Jump to content
IGNORED

Road Trip - Jomtien to Phuket by car and back


Recommended Posts

I stayed at the Sheraton in HH and really enjoyed it.

Good location too. Only issue was the beach in front was really dirty then...guessing it will be much better now.

A friend was in HH and went to the local vineyard and had a lovely time. Not cheap but the food and ambiance was top notch.

Enjoy your trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, article22 said:

......

Good location too. Only issue was the beach in front was really dirty then...guessing it will be much better now.

......

We walked over to the Sheraton to have dinner on our last night. It was dusk, but the beach seemed fine to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 2 - Hua Hin to Ranong (400 kms 6.5 hours).

We decided to overnight in Ranong on the way to Phuket. The route on Rt 4 is a tale of two very different segments. The first half to Chomphon is easy money once you clear Hua Hin, which doesn't take that long. The King was coming into the city from the opposite direction so that caused a backup in that direction. It did not affect us. Quite the procession for the King's caravan, as one would imagine. The second half going to Ranong becomes increasingly winding with elevation changes. About 25 kms outside of Ranong it becomes a little dangerous with unfinished construction. There were no backups, but one needs to go very easy for about 15 kms. Our friends had advised us to consider avoiding this section, but that would have added over an hour to our travel time and Google Maps indicated that it was ok. Like I said, no reason not to do it at this time, but slow it down considerably at the indicated mileage markers.

Ranong does not have much to offer in the way of hotels or Farang restaurants. We were only here for one night each way, so I am certainly no expert on the topic. There are some hot springs and spas just outside of town. My friend's Thai wife recommended these, but we were a little too beat from the drive so we took it easy.

We stayed at the Numsai Kaosuay Resort, which was nice enough.

https://www.numsaikhaosuay.com/

The grounds were nicely maintained, but the rooms were a little spartan at 2000 a night. I upgraded to a small suite on the return for an extra 1000. Much nicer, but a little pricey for what one was getting. Breakfast was included. The other hotels that we looked at were no better price or accommodations wise. My friend's wife (who grew up in Ranong) suggested the Blue Sky for a future visit.

Here are a few pics from the Numsai Khaosuay.

1736133785_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-C.thumb.jpg.7eeb29c7d7f78fd642400728ef9e085d.jpg

798844778_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-A.thumb.jpg.bafeb592ba7513c74e0f0204955b518d.jpg

334413303_RanongNumsaiKhaosuay-B.thumb.jpg.c782e5ccd07f95e0cfa2a9effee29a80.jpg

We dined at the Farm House Restaurant, which was ok.

Edited by ChiFlyer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the report so far. I'm not planning a similar trip in the near future but I did learn something from your report. I didn't know that there's a bridge (?) crossing from the mainland to Phuket... or is there?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Macawber said:

Thanks for the report so far. I'm not planning a similar trip in the near future but I did learn something from your report. I didn't know that there's a bridge (?) crossing from the mainland to Phuket... or is there?

Yes there is a bridge that connects the island to the mainland. No tolls or anything like that, but you do go through a checkpoint as you enter Phuket. They were checking temps the day we went through. The checkpoint is no big deal. It took us about 10 minutes to get through.

Also, I did not mention it but there are occasional police checks on the highways once you get South of Hua Hin. Not a big deal either. They take one look at my Farang ass in a small car and wave me through. I suspect they are looking for larger vehicles that might harbor illegal aliens or drugs.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Evening of Day 3 through Day 5 - Checking out Phuket

This is going to read like a family vacation travelog. Our friends showed us around Phuket for a few days checking out the sites and a bunch of restaurants. I can say for those of you with more prurient interests that al lot of bars and MPs are closed due to the pandemic. At the same time there are still many open. We did not check out Patong, which I understand to normally be ground zero.

We were very fortunate to have hosts who lived in the area and enjoyed showing us around. I would not have covered this much ground on my own.

Some restaurants for a starter.

Old Panwa is a Malaysian run breakfast place in Panwa. They have a 50 baht breakfast that is pretty good considering the price.

