IGNORED

BA Flights - Different Economy Fares - Be Careful

Wil

I was looking at flights for next year like a lot of us I’m guessing.

I must admit I didn’t really see any prices that interested me however I did see a BA price and clicked on it and I saw they offered Basic and Standard Economy prices and if I didn’t look at what they were offering I could have made an expensive error.

it appears that the cheaper price of Basic Economy only allows you cabin baggage only while the more expensive Standard Economy gives you what you would normally expect

I have heard and flown on budget airlines only allowing you cabin baggage unless you pay extra but not for long haul and not BA.

This might be something people are aware of but encase you weren’t I thought it was worth sharing on the forum.

• Like 2

As much as I hate BA, they are not the only ones doing this. I Havent noticed it too much when flying east, although I had with BA,  but it has become the norm with many airlines when flying from UK/Europe across the Atlantic.

Edited by gmingot
  • Like 2

I wonder if they follow other budget rules as well.   No inflight entertainment, no food or drinks, no pillow or blanket, no headset etc.  Oh, you want a seat belt, thats an extra 20 quid too.

Just now, Gogosloth said:

I wonder if they follow other budget RULES as well.   No inflight entertainment, no food or drinks, no pillow or blanket, no headset etc.  Oh, you want a seat belt, thats an extra 20 quid too.

Its only a matter of time !!!

Does BA have a subsidiary economy brand?  I presume they do.  Odd they are competing in the same paddock, but I guess its bums on seats.  Would be interesting to see if the cheap seats on BA are offered on the same sectors as their subsidiary.

It is worth pointing out OP as BA have been doing this for a while now.Like you said some people could get caugt out by it.At the end of last year i saw good headline price for BA LHR-BKK,but on looking into it one leg of journey was Basic economy.The other standard economy and as stated the basic gives you just carry on luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wil said:

I have heard and flown on budget airlines only allowing you cabin baggage unless you pay extra but not for long haul and not BA.

Been like this for some considerable time now.

6 minutes ago, Gogosloth said:

Does BA have a subsidiary economy brand?  I presume they do.  Odd they are competing in the same paddock, but I guess its bums on seats.  Would be interesting to see if the cheap seats on BA are offered on the same sectors as their subsidiary.

BA themselves do not have low-cost brand. However, BA are owned by IAG and within the IAG stable there are a couple of low-cost brands based in Spain, called Vueling and Level. There is a small amount of direct competion between BA and Vueling between the UK and Spain but there is no direct competition on long haul services.

The airlines like to call it "unbundling" but in reality it a race to the bottom that is driven by comparison websites. The lowest basic cost allows airline to be at the top of the compare list with the extras, if you can call them that, added afterwards. Unfortunately, the majority of consumers are wanting the lowest cost at all costs. 

I have been checking my airline of choice, Oman Air. They have 4 Economy classes, cheapest is with no hold luggage, others have 30kgs.

Prices are Heathrow to Muscat return. 

1850181163_econclasseslhr-mctreturn.thumb.JPG.6b9da98526f27b79dbfdaadcc64f922f.JPG

Airmiles vary also.

1714836983_econmileslhr-mctreturn.JPG.edf9e93f87c27640c503018c02147a3d.JPG

1 hour ago, Leo_Bia said:

Been like this for some considerable time now.

Yeah it probably has however I hadn’t seen it.

I checked the forum and hadn’t seen anyone mentioning it so thought I would highlight to others as they might be caught out.

47 minutes ago, bangna said:

I have been checking my airline of choice, Oman Air. They have 4 Economy classes, cheapest is with no hold luggage, others have 30kgs.

Prices are Heathrow to Muscat return. 

1850181163_econclasseslhr-mctreturn.thumb.JPG.6b9da98526f27b79dbfdaadcc64f922f.JPG

Airmiles vary also.

1714836983_econmileslhr-mctreturn.JPG.edf9e93f87c27640c503018c02147a3d.JPG

Wow they like an Economy class or 4 don’t they.......O man indeed!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Gaztop08 said:

It is worth pointing out OP as BA have been doing this for a while now.Like you said some people could get caugt out by it.At the end of last year i saw good headline price for BA LHR-BKK,but on looking into it one leg of journey was Basic economy.The other standard economy and as stated the basic gives you just carry on luggage.

Definitely if I do look at BA flights I’ll be looking more closely.

I take it you were glad you looked more closely.

I always fly return to Thailand with BA, unfortunately they have had two tier economy class for a couple of years now.

Are BA still going to be flying those ropey old 777's to BKK or have they finally consigned those to the desert ?

I just looked at BA allowance Economy (no checked bag) -  23 kg cabin bag and where can I get a handbag with wheels to carry my gold bars?

481617118_baallowance.JPG.e205ee6fb5bbd720d13beb82e236c8ce.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmingot said:

Are BA still going to be flying those ropey old 777's to BKK or have they finally consigned those to the desert ?

They were in February

Telling people to read & make sure they understand what they're buying before paying for it is always good advice

I fly with Emirates, and they have 4 different economy fares types as well. The cheapest has just 15kg check-in luggage included, which was reduced from the standard 30kg a couple of years ago. I would bet that that has caught a lot of people out, who didn't bother checking before buying

• Like 2

I think a lot of carriers are looking at unbundled fares. Might become commonplace as competition will be fierce.

Definitely pay to have a very close look at booking details for any airline.

• Like 2

There is an economy brand in Australia, Tiger Air.  I've never flown them, but I've felt sorry for many who have.  The standard domestic check in for other brands is 30 minutes, Tiger was 45 minutes.  Would always see some poor bugger at the airport in tears cause they presumed it was 30.

I tried Air Asia once.  Looked like a good deal, and I guess if your budget is very tight then you will wear it.  But, there is literally nothing included.  Not a pillow, not a blanket, nothing.   I had to put a coin on the toilet door to take a piss.  Only joking, I pissed in my water bottle and left it in the seat pocket.