IGNORED

Hotel baraquda mcgallery hotel Pattaya-review

Emrah

I stayed here twice, the last time being in 2018. It is quite good value, but it never really moved me whilst I was there. Overall, the place seemed very dark and shaded. Most of the balconies get little or no sun and if you want to sunbathe around the pool, you might get a couple of good hours only, and be prepared to move location several times as the sun moves over quickly with high buildings on both sides.

My biggest disappointment however was the 'open plan' bathroom concept, which sadly a lot of hotels are following. They pitch is as trendy, but we all know it's just a cheap, cynical attempt to cram in more hotel rooms by squeezing the bathrooom in the middle of the typical bedroom space. Several girls I brought back were also very uncomfortable that they had no real privacy when showering, preening themselves ....or rifling through my toiletries looking for 'freebies'. Ok, maybe that last one is actually a selling point for the open-plan bathroom concept in LOS.

• Like 1

Experts warn that a laptop can seriously damage your sperm....

Although in my experience, not as much as sperm can damage your laptop!

• 2 months later...

A nine night stay Baraquda finally comes to end. I've stayed here at least 10 times since 2010, when it was branded as dusit D2, and for me it's my "go to" hotel in Pattaya. I still really like the location, when everything you need is within a 5 minutes walk at the most, although it has changed due to covid. Many shops had to close and in both Soi Post Office and Soi Yamoto the closed massage shops were replaced by bars (which doesn't suit me at all).

But the main selling point for me of Baraquda hasn't changed at all: the staff is still flat out amazing. Friendly, helpful, always smiling always willing to chat with you and if I really needed help they all went the extramile to save my ass, no matter if it's the front desk girls, the security guys or the room maids, hospitality stands all above everything else ... at least it seems so to me 

• Good occupancy, but you don't see the other guests that much, some farangs, some Koreans, some Indians, mostly single males and couples, very few families
  • Booked my rooms pre opening though I got a very competitive rate of 1200 THB w/o breakfast
  • Furniture was already old and outworn 3 years ago and it definately needs some refurbishment, but everything stills works fine
  • Very comfortable bed and mattress, good linen
  • Air condition is a bit noisy and regulation of the temperature is tricky
  • imho one of the if not the most guest friendly hotels in Pattaya, you can bring them all, beach road girls, bar girls, ladyboys, one or two, no one blinks an eye ... they just smile. Guest has to drop ID at front desk and they will call you when the guest leaves and ask if everything is ok
  • When you pick a girl from ThaiFriendly.com they will send her up, you don't need to get to the lobby to pick her up

Can't praise this hotel enough and for sure can recommend it 😉

IMG_20220723_200912.jpg

IMG_20220723_184825_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_184833_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_184846_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_200319_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_200327_HDR.jpg

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

^ Thanks for that, if you want a threesome, is there an extra charge for the second guest? I got the impression there nay be recently. 

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

1 minute ago, Bawdy said:

^ Thanks for that, if you want a threesome, is there an extra charge for the second guest? I got the impression there nay be recently. 

I had two guests in my room at the same time last month and there was no drama or extra fees involved. 

I agree that the staff at Baraquda is excellent. My suite price was a bit spendy to me, but the one week stay was outstanding. If I stay again I'll have to try one of the more regular rooms. As nice as the jacuzzi was, it didn't get nearly enough use. 

11 hours ago, Bawdy said:

Didn't have 2 girls on this stay, but in the past did a couple of times. Never ever had problems at the front desk, never ever had to pay an additional joiner fee for the 2nd girl.

Please keep in mind that everything I write is based on my own experiences, my personal preferences and my expectations. YMMV!

There's nothing wrong about being cheap ... but being cheap isn't being smart ... never was, never will be ... it's just cheap

A lot of recent reviews complain about the state of the jacuzzis and beds (worn out, looking old).

Location seems to be perfect, real life pictures don't look that bad. And the rooms definitely have a very.... unique layout. I've never seen anything like this in any other hotel. I plan to stay there my next trip.

19 hours ago, Zauberfee said:

A nine night stay Baraquda finally comes to end. I've stayed here at least 10 times since 2010, when it was branded as dusit D2, and for me it's my "go to" hotel in Pattaya. I still really like the location, when everything you need is within a 5 minutes walk at the most, although it has changed due to covid. Many shops had to close and in both Soi Post Office and Soi Yamoto the closed massage shops were replaced by bars (which doesn't suit me at all).

