Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

What is there to see and do in issan. that does not involve abused animals

poseidon5566

Just as above i know nothing about this area and you tube is a bit thin on information. My understanding is the main areas are udon thani and khon kaen, hotels seem to be a bit dated but functional and most nightlife aimed at the thai market. cany anyone fill me in what prices were like pre covid for hotels and drinks ect as well as some hotel recommendations to start looking at please thank you    

• Like 2

Abused animals? My Greek friends told me the sheep love it and bleat for more.

I have been going to Isaan for over 20 years and have seen no animal abuse so I am curious why you are even saying this???

hotels are reasonable. Google hotels.com  Covid has reduced mongering and open nightlife. 

Maybe its better you stay in Pattaya ??? Just saying.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2021 at 02:16, poseidon5566 said:

Just as above i know nothing about this area and you tube is a bit thin on information. My understanding is the main areas are udon thani and khon kaen, hotels seem to be a bit dated but functional and most nightlife aimed at the thai market. cany anyone fill me in what prices were like pre covid for hotels and drinks ect as well as some hotel recommendations to start looking at please thank you    

Here's a list of elephant sanctuaries, at least one of which is in Isan Province. http://www.responsiblethailand.co.uk/green-tourism/ethical-elephant-experiences-thailand/ 

Is that what you had in mind? I'd like to see a few of those places as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spent a few days in Nong Khai and enjoyed it. Pleasant small town by the Mekong. I had been in Laos and took a bus there from Vientiane. 

One street with a few Farang friendly beer bars. Not a huge selection but enough that I never ended up back at my hotel alone. A few other bars with girls near the river as well as some pleasant restaurants.

No airport in Nong Khai but an hour by bus to Udon Thani which has plenty of flights to Bangkok and each day to U-Tapao. Much bigger scene in UT but I preferred the smaller town and more laid back scene in Nong Khai. 

• Like 3

On 03/01/2021 at 05:16, poseidon5566 said:

Unless you are going with a thai girl dont bother.

The most fascinating thing about isaan is going to the girls villages and seeing how they live.

• Like 3

12 Pints in Know it all

On 04/01/2021 at 03:26, bjsanook said:

I have been going to Isaan for over 20 years and have seen no animal abuse so I am curious why you are even saying this???

hotels are reasonable. Google hotels.com  Covid has reduced mongering and open nightlife. 

Maybe its better you stay in Pattaya ??? Just saying.

lots of animal abuse in Thailand. monkey shows, elephant shows, elephant riding ect ect. I like adventure zip lining ,white water, historical sites Jungle trails and ethical elephant sanctuaries where there is no riding. sadly it looks like there is not much to see in isaan. I'm also planning this tip on the basis of things returning to normal as I'm not going any where till after the pandemic. im not worried about the reduced mongering on these side trips as there is always some options everywhere in the world if you want company      

• Like 2

Years ago, a TG took me to a VERY cool temple that is built into some caves in/around Udon Thani. Lots of photo opps.

She also took me to a meditation center that was pretty interesting.

Here are a few photos from the temple and one of the meditation center:

25947_10200752065310710_1367716177_n.jpg

559856_10200752098071529_1644771114_n.jpg

560123_10200752081351111_688088777_n.jpg

• Like 3

Have a look through KArls video's https://www.youtube.com/user/drcarlosoboogie a very informed PA member. 

He has done some about north Thailand and around the Mekong river (I think I have that right @Dr.Winston?) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, T-T-T said:

Have a look through KArls video's https://www.youtube.com/user/drcarlosoboogie a very informed PA member. 

He has done some about north Thailand and around the Mekong river (I think I have that right @Dr.Winston?) 

Yes. Plenty to do in Issan and I have featured some of them on my YouTube Channel ‘Karl’s Thailand’. Thanks for the shout.

