intermittent

The matter is totally out of our hands so we simply have to wait

1 minute ago, wadman said:

If you are really desperate to see a poster's flag, you can, by doing the following:

- right click on the where the flag is supposed to be, then choose "open image in new tab" from the pop-up menu

- in the URL of the new tab, you can see the filename of the flag.  So for Melboy66 I see "Australia.gif"

Yes that is probably right, but you right click on an iPad. 

5 minutes ago, Melboy66 said:

On my android phone, to get such a menu to popup, it's click and hold. I would imagine it's similar on an iPad. 

1 minute ago, wadman said:

On my android phone, to get such a menu to popup, it's click and hold. I would imagine it's similar on an iPad. 

If I click and hold, I get Siri asking me how she can help me

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Melboy66 said:

If I click and hold, I get Siri asking me how she can help me

Tell Siri she is being a nosey bitch. 

3 minutes ago, wadman said:

I once told Siri to Get F...ed. She then skolded me for being abusive. I replied ‘sorry Siri’. She then said my name and apology accepted. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, wadman said:

I can see some flags, but not others.

Say to Siri "Talk dirty to me" and she replies "...." I can't, I'm as clean as the driven snow" :D 

• 1 month later...
On 21/01/2021 at 19:50, wadman said:

- right click on the graphic where the flag is supposed to be, then choose "open image in new tab" from the pop-up menu

Now we need to right click and then  inspect 

image.png.353be7b91829e3fceac1c33a5fad286d.png

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

On 21/01/2021 at 19:53, Melboy66 said:

How do you right click on an iPad when it’s a touch screen? 

3 hours ago, Dr No said:

How do you right click on an iPad when it’s a Touch screen? 

Can’t was inexplicably omitted from the text.