Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Route 66 Diner

Rick Blaine

A friend sent me a link to the diner yesterday and it was completely new to me.      I've passed that way many times but never noticed the place.

Anyone tried it and care  to offer thoughts?

A photo of it here:

https://www.alwayspattaya.com/event/route-66-diner-opening/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=2cf2f2d0fe0bef349c1a6afb492362e8c08db3c3-1604895383-0-AZcF_27fN4wEyGD2IjfdxHcO21hBiOPi8Uz7nyzGDIXaAmDEi29xM5_bYQs_cSY_L6fDtR8PX2trFW8hw9pNJyyOhU4Wdeez_XBgsc9IDQPF1y92DNQOGeXIPv8QhAGy_6fsO3SBjuRil3P7G6Zhp1_67mfLhUhJOBJH1dpLP5-ZTNKloJKr8vgc3agjKjeRhlLgojRLx7QlRguu1Z0OjarjuR_a7RwuHpxTz1sE6-K6em5WiPBNitj2onEujhYINA3u2xULdZfAmlfW4cXaK7ORQnl6nOavMj0n_hFlwR5nQCZUkonYoOmgKQooE0ZxIQ

And a  fairly long youtube video here:

I certainly wish the owner (s) success and will give the resto a try.    

• Like 2

It is in the middle of nowhere isnt it. The youtuber leaving the restaurant had to go thru a shit load of road works to get back to pattaya.

I wish the owner all the best, he must have huge balls spending that sort of money 30 minutes out of pattaya central when there are literally thousands of restaurants in pattaya central

• Like 2

12 Pints in Know it all

I’m sure a place like that would be a big success on Second Road or Boukhou.  

Edited by Arnie85
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

It is in the middle of nowhere isnt it. The youtuber leaving the restaurant had to go thru a shit load of road works to get back to pattaya.

I wish the owner all the best, he must have huge balls spending that sort of money 30 minutes out of pattaya central when there are literally thousands of restaurants in pattaya central

15 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

The roadworks on Siam Country Club are temporary but yes they've caused big problems to other businesses up there such as Outback.
There is an easy avoid round to Route 66 which a YouTuberer worth his salt should have known about.  :rolleyes:

About location, it is part of the Off Road business (good location) set up by the owner/s of Dollhouse et al and planned well before Covid-19 struck.......... but yes there is a lot of restaurant competition over there.

image.thumb.png.5a1628fd68cf0b88d158ee2b76e84e14.png

Edited by Edge
  • Like 3

Thread moved to appropriate part of the forum.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

20 hours ago, Arnie85 said:

Depending on the prices.

• Thanks 1

went last evening... food was good, service was slow, but I am assuming that will improve over time/they just recently opened... VERY nicely designed/pretty US style diner... nice touches like menus and bill holder that lights up... food was quite good - we (3 adults and a child) had pork chops, philly cheese steak sandwich (came out late, was not hot, probably got lost in the shuffle), jalapeño poppers, stuffed baked potato skins, chicken nuggets/french fries (off of child's menu), 2 beers (one Lao dark), 2 sodas - bill was about 1,200 THB... the drive to the restaurant was about the same distance for me as to go to downtown Pattaya (I live in East Pattaya), and unfortunately we hit an area where they were doing major road construction, VERY rough going/dusty/hazards (rebar steel sticking out at tire height in one area/would be easy to rip up a good set of tires)... the roads will be better after a few months (as will many of the other roads under repair in Pattaya)... I would go again and recommend the place... but since it is about as far away as Central Pattaya, for me, not sure I will go again soon... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

2 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Looks interesting, will check it out.

Where exactly is it located, say in relation to the Outback?

Just past the Outback, under the new highway.

image.png

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jimboh said:

Looks interesting, will check it out.

Where exactly is it located, say in relation to the Outback?

42 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

................... we hit an area where they were doing major road construction, VERY rough going/dusty/hazards (rebar steel sticking out at tire height in one area/would be easy to rip up a good set of tires)... the roads will be better after a few months (as will many of the other roads under repair in Pattaya)... I would go again and recommend the place... but since it is about as far away as Central Pattaya, for me, not sure I will go again soon... 

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just past the Outback, under the new highway.

image.png

If coming from Pattaya City direction, there is a lit up diversion sign at which you should turn right (NOT continue to Outback) and then go round past Nongprue Police Station and come out directly at the Off Road place where Route 66 is....or possibly one turn below if you turn early through the village.
If coming round the Lake it is under the flyover before the roadworks.
If you came in from the other side of the Lake and turned left up SSC you will hit the roadworks....if you ignore the diversion sign.