• Like 3

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Enjoyed going to the Cave at Irwan, and the overnight stay at Pukadin, nice hike. Also the mountains around Loei offer nice cabins for weekend get-a-ways. Note, google don't the correct spelling for these places and neither do I, just how they sound ;o)

10 minutes ago, jetdoc said:

Enjoyed going to the Cave at Irwan, and the overnight stay at Pukadin, nice hike. Also the mountains around Loei offer nice cabins for weekend get-a-ways. Note, google don't the correct spelling for these places and neither do I, just how they sound ;o)

You just reminded me. I hiked back up Phu Kradueng ภูกระดึง a couple of months ago with the intention of making another YouTube video. It was a slow and tough ascent due to the fact that it had rained for a few days previously and the route was a mud bath. It was a great trip and I camped at the top for 3 nights before hiking back down.

Anyway before editing the video I decided to back up my iPhone and upgrade to the latest firmware. Usually I just download the upgrades from my iPhone but this time I did it via ITunes as I heard it’s good to do that once in a while.

Anyway, I swear I backed it all up to the ICloud but after the update was completed I realised I had lost all the A roll footage, all I had left was not enough for a decent video.

Lesson learned the hard way. It is a beautiful way to spend a few days though.

4A18E022-F96A-4E93-B2DE-730E913BA6D8.jpeg

D4FF78C1-38AD-45CC-BEBB-18568976FB68.jpeg

B490CB62-852A-4F5D-9382-3F6A6C67F389.jpeg

• Like 2

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

On 03/01/2021 at 02:16, poseidon5566 said:

hotels in Udon Thani are varied, there are many new ones opened up in the last few years and more being built right now.   Pre covid in Udon there were around 75 falang orientated bars, most are still open even now but with few customers.  Prices for hotels are reasonable, drinks in bars same or a little more expensive than Pattaya.   Really can not recomend any hotel unless know your price range, there are hotels to cover every budget. 

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 10 months later...

There are interesting places to see in every province throughout Isaan and the numerous National Parks are all worth visiting.  Isaan is more suited to Thai domestic tourism and the slow traveler rather than trying to squeeze the region into a short farang sightseeing holiday.

• 7 months later...

Looking forward to getting up there in August trying something a little different just looking to relax.

I'm hoping that I can find a couple of cool temples a very cold Sam Miguel Light and someone who can massage the wrinkles out of my old fella.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I always like to recommend that people check out the perennially less-popular Northeast, for historical sites (the Khmer ruins at Phimai in Khorat province are easily accessible by transit, the town of Phimai is cute and also features what claims to be the world’s largest banyan tree; the site at Phanomrung in Buriram province is more impressive but also more remote and easiest to reach by car), really good local food, rivers and reservoirs, handicrafts, and probably Thailand’s friendliest and least-jaded people.

“Land of Smiles” may be a stupid mythical chestnut, but whatever truth there is to it is truest in Isaan.

Oh, I also really like the local music (molam in Lao-speaking areas and kantreum in Khmer speaking areas) and think they throw really good festivals (of which my favorite is the Khon Kaen Silk Festival, followed by the undeniably touristy but still very interesting Candle Festival in Ubon Ratchani, Pi Ta Kon “ghost festival” in Loei, and the Rocket Festivals in Yasothon, Roi Et, and elsewhere), but partying with Thai rednecks may be an acquired taste.

The Mekongside border town of Nong Khai is one of my favorite places on Earth; the town of Nakhon Phanom is arguably even nicer, but not on the train lines. Visit Ho Chi Minh’s old house there. 

On 05/01/2021 at 21:19, poseidon5566 said:

lots of animal abuse in Thailand. monkey shows, elephant shows, elephant riding ect ect.

It's a land of contrasts alright - I made the mistake of going to the 'famous' crocodile zoo in Samut Prakhan. Bloody hell what an awful place. There was a full grown monkey wearing a baby outfit in a pen with a woman with a stick who hit it when she felt like it. The trouble is Thai people don't take any notice of foreigners complaining about things like this.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 03:26, bjsanook said:

I have been going to Isaan for over 20 years and have seen no animal abuse

Maybe not in Isaan, but see my post above. And they still use chained monkeys to collect coconuts from trees.

Well said, nice post, ThaiSlut. “Partying with the Thai Rednecks may be an acquired taste.” Right on. 

and it takes awhile, but the Issan ways do grow on you. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2022 at 06:51, tsmith18 said:

and it takes awhile, but the Issan ways do grow on you. 

The Issan ways have certainly grown on me, love the place.

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 7 months later...