IGNORED

Young foreigner female injured on cycle track around Mabprachan lake last night - anyone know if she is ok?

pchappo

Hi all,

I was cycling around Mabprachan lake last night around 4:45pm and there was a young female cyclist who had just had an accident with what looks like a motorbike on the cycle track. I didnt stop as there was a load of people already there with a man on a telephone to rescue services. 

There was an immense amount of blood and it looked like a head injury - Dont know if anyone know about it and if she was ok?

Regards

Peter. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

No response yet?

You say "cycle" - you mean bicycle? Is that a bicycle track - velodrome or mountain bike? 

TGOEA

I opened the the OPs post out of concern for the biker. You should understand I am not always perfect with forum posts on whatever subject. 

Having said that, after not finding any news item on the serious accident - I then learned about this bike path (which is a more familiar term where I come from). 

Still haven't found info on the accident.

TGOEA

2 hours ago, Bira said:

I opened the the OPs post out of concern for the biker. You should understand I am not always perfect with forum posts on whatever subject. 

Having said that, after not finding any news item on the serious accident - I then learned about this bike path (which is a more familiar term where I come from). 

Still haven't found info on the accident.

There's actually both types of bike tracks around Mabprachan, mtn bike off road and a paved bike path. From the OP's post it sounds like the accident was on the paved bike path.

The bike path is for exclusive use of bikes and pedestrians, but I've seen vehicles parked on the path, and motorbikes riding where they shouldn't be.

Pics of both tracks in these posts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Unfortunately just read of another bicycle fatality around Mabprachan. From the pictures it appears he was riding on the road and not the bike path. RIP to the guy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bikepattaya/permalink/2796241577296868/

He shouldn't go driving with his front wheel loose. 

Just kidding it's a shame he got hit by a drunk driver,but I only go on a road like that in a car 

1 hour ago, nonthamat said:

He shouldn't go driving with his front wheel loose. 

Just kidding it's a shame he got hit by a drunk driver,but I only go on a road like that in a car 

He should have been safe given just how wide the shoulder is on that road in the photos.

5 hours ago, Roadglide said:

He should have been safe given just how wide the shoulder is on that road in the photos.

With the repaving and widening of the road, the shoulder should have been a safe place to ride. Even safer would have been the bike path just a few meters over, but he may have been meaning to turn onto one of the upcoming side sois.

The tire marks on the road tell the story. The oxygen waster that was driving the truck was clearly driving at speed and at some point completely left the road, corrected and came flying back over the shoulder, took out the guy on the bike  and still had enough speed to roll the truck. Poor guy on the bike probably never knew what hit him. RIP to him, and may karma come back and bite the ahole in the truck big time.

152348004_2897318063843453_3772296822539750336_n.jpg

154654011_2897318030510123_4069596694298453922_n.jpg

The bike seat says it all...

That could have been any one of us.. I ride my motorcycle around there often.... 

Nothing will happen to the driver, pay a small fine, gift basket and he can go back killing again... 

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Poor guy on the bike probably never knew what hit him.

Let's hope that was the case..... :(

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

11 hours ago, Roadglide said:

It should be ok but Thai drivers......

Fucking hell, poor guy. Looks like he was dragged and decapitated underneath the ute. R.i.p big fella, being in your early 40s is way too young to die.

Super sad that someone died, but, if you ride a bike (pedal or motor), you have a death wish.  I will give you an iron clad 100% guarantee that metal v bone will always result in metal winning.  I'm constantly bemused by cyclists who recant their rights, the law etc, etc.  Only one law counts - Einstein's.

I ride a motorbike for pleasure, I accept the risks.  BUT, if something is going sideways I can hit that throttle and, hopefully, power out of there.  You would never Catch Me riding a push bike in some of the places I see people riding.

52 minutes ago, Gogosloth said:

Super sad that someone died, but, if you ride a bike (pedal or motor), you have a death wish.  I will give you an iron clad 100% guarantee that metal v bone will always result in metal winning.  I'm constantly bemused by cyclists who recant their rights, the law etc, etc.  Only one law counts - Einstein's.

I ride a motorbike for pleasure, I accept the risks.  BUT, if something is going sideways I can hit that throttle and, hopefully, power out of there.  You would never catch me riding a push bike in some of the places I see people riding.

Most definitely stick to riding what you're comfortable with, but in this instance it could have been just as easily a motorbike or motorcycle that was taken out by the idiot behind the wheel of his cage.

4 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Most definitely stick to riding what you're comfortable with, but in this instance it could have been just as easily a motorbike or motorcycle that was taken out by the idiot behind the wheel of his cage.

Very unpredictable for the innocent bystander when an accident like that happens. The driver has slewed to the left , then  over corrected, the rider probably thought they would have been safe at first, until it veered the other way. 

RIP to the rider.

People who joke or make flippant comments about these types of incidents disgust me, especially when you don't know the facts. Really, if that is all you have to say it would be better to say nothing.
My thoughts are with the deceased who was hit by an out of control truck and the girl who it seems was hit by a motorbike on a cycle path. 

18 minutes ago, Geordie59 said:

People who joke or make flippant comments about these types of incidents disgust me,

Have u ever noticed that if it's a foreigner, u dont get too many of these comments but if it's a local, it's like they have a licence to say whatever they want. That was someone's son, probably someone's father and husband.

I can be pretty brutal and dark with comments but I draw the line at some poor bastard being run over by a fucking drunk and killed. Even worse is the fact he'll probably not have much punishment meted out to him.

In this case it was a drunk driver.  Could have killed anyone.  Could have driven into the side of a shop and killed innocent people standing inside.

My comment above was not to be callous, it was directed at the dangers of bike riding and the ability of the rider, NOT the vehicle driver, to reduce the risks. The bike rider cannot stop a drunk deciding to drive. The bike rider CAN choose where they ride.  This discussion can go on forever RE the options of the rider, the fact they dont own a car, they were late for work, everyone rides here etc, etc.  My point is, no matter how sad, how tragic, ultimately only the bike rider (the guaranteed loser in the metal v bone discussion) can make the final choice.

• 4 weeks later...

If you arent in the mix you wont get killed. 99% guaranteed. Commiserations and all but I wont ride/drive in Thailand.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.

6 hours ago, Pooliekev said:

If you arent in the mix you wont get killed. 99% guaranteed. Commiserations and all but I wont ride/drive in Thailand.

Plenty dead people were not 'in the mix';  sometimes called collateral damage, maybe innocent bystanders.  This girl is dead because of a drunk, not because she was 'in the mix'. 

• Like 1

Thats why it says 99% guaranteed. I am aware of that.

I'm very aware of the parlous state of Thailand road safety. Just be as cautious as you can.

Edited by Pooliekev

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.