IGNORED

Road Trip - Jomtien to Phuket by car and back

ChiFlyer

I stayed at the Sheraton in HH and really enjoyed it.

Good location too. Only issue was the beach in front was really dirty then...guessing it will be much better now.

A friend was in HH and went to the local vineyard and had a lovely time. Not cheap but the food and ambiance was top notch.

Enjoy your trip.

7 hours ago, article22 said:

Good location too. Only issue was the beach in front was really dirty then...guessing it will be much better now.

We walked over to the Sheraton to have dinner on our last night. It was dusk, but the beach seemed fine to me.

• Like 2

Day 2 - Hua Hin to Ranong (400 kms 6.5 hours).

We decided to overnight in Ranong on the way to Phuket. The route on Rt 4 is a tale of two very different segments. The first half to Chomphon is easy money once you clear Hua Hin, which doesn't take that long. The King was coming into the city from the opposite direction so that caused a backup in that direction. It did not affect us. Quite the procession for the King's caravan, as one would imagine. The second half going to Ranong becomes increasingly winding with elevation changes. About 25 kms outside of Ranong it becomes a little dangerous with unfinished construction. There were no backups, but one needs to go very easy for about 15 kms. Our friends had advised us to consider avoiding this section, but that would have added over an hour to our travel time and Google Maps indicated that it was ok. Like I said, no reason not to do it at this time, but slow it down considerably at the indicated mileage markers.

Ranong does not have much to offer in the way of hotels or Farang restaurants. We were only here for one night each way, so I am certainly no expert on the topic. There are some hot springs and spas just outside of town. My friend's Thai wife recommended these, but we were a little too beat from the drive so we took it easy.

We stayed at the Numsai Kaosuay Resort, which was nice enough.

https://www.numsaikhaosuay.com/

The grounds were nicely maintained, but the rooms were a little spartan at 2000 a night. I upgraded to a small suite on the return for an extra 1000. Much nicer, but a little pricey for what one was getting. Breakfast was included. The other hotels that we looked at were no better price or accommodations wise. My friend's wife (who grew up in Ranong) suggested the Blue Sky for a future visit.

Here are a few pics from the Numsai Khaosuay.

1736133785_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-C.thumb.jpg.7eeb29c7d7f78fd642400728ef9e085d.jpg

798844778_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-A.thumb.jpg.bafeb592ba7513c74e0f0204955b518d.jpg

334413303_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-B.thumb.jpg.c782e5ccd07f95e0cfa2a9effee29a80.jpg

We dined at the Farm House Restaurant, which was ok.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Thanks for the report so far. I'm not planning a similar trip in the near future but I did learn something from your report. I didn't know that there's a bridge (?) crossing from the mainland to Phuket... or is there?

• Haha 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

23 hours ago, Macawber said:

Thanks for the report so far. I'm not planning a similar trip in the near future but I did learn something from your report. I didn't know that there's a bridge (?) crossing from the mainland to Phuket... or is there?

Yes there is a bridge that connects the island to the mainland. No tolls or anything like that, but you do go through a checkpoint as you enter Phuket. They were checking temps the day we went through. The checkpoint is no big deal. It took us about 10 minutes to get through.

Also, I did not mention it but there are occasional police checks on the highways once you get South of Hua Hin. Not a big deal either. They take one look at my Farang ass in a small car and wave me through. I suspect they are looking for larger vehicles that might harbor illegal aliens or drugs.

Here is another Kata Beach pic meant to bring a smile to the PA Crowd.

617278851_KataBeach-D.thumb.JPG.6bcfa74681c0e10a0e28bcf300300e9c.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 16:23, ChiFlyer said:

The Evening of Day 3 through Day 5 - Part 2 - Checking out Phuket

Our friends went all out in showing us around town to take in the sights. We took a pass on the Big Buddha, as I had seen several before. Some notable sights in no particular order were:

Cape Promthep - this is a popular foto shoot site on the Southern end of the island. We were cautioned not to return for a sunset view as this draws large crowds to the point that one has to jockey for a camera position. Still this is a nice day time visit.

1798578735_CapePromthep.thumb.JPG.1a50b89696a866cb7ab80cdee941a25a.JPG

Kata Beach - this is more toward the center of the island. We stopped at the Boathouse restaurant for lunch, which is a little pricey. We ordered some small dishes. I had the Gazpacho and it was very good. Really nice place to kick back and take in the view. The third pic of the surfing dog was fun to watch. On this particular day, a guy took his 4 dogs into the water where they took turns surfing.