But the main selling point for me of Baraquda hasn't changed at all: the staff is still flat out amazing. Friendly, helpful, always smiling always willing to chat with you and if I really needed help they all went the extramile to save my ass, no matter if it's the front desk girls, the security guys or the room maids, hospitality stands all above everything else ... at least it seems so to me 

• Good occupancy, but you don't see the other guests that much, some farangs, some Koreans, some Indians, mostly single males and couples, very few families
  • Booked my rooms pre opening though I got a very competitive rate of 1200 THB w/o breakfast
  • Furniture was already old and outworn 3 years ago and it definately needs some refurbishment, but everything stills works fine
  • Very comfortable bed and mattress, good linen
  • Air condition is a bit noisy and regulation of the temperature is tricky
  • imho one of the if not the most guest friendly hotels in Pattaya, you can bring them all, beach road girls, bar girls, ladyboys, one or two, no one blinks an eye ... they just smile. Guest has to drop ID at front desk and they will call you when the guest leaves and ask if everything is ok
  • When you pick a girl from ThaiFriendly.com they will send her up, you don't need to get to the lobby to pick her up

Can't praise this hotel enough and for sure can recommend it 😉

IMG_20220723_200912.jpg

IMG_20220723_184825_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_184833_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_184846_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_200319_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220723_200327_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the update Zauberfee,

I stayed there myself a few years ago now, your review is accurate, unfortunately your mention of old and outworn furniture isn't very appealing so I'll hold off returning until they spruce things up a little. I did absolutely love the hotel's location though.

2 hours ago, xaxoka said:

A lot of recent reviews complain about the state of the jacuzzis and beds (worn out, looking old).

I was in the one bedroom jacuzzi suite last month. For the room I was in, I'd not agree with either of those characterizations. I didn't strip the sheets to see the mattress, but the bed was quite comfortable, and I didn't see any wear problems with the custom frame of the bed. I also didn't notice any faults with the in-room jacuzzi. And unlike the balcony bathtub at The Blackwoods, at Baraquda the tub stopper actually worked. 🙂 

Stayed there a lot during COVID and never noticed any worn down furniture or funny smells etc.

it’s absolutely not a ***** hotel, but it’s a very, very good 4 star. 
ignore the moaners, it’s a great location and superb value for money 

1 hour ago, Sharkey said:

... unfortunately your mention of old and outworn furniture isn't very appealing so I'll hold off returning until they spruce things up a little.

it's literally the same furniture today like 12 years ago when I stayed there for first time, for me that's outworn.

But I agree with Garzan that everything still works fine. the bed is still confortable and the linen are ok.

if you take s closer look on the mattress you will see that father time has definitely taken his toll on it 😉

it's not not by any mean a new hotel and doesn't feel like it ... it's like a hot MILF who was a real firecracker 15 years ago 😁😁

But it didn't take anything for me from having a great and pleasant stay.

If you wait for refurbishment you will probably wait longtime ...

51 minutes ago, Zauberfee said:

it's literally the same furniture today like 12 years ago when I stayed there for first time, for me that's outworn.

But I agree with Garzan that everything still works fine. the bed is still confortable and the linen are ok.

I'm with Zauberfee on this, I stayed last month and my room on the third floor was tired, with multiple chips in the furniture and the small sofa didn't look particularly clean.

The plug points behind the desk were also an absolute pain to use with a foreign plug adapter and I thought the TV was too small. Also if you stay at the far end, the noise from the roadworks on Soi 15 are distracting in the day. My stay in a room just down the road at Page 10 gave far better value IMHO, especially as the prices have shot up since 3 months ago.

If you have points to use or just really like the hotel, then go for it, but I think there are better value hotels in the vicinity now

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

1 hour ago, Zauberfee said:

Yes, I have the advantage that I've never stayed there before last month. I typically book a new to me hotel each visit. But I can well believe the design/theme of the hotel hasn't been changed from when it was built. 

2 hours ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Stayed there a lot during COVID and never noticed any worn down furniture or funny smells etc.

it’s absolutely not a ***** hotel, but it’s a very, very good 4 star. 
ignore the moaners, it’s a great location and superb value for money 

That's correct it's not a 5* job, but has been touted as 5* countless times and still is by Accor.

https://all.accor.com/hotel/8891/index.en.shtml

1 hour ago, Zauberfee said:

if you take s closer look on the mattress you will see that father time has definitely taken his toll on it 😉

it's not not by any mean a new hotel and doesn't feel like it ... it's like a hot MILF who was a real firecracker 15 years ago 😁😁

But it didn't take anything for me from having a great and pleasant stay.

If you wait for refurbishment you will probably wait longtime ...

Yes probably would wait quite some time for a refurbishment and at the same time I would have thought a major company like Accor would spend a few euro's on the bloody place.

