IGNORED

Reef Cantina closed

Bummer.  I was going to head over to Pattaya to Foodland in about a week.  I figured I'd get my Mexican fix at the nearby Reef Cantina, looked it up on google maps to make sure I had the location right and it's marked "Permanently Closed."

I tried Taco House last time I was in that area, excellent but the road construction makes me want to give it a miss for 2-3 months.  Taco Taco looks like its in the area but I'm not sure about parking.

20 minutes ago, tko said:

Bummer.  I was going to head over to Pattaya to Foodland in about a week.  I figured I'd get my Mexican fix at the nearby Reef Cantina, looked it up on google maps to make sure I had the location right and it's marked "Permanently Closed."

I tried Taco House last time I was in that area, excellent but the road construction makes me want to give it a miss for 2-3 months.  Taco Taco looks like its in the area but I'm not sure about parking.

According to their Facebook they are relocating. https://www.facebook.com/thereefcantina/posts/425290078875581

Edited by Abracadabra

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Mike's Mexican on Theppraya soi 5 is open, was in there recently. More than decent and I have alreays enjoyed their burrito/taco combo plate. The Margaritas and half bad either.

1 hour ago, Abracadabra said:

According to their Facebook they are relocating. https://www.facebook.com/thereefcantina/posts/425290078875581

Thanks.  I don't drive into central Pattaya. Foodland is about as far as I go.  I'll also go into Jomtien side.  I'll wait to see where they're relocating to.  Though traffic isn't near as bad as it used to be, so maybe I'll expand my range.

51 minutes ago, kimternet said:

Mike's Mexican on Theppraya soi 5 is open, was in there recently. More than decent and I have alreays enjoyed their burrito/taco combo plate. The Margaritas and half bad either.

I had a very iffy experience my one visit there.  Some items were good but the beef in my wife's and my dishes was entirely unseasoned.  I did a report on it in this forum, might have been a couple years ago.  You're right about the Margaritas, unfortunately I had to drive back to Rayong so only had one.  I wonder if they can bag those.

They just reopened at new site, so I hope there is just a mix up.

I just sent them a message to see if they are closed permanently or if that is a mix up with old site.

20 hours ago, tko said:

Motorbike parking is acceptable at Taco Taco, automobile not so much. You might be able to find a spot over on Pattaya Klang and walk in the 100 m or so.

Oh, if you are in town they have a very reliable Grab service.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Motorbike parking is acceptable at Taco Taco, automobile not so much. You might be able to find a spot over on Pattaya Klang and walk in the 100 m or so.

Oh, if you are in town they have a very reliable Grab service.

Just a short shopping run I'm afraid, then we have to get back to pick up the kids from school.  From streetview it looks like there's some curbside parking on klang, I didn't see any lots.  I might take a look.

On 04/12/2020 at 21:09, Abracadabra said:

Had a great lunch there a week and a half ago and that what the two waitresses told me and the Missus.    She said come the next Monday they would be at an as yet undetermined new location.     Didn't seem like it was the best of plans

22 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

They just reopened at new site, so I hope there is just a mix up.

I just sent them a message to see if they are closed permanently or if that is a mix up with old site.

They responded:

Hi!  We are permanently closed at Welcome Town moving to the new location under the same name - “The Reef Cantina.” The reopening and new location will be on our Facebook in the future. 

5 hours ago, tko said:

Just a short shopping run I'm afraid, then we have to get back to pick up the kids from school.  From streetview it looks like there's some curbside parking on klang, I didn't see any lots.  I might take a look.

For what it is worth, IMO, Taco Taco is the only true Mexican Restaurant in the Pattaya area. Everything else is Tex-Mex, which many like, but I prefer Mexican food. I am an old time Baja runner with roots on the South Side of Chicago. 

12 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

For what it is worth, IMO, Taco Taco is the only true Mexican Restaurant in the Pattaya area. Everything else is Tex-Mex, which many like, but I prefer Mexican food. I am an old time Baja runner with roots on the South Side of Chicago. 

South east Texas here, so Tex-Mex is fine with me, though I enjoy the stuff farther south, too.

On 06/12/2020 at 14:19, tko said:

South east Texas here, so Tex-Mex is fine with me, though I enjoy the stuff farther south, too.

I can highly recommend Beefeater Buffet at weekends, outstanding value at 300B.

However, defiantly not authentic Mexican food, just what I would assume to be TexMex.

9 hours ago, jimboh said:

I can highly recommend Beefeater Buffet at weekends, outstanding value at 300B.

However, defiantly not authentic Mexican food, just what I would assume to be TexMex.

I've had that buffet a couple times.  It's not Tex-Mex, its just various items that use Mexican style spices.  Taco House does good Tex-Mex, and the Reef Cantina was more Cali-Mex.  I'm good with all the types of Mexican.