2 minutes ago, Edge said:

If coming from Pattaya City direction, there is a lit up diversion sign at which you should turn right (NOT continue to Outback) and then go round past Nongprue Police Station and come out directly at the Off Road place where Route 66 is....or possibly one turn below if you turn early through the village.
If coming round the Lake it is under the flyover before the roadworks.
If you came in from the other side of the Lake and turned left up SSC you will hit the roadworks....if you ignore the diversion sign.

yeah, we saw the diversion sign on our way there, and ignored it as cars in front of us were doing (figured they knew what they were doing... WRONG assumption!!)... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I know the owner Andy for years who owns Dolhhouse a go go in Cowboy and Pattaya. He had a high end steakhouse in Patpong go under last year. I wish him the best of luck on the new place. At these tough times not many foreign owners these days would would venture on opening new establishments.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

I rode my motorbike there yesterday just to see the location. I had already eaten while watching NFL game at Retox.

I didn't enter just snapped few pictures! :) Yes there's a roundabout way with construction to get there, I just followed the detour signs and had no problems! 

I am curious and want to see what the Southern style grits will taste like.

Also want to see what the Philly Cheesesteak looks and taste like. Been disappointed with the few that I've had here . 

I want to try the Cubano sandwich, and Salisbury Steak. Maybe the Country Fried steak even though they make it with pork. 

Haven't eaten today and writing about the food and looking at the menu is making me hungry! 555 

Thanks for the snaps, Rocketboy.    Judging from what I see it looks like getting customers  from foot traffic wasn't a part of the business plan.

I certainly wish the owner(s) great success.

• 10 months later...

There is another thread about this place that focuses on the food. It describes the place as being in the Darkside.

I assume this is the same place, although the pics look a little different between the two threads. I am going tomorrow (oops today now) in the afternoon with a few friends who have been there before.

More later.

Well I finally made it over to Rt. 66 today. I had the chili-cheese dog and it was good. No match at all for a Chicago chili-cheese from Portillos, but I am not in Chicago.

7 of us went (4 farang and 3 Thai ladies). The ladies all ordered Thai food and said that it was good.

The construction was a bit of a pain, but not all that terrible.

In general, the place was pretty decent and there are not a lot of alternatives of this nature in the Pattaya area.  I was confused by the Google Map showing that it is on Rt. 7. As others well know it is under Rt. 7. Siam Country Club Road takes one to the door, but there is indeed some construction. We tried an alternative route on the way back and had a bit of an adventure.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, jimboh said:

Must say, I do like this place, brisket good, home made hash browns also good. Never had a poor meal there.

Have you tried the BBQ? I heard they have smokers outside behind the place and that the BBQ menu is relatively new.

Edited by ChiFlyer

8 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Well I finally made it over to Rt. 66 today. I had the chili-cheese dog and it was good. No match at all for a Chicago chili-cheese from Portillos, but I am not in Chicago.

7 of us went (4 farang and 3 Thai ladies). The ladies all ordered Thai food and said that it was good.

The construction was a bit of a pain, but not all that terrible.

In general, the place was pretty decent and there are not a lot of alternatives of this nature in the Pattaya area.  I was confused by the Google Map showing that it is on Rt. 7. As others well know it is under Rt. 7. Siam Country Club Road takes one to the door, but there is indeed some construction. We tried an alternative route on the way back and had a bit of an adventure.

I have been here a few times now......I rate their food very very good....I have been very happy with everything I have ordered......Hey....If their food was not top notch they would have been TOAST long ago, because the location is far from Pattaya, and they opened right at the start of Covid...The food sold itself....

• Like 3

If you ever plan to motor west,
Travel my way, take the highway that is best.
Get your kicks on route sixty-six.

— Nat King Cole

Retired

15 hours ago, fforest said:

I have been here a few times now......I rate their food very very good....I have been very happy with everything I have ordered......Hey....If their food was not top notch they would have been TOAST long ago, because the location is far from Pattaya, and they opened right at the start of Covid...The food sold itself....

Not looking to quibble about the place and I have only made one visit. I think it is good. I very much hesitate to say very good.

I ordered a chili-cheese dog, as I had heard several friends say that it was excellent. Sorry, but being from Chicago, I have a very high bar for this particular item. With regard to the chili-cheese dog:

• The dog itself was excellent. A very tasty frank. As good as I would get in Chicago. Loved it.
  • The Chili is bland by my standards. The Chili that I make here at home in Thailand is much better.
  • The Cheese was also a little bland. For this item I prefer a sharp cheddar and that is not what I got.
  • I really did not like the dog being topped with pico de gallo. It did not feel right.
  • The bun was decent.

Like I said, I have no other place in the Pattaya area that does any better with regard to this dish, other than my house. :)

1533651541_ChiliDog.thumb.jpg.289cbbed7702410cd69de2d0d1529a14.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

other than my house.

Which dog do you use? Struggle to find decent one in Pattaya.

Best dog I have had in Pattaya is at Cajun place Soi 5 Pratumanak, suspect it was American style although I reckon it was similar to Eastern European.  Had it in a breakfast wrap, really tasty.

9 hours ago, jimboh said:

Which dog do you use? Struggle to find decent one in Pattaya.

Best dog I have had in Pattaya is at Cajun place Soi 5 Pratumanak, suspect it was American style although I reckon it was similar to Eastern European.  Had it in a breakfast wrap, really tasty.

I do not eat them very often, but when I do I usually go with the Oscar Meyer brand at Villa Market. They are decent IMO.