Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Looking for children's books to learn thai. Any recommendations

poseidon5566

Right fellow mongers. It has come to this, what children's books will teach me the alphabet.  So I can painfully try translating a 1 year old children's story, before graduating on to the dizzy heights of Thai seismic Street. I fear the slow and painful method is the only one left that will work. Thankfully I am surrounded by thais at work to help me in this endeavor. I have found this but not bought it yet https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Alphabet-Book-Kids-Educational/dp/B087FG9LX9/ref=asc_df_B087FG9LX9/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=435704109807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11007889907347747244&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045006&hvtargid=pla-908299310042&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=103760559080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=435704109807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11007889907347747244&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045006&hvtargid=pla-908299310042 I'm tired of buying things that are useless 

Edited by poseidon5566

Not an alphabet book, but there is the free Manee childrens book series:

https://www.expatden.com/thai/download-12-free-manee-books/

There is a youtube lesson based on the Manee books here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=717sIz7paZk

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

If you are surrounded by Thais willing to help then this is one of the best and cheapest ways to do it. Not the most fun as it does not start with sentences and a story like Mana Manee, but drills you to read all the permutations. Anyway, read the review here and the whole series of books are available to buy online. The Mana Manee set of books is also available to buy online for pennies too, but you can also download Mana Manee set as free ebooks as well as stated/linked above).

หัดอ่านภาษาไทยแบบใหม่ [Learning to Read Thai the New Way] Volumes 1-7 by ไสว สุนทร [Suwai Suntorn]

http://www.thai-language.com/book-reviews#3

Edited by mww
Add in book title
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’d suggest you get Thai alphabet flash cards to start. Basically a park of cards, with one for each letter. Shuffle them up and then test yourself a few at a time each day. Available at any book store. Look for ones with drawings as it can help with the memorisation initially and you’ll learn a new word. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 10:14, claredale said:

I’d suggest you get Thai alphabet flash cards to start. Basically a park of cards, with one for each letter. Shuffle them up and then test yourself a few at a time each day. Available at any book store. Look for ones with drawings as it can help with the memorisation initially and you’ll learn a new word. 

i like your information 

• 6 months later...

Flashcards for sure. Used to just hit them in uni with any spare time between my sitting down and the teacher starting up. After a semester, I was sorted.

Highly recommend a mnemonic approach - using cards with letters as pictures. So, like, gaw gai ก which means chicken will be pictured with a chicken inside the letter, fit to its form to help you remember.

Also learning them I'm chunks.

1.) Low class consonants

2.) Mid class consonants

3.) High class consonants

This helps remember the class of each letter and will be loads of help later on.

Edited by Sofa King High

On 18/01/2021 at 07:08, poseidon5566 said:

Right fellow mongers. It has come to this, what children's books will teach me the alphabet.  So I can painfully try translating a 1 year old children's story, before graduating on to the dizzy heights of Thai seismic Street. I fear the slow and painful method is the only one left that will work. Thankfully I am surrounded by thais at work to help me in this endeavor. I have found this but not bought it yet https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Alphabet-Book-Kids-Educational/dp/B087FG9LX9/ref=asc_df_B087FG9LX9/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=435704109807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11007889907347747244&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045006&hvtargid=pla-908299310042&psc=1&th=1&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=103760559080&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=435704109807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11007889907347747244&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045006&hvtargid=pla-908299310042 I'm tired of buying things that are useless 

How'd ya get on then?

1 hour ago, Sofa King High said:

How'd ya get on then?

i paid the subscription to learn thai podacst, and have little time with this nursing degree

Edited by poseidon5566

On 29/11/2021 at 00:05, poseidon5566 said:

i paid the subscription to learn thai podacst, and have little time with this nursing degree

Nursing degree while living and working in Thailand sounds interesting.

Learn-Thai-Podcast is an amazing program if you can find the time and be consistent - especially the reading and writing.