161050462_OldPanwa-A.thumb.JPG.06a0d7e9cfefd9b01b1b7d7f4471b36d.JPG

199214792_OldPanwa-B.thumb.JPG.d9547cd50caf2b0f4196e7d7f0294528.JPG

 

I really liked We Cafe. They have 3 places on the island. The format is similar to the now gone Wooden Box in Pattaya. You pick the items for a salad with many of the ingredients being grown on sight. There are also other items on the menu. Everything was very good.

1629710587_PhuketWeCafe-B.thumb.jpg.77d0adc7d706e6c04aa5a69b0a1f0fe4.jpg

 

For dinners in Panwa we tried both Rim lay and The Cove. Both of these are very nice reasonably priced casual restaurants with good food. Both are both struggling to get through the current economic crisis.

Rim Lay - sorry forgot to take food pics - but the Chicken Panang was very good.

1747936933_Phuket-RimLayC.thumb.JPG.054f8d76ff6a9b971a24d659e8d34fd6.JPG

 

The Cove - I really liked this place

1438181273_PhuketCove-1.thumb.JPG.52d91f688fadb1a66c0bca6c4130f491.JPG

 

296018063_PhuketCove-A.thumb.jpg.20988f4cd12c2f6b198cc993a21bb2f6.jpg

 

1027982527_PhuketCove-B.thumb.jpg.b35330246cac2334acfb105a9b165534.jpg

 

160200818_PhuketCove-C.thumb.jpg.4cc94f28d4ab78c4be5f342617108375.jpg

 

1260068862_PhuketCove-D.thumb.jpg.4a30f0138c0560b27083ddef686a4fb2.jpg

This post is getting rather long. I will continue with the sight seeing in a follow up.

 

Edited by ChiFlyer
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Evening of Day 3 through Day 5 - Part 2 - Checking out Phuket

Our friends went all out in showing us around town to take in the sights. We took a pass on the Big Buddha, as I had seen several before. Some notable sights in no particular order were:

Cape Promthep - this is a popular foto shoot site on the Southern end of the island. We were cautioned not to return for a sunset view as this draws large crowds to the point that one has to jockey for a camera position. Still this is a nice day time visit.

1798578735_CapePromthep.thumb.JPG.1a50b89696a866cb7ab80cdee941a25a.JPG

 

Kata Beach - this is more toward the center of the island. We stopped at the Boathouse restaurant for lunch, which is a little pricey. We ordered some small dishes. I had the Gazpacho and it was very good. Really nice place to kick back and take in the view. The third pic of the surfing dog was fun to watch. On this particular day, a guy took his 4 dogs into the water where they took turns surfing.

 

87059320_KataBeach-A.thumb.JPG.fecb50e5b37f6581b67a866cd70586a5.JPG

 

1994804831_KataBeach-B.thumb.JPG.5e94ed80ff03f9a3104c863411b5c053.JPG

 

1948165661_KataBeach-C.thumb.JPG.ed22f94bffeaa4344ff56ad5afac2e92.JPG

 

I thought I has taken more touristy shots. They may be in process from Line threads that I have not fully checked out. I will add as I find them.

Really the best views were from my friend's condo in Panwa near sunset as we had a glass of wine before dinner.

315673991_Phuket-A.thumb.JPG.4437cbe75f6c10928457371f4e2b9db3.JPG

 

1151194883_Phuket-B.thumb.JPG.5daad8fa43117302832498043c5c2d3b.JPG

 

1738486771_Phuket-C.thumb.JPG.750e8999914647d2d2b28aee93015cd5.JPG

 

Both my friend and the GF are camera bugs, so many of these shots are theirs. This last one he sent me the day after we left. An early morning rain led to a rainbow.

208334478_Phuket-E.thumb.JPG.ccd831501bb45e1acf98b6dee53cf953.JPG

 

If you are lucky enough to be in Thailand, like myself, this is an excellent time to visit Phuket for the natural beauty. If you are more interested in Patong, you probably want to wait.

I consider myself to be very lucky to be here in Thailand at this time. I would like to take credit for the brilliance that got my here, but it was ALL dumb luck. Better than being smart I guess. :)

I will be wrapping this up tomorrow with the return to Pattaya. That should be a relatively short post in that it is primarily a rewind. There will be some additional info about the Hua Hin area.