87059320_KataBeach-A.thumb.JPG.fecb50e5b37f6581b67a866cd70586a5.JPG

1994804831_KataBeach-B.thumb.JPG.5e94ed80ff03f9a3104c863411b5c053.JPG

1948165661_KataBeach-C.thumb.JPG.ed22f94bffeaa4344ff56ad5afac2e92.JPG

I thought I has taken more touristy shots. They may be in process from Line threads that I have not fully checked out. I will add as I find them.

Really the best views were from my friend's condo in Panwa near sunset as we had a glass of wine before dinner.

315673991_Phuket-A.thumb.JPG.4437cbe75f6c10928457371f4e2b9db3.JPG

1151194883_Phuket-B.thumb.JPG.5daad8fa43117302832498043c5c2d3b.JPG

1738486771_Phuket-C.thumb.JPG.750e8999914647d2d2b28aee93015cd5.JPG

Both my friend and the GF are camera bugs, so many of these shots are theirs. This last one he sent me the day after we left. An early morning rain led to a rainbow.

208334478_Phuket-E.thumb.JPG.ccd831501bb45e1acf98b6dee53cf953.JPG

If you are lucky enough to be in Thailand, like myself, this is an excellent time to visit Phuket for the natural beauty. If you are more interested in Patong, you probably want to wait.

I consider myself to be very lucky to be here in Thailand at this time. I would like to take credit for the brilliance that got my here, but it was ALL dumb luck. Better than being smart I guess. :)

I will be wrapping this up tomorrow with the return to Pattaya. That should be a relatively short post in that it is primarily a rewind. There will be some additional info about the Hua Hin area.

Beautiful pictures. Could use them as desktop wallpaper.

• 3 months later...

Is there any of the National parks worth stopping at on that route? Am planning on driving to Krabi soon.

10 hours ago, jimboh said:

Is there any of the National parks worth stopping at on that route? Am planning on driving to Krabi soon.

I will ask my friends who live in Phuket. She is Thai and grew up in Ranong. more later.

Also we did the route we did because I had decided to overnight in Ranong. Others tell me that if you want to make it a 2 day trip, it is better to overnight in Chumphon and continue of Rt. 4. The road going into Ranong gets pretty rough in places.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I will ask my friends who live in Phuket. She is Thai and grew up in Ranong. more later.

Also we did the route we did because I had decided to overnight in Ranong. Others tell me that if you want to make it a 2 day trip, it is better to overnight in Chumphon and continue of Rt. 4. The road going into Ranong gets pretty rough in places.

@jimboh I expressed the highway numbers incorrectly, especially for the final destination being Krabi. At Chomphon you would want to continue South on 41. Later you want to get onto 44 near Tai Rom Yen National Park.

krabi.thumb.JPG.b66e7a1c28bd7985831f5a007e0dd739.JPG

• Like 3

On 29/11/2020 at 18:35, ChiFlyer said:

The GF used to operate a hair salon in Cha Am Beach North. We ventured over and she met a few friends from the past. Everyone had an enjoyable time. Cha Am Beach North really seems to be hurting due to the drop in tourists. Tourism is most of their local economy from what I saw. Nice enough beach waters, restaurants, etc. Based on the restaurant signs I would guess that the area is very popular with Scandinavians and Germans. Despite the absence of tourists, traffic still pretty much sucked on beach road.

Well - that's about it for now.

Just read your fantastic road trip now..thank you from a year in Australian Lockdown :Bow2:

I have travelled extensively through LOS by bus and now visit from Australia to either Hua Hin or Jomtien. I meet up with either one of 2 women working in Bangkok.

I really like Hua Hin which is the right sized city for me. I like visiting Cha-am ..the Thai working man's holiday destination with endless Party Buses from the rest of LOS.

Cha-am is busy with Europeans escaping their winter. Even in the low season I like the traditional low key development of the endless Cha-am beach front. Accommodation is so cheap.. I thought at one time of renting a 2 bedroom old Townhouse 10 mins from the beach for 2 months. B2500/ month unfurnished :Laugh1:

Like my German and Dutch friends we are going crazy waiting to get back to Jomtien and Hua Hin. Unlike them we have had little  problems with covid19 in Australia and can travel extensively.. but it's not the wonders of LOS. :ThankGod1:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

@jimboh my friends have never been to Tai Rom Yen National Park. Still this one looks interesting with regard to the net reviews, although I do not think I would want to go to a bat Cave at this time. :unsure:

• Like 2