One thing that should be mentioned even if it's "temporary" is the construction work happening around Buakhao and 2nd road. 

This means even experienced drivers might have issues as they have to take alternative routes. Not so good if you like being dropped off at your hotel door instead of being dropped off nearby - or dislike the sound of construction work. 

Breakfast buffet is a bit small and limited but what is there is decent quality - having crispy bacon was enough for me. The kitchen staff were great - there was one cute server named Toffee I tipped every service. 

Great location - TT money exchange literally across the road, walking distance to Buakhao, Soi 11 and Baht Buses. At the Avenue next door can get cheap Thai food and convenient to see a movie. 

Rooms could definitely use some renovating - a 5 star hotel it ain't. I noticed some of the balconies are triangle shaped while others rectangle shaped - will ask for rectangle shaped balcony next time. If it's within your budget and available, definitely get the suite as they're in better condition. 

I found room service staff hit and miss but ok; room was always clean when I returned. Some features not so functional like sink faucet being really close to the sink and shower pressure a bit low.

When trying to redeem Accor points on check in they said yes I'm eligible to do so but took them 3 days to do so due to a system error. 

However the biggest issue I had with the hotel was staff often not calling the room before giving the girls back their ID (50/50) or reception not being attended at all at night - this is a serious safety issue which is the main reason I'll consider staying elsewhere on my next trip to Pattaya.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobson VaGene said:

This means even experienced drivers might have issues as they have to take alternative routes. Not so good if you like being dropped off at your hotel door instead of being dropped off nearby - or dislike the sound of construction work. 

I drove down to Pattaya so Soi 15 being closed was an issue for me. Entry and exit is from Second Road, and while there is a loop driveway on Second Road for accessing the lobby for drop-off, if you're going to park there is a single car wide alley that you have to use to enter and to exit the car parking area at the Soi 15 end of the hotel

1 hour ago, Bobson VaGene said:

Breakfast buffet is a bit small and limited but what is there is decent quality - having crispy bacon was enough for me. The kitchen staff were great - there was one cute server named Toffee I tipped every service. 

For me, I took a look at the Agoda price to include breakfast and opted to have my breakfasts at Robinhood in The Avenue. Normally Robinhood seems spendy but tasty to me, but contrasting the hotel buffet cost, it was downright cheap--and tasty. I only had dinner at Robinhood twice, but I was there every morning for breakfast. Fortunately Robinhood opens quite early for breakfast. 

Here is a recent review of Baraquda.

LINK

If you want to see the review on Center Point Bangkok at Terminal 21 watch the entire video

On 25/07/2022 at 00:41, Garzan said:

I drove down to Pattaya so Soi 15 being closed was an issue for me. Entry and exit is from Second Road, and while there is a loop driveway on Second Road for accessing the lobby for drop-off, if you're going to park there is a single car wide alley that you have to use to enter and to exit the car parking area at the Soi 15 end of the hotel

For me, I took a look at the Agoda price to include breakfast and opted to have my breakfasts at Robinhood in The Avenue. Normally Robinhood seems spendy but tasty to me, but contrasting the hotel buffet cost, it was downright cheap--and tasty. I only had dinner at Robinhood twice, but I was there every morning for breakfast. Fortunately Robinhood opens quite early for breakfast. 

I'm an early riser and dropped into the Baraquda buffet 2-3 times a day & I booked hotel direct so earnt both Accor points And Qantas points by spending more at the hotel.

Was worth spending more for hotel breakfast for the points alone - I currently have enough Qantas points for a One World RTW in Economy but I want to do this in Business class so every point counts. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up for UK based travellers. I'm staying for 7 nights in a baraquda suite at the end of October. It was £581 for the 7 nights including breakfast for 2 which was quite a bit cheaper than Agoda and a hell of a lot cheaper than the ALL app. https://www.stayforlong.co.uk is the company I booked with. Hopefully the deal is still available. The suites for my dates are sold out on all sites including this one, but it may help on your dates.

9 minutes ago, Big Fat Besty said:

It was £581 for the 7 nights including breakfast for 2 which was quite a bit cheaper than Agoda

I recently stayed there in a suite for a week, based on one of your earlier reviews on not the suite. 🙂 For my booking I went without breakfast. With Robinhood Tavern being just immediately north of Baraquda, I thought walking two minutes got me a better tasting breakfast for less cost--and RHT is not usually known for 'less cost'. 

Anyway, I quite enjoyed my stay there so thank you for the review. I'm a butterfly as far as hotels go, so while I'm not sure when Baraquda will come back in my rotation, I'm sure I will equally enjoy it when it does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barracuda one of my favs hotels but because 20+ policy i opted out and booked a condo.