 

 

Edited by ChiFlyer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Days 6 to 9 - back to Pattaya with a layover in Hua Hin.

The trip back was unremarkable except for a two night stay in Hua Hin. We stayed at the Palayana once again, which is a very good hotel at about 2000 a night. It is next door to the Sheraton where I could use Marriott points, so I may give that a try on a subsequent visit. We walked over to the Sheraton for dinner on our last night and they do indeed have a nicer pool. Here are the dinner pics at the Sheraton.

372905158_Sheraton-A.thumb.jpg.950aa774001d2a1718af1319dc0e07f2.jpg

 

834566728_Sheraton-D.thumb.jpg.7e78f1fd8488d601ebc8fdf06e6e4d30.jpg

 

1397783913_Sheraton-E.thumb.jpg.7bc72f9037042c9ff1f96e6d41e24ac3.jpg

 

An interesting thing about the Palayana is that they have very nicely maintained outdoor foliage. There are a number of a certain kind of tree that draws hundreds of birds at twilight. The little buggers put up quite the racket but that only lasts an hour.

The GF used to operate a hair salon in Cha Am Beach North. We ventured over and she met a few friends from the past. Everyone had an enjoyable time. Cha Am Beach North really seems to be hurting due to the drop in tourists. Tourism is most of their local economy from what I saw. Nice enough beach waters, restaurants, etc. Based on the restaurant signs I would guess that the area is very popular with Scandinavians and Germans. Despite the absence of tourists, traffic still pretty much sucked on beach road.

Well - that's about it for now.

 

Edited by ChiFlyer
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 16:23, ChiFlyer said:

The Evening of Day 3 through Day 5 - Part 2 - Checking out Phuket

Our friends went all out in showing us around town to take in the sights. We took a pass on the Big Buddha, as I had seen several before. Some notable sights in no particular order were:

Cape Promthep - this is a popular foto shoot site on the Southern end of the island. We were cautioned not to return for a sunset view as this draws large crowds to the point that one has to jockey for a camera position. Still this is a nice day time visit.

1798578735_CapePromthep.thumb.JPG.1a50b89696a866cb7ab80cdee941a25a.JPG

 

Kata Beach - this is more toward the center of the island. We stopped at the Boathouse restaurant for lunch, which is a little pricey. We ordered some small dishes. I had the Gazpacho and it was very good. Really nice place to kick back and take in the view. The third pic of the surfing dog was fun to watch. On this particular day, a guy took his 4 dogs into the water where they took turns surfing.

 

87059320_KataBeach-A.thumb.JPG.fecb50e5b37f6581b67a866cd70586a5.JPG

 

1994804831_KataBeach-B.thumb.JPG.5e94ed80ff03f9a3104c863411b5c053.JPG

 

1948165661_KataBeach-C.thumb.JPG.ed22f94bffeaa4344ff56ad5afac2e92.JPG

 

I thought I has taken more touristy shots. They may be in process from Line threads that I have not fully checked out. I will add as I find them.

Really the best views were from my friend's condo in Panwa near sunset as we had a glass of wine before dinner.

315673991_Phuket-A.thumb.JPG.4437cbe75f6c10928457371f4e2b9db3.JPG

 

1151194883_Phuket-B.thumb.JPG.5daad8fa43117302832498043c5c2d3b.JPG

 

1738486771_Phuket-C.thumb.JPG.750e8999914647d2d2b28aee93015cd5.JPG

 

Both my friend and the GF are camera bugs, so many of these shots are theirs. This last one he sent me the day after we left. An early morning rain led to a rainbow.

208334478_Phuket-E.thumb.JPG.ccd831501bb45e1acf98b6dee53cf953.JPG

 

If you are lucky enough to be in Thailand, like myself, this is an excellent time to visit Phuket for the natural beauty. If you are more interested in Patong, you probably want to wait.

I consider myself to be very lucky to be here in Thailand at this time. I would like to take credit for the brilliance that got my here, but it was ALL dumb luck. Better than being smart I guess. :)

I will be wrapping this up tomorrow with the return to Pattaya. That should be a relatively short post in that it is primarily a rewind. There will be some additional info about the Hua Hin area.

 

 

Beautiful pictures. Could use them as desktop wallpaper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.