IGNORED

Thai Airways advice needed.

Jack Frost

11 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

Thanks for your post & article.

If this is the case then the vouchers many people have accepted are good for nothing.

That would be my guess, not that I'd be likely to say so quite-so-bluntly, given draconian local libel-laws  ...

<snip>

The powers to be in this nation & Thai Airways should take a look at them selfs & they just might of let a lot of people down & pissed a lot of frequent tourists off.

Instead of which, IIRC they marched determinedly in the opposite-direction, and sold off 3% (?) to a government-owned/controlled pension/investment-fund, to reduce the 'official' government-stake just-below 50%, thus making TG no-longer a state-owned enterprise.

That gave a fair indication of their intentions IMO, and it would not surprise me now several months later, when they may fail to come-up with the US$ 11+ billion, which I've seen reported as the minimum-refinancing injection which is probably needed now.  Hope that I'm wrong, but  ...

My comments in-bold above  ...  sorry, I don't know how to split-quote in this editing-software. :rolleyes:

I agree completely with your view, of the damage likely done to their remaining-at-this-point good-reputation, amongst potential future customers.  I hope that I'm wrong, but  ...

Putting one-third of the existing-fleet up for a very-rushed fire-sale, in the hope of there being some new in-funds mug-punters out there, who might wish to cherry-pick their oldest/biggest grounded-airframes, on an as-is/where-is basis  ...  also not good ?

As an eternal-optimist, I think we might possibly see still-flying wholly-owned subsidiary Thai-Smile sold-off or split-off to continue flying, if they can find a purchaser ? I hope so, as I'm due to fly BKK-CNX on them in a couple-of-weeks' time.  That was a recent-purchase, gambling B1200 on their survival/operating domestically for another month, I can afford the risk/loss if it fails to pay off.

Perhaps a small regional-version of TG might yet be revived, keeping the name in-use, to save face locally ?  Meanwhile the current online-Sale of warehoused operational-supplies, and the proposed national-chain of doughnut-emporia, are not good signs of plans to return to full normal longhaul-operations, looks more like an orderly wind-up.  Sad for the previous employees, but a sign of the times, and what's to-come globally. :sad:

• 2 months later...

Latest from Business Traveller:

Thai Airways to retire A330s, A380s, and B747s

10 Feb 2021 by Samuel Chan

Thai Airways A380

Thai Airways has reportedly grounded its fleet of Boeing B747s, in addition to Airbus A330s and A380s, as part of the airline’s restructuring efforts. 

As a result, the Thai national carrier’s remaining A350, B787, and B777-300ER widebody jets will form the backbone of its fleet.

With the downsizing, Thai Airways also plans to lay off 395 pilots, bringing its cockpit crew numbers to 905, according to The Nation.

Last month, the Star Alliance member announced it would operate a skeleton international networkacross ten cities until March, owing to depressed demand and uncertainty around travel restrictions.

Following a one month extension, the financially battered airline is expected to file its final restructuring plan to Thailand’s bankruptcy court by March 2. The plan will likely see Thai Airways reduce costs by 35 per cent this year and operate a fleet of 75 or fewer aircraft. 

Additionally, Thailand’s deputy prime minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow said the restructuring could lead to privatisation of the airline, which has long been state-owned.

It currently holds liabilities of 339 billion baht (US$11.3 billion) and 299 billion baht (US$10 billion) in assets, reported the Bangkok Post.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

15 hours ago, davidge said:

It currently holds liabilities of 339 billion baht (US$11.3 billion) and 299 billion baht (US$10 billion) in assets, reported the Bangkok Post.

Call me cynical, but I wonder what they're valuing all those unsellable grounded-planes at, to include in that high value of assets ? :wink:

No sign of my £500 refund yet  ...  I think that's toast. :Hair_Out1:

• Like 3

A slight difference here, I booked with Emirates BHX/DXB/BKK in Feb 2020 through STA for Nov last year, STA went bump, and obviously I couldn`t travel in Nov, Emirates offered a voucher for 24 months from booking date. which meant, in theory till Feb 2022. So looking at a trip Nov this year, I cant see travel with any confidence by then thought I`d look for a refund.

So, with not a lot of confidence went back to Credit card company for a refund, within 5 days money refunded couldnt believe how easy it was.

5 minutes ago, ronthebrummie said:

A slight difference here, I booked with Emirates BHX/DXB/BKK in Feb 2020 through STA for Nov last year, STA went bump, and obviously I couldn`t travel in Nov, Emirates offered a voucher for 24 months from booking date. which meant, in theory till Feb 2022. So looking at a trip Nov this year, I cant see travel with any confidence by then thought I`d look for a refund.

So, with not a lot of confidence went back to Credit card company for a refund, within 5 days money refunded couldnt believe how easy it was.

I ended up doing chargeback on my Credit Card for my Oman flight last July. I got fed up being fobbed off by the agents (Southall Travel). The card weren’t quick and I had to send screenshots of emails, Twitter chats etc but they gave me the chargeback.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

TBH it beggars belief that so many don't use their normal recourse via the charge-back route

In the UK where agents/airlines thumb their collective noses at the legally imposed refund deadlines why people don't use their consumer rights and and use the small claims courts too is puzzling as judgement in their favor is virtually a given.

I could not get my money back from Pay Back section 75.

The time of 2 months had passed so I asked Thai for a travel voucher which I eventually got.

If Thai Airways do not make it & go out of business then my voucher is worth nothing but if the continue to exist then I have to December 31st 2022 to use my travel voucher.

So if Thai Airways does not make it then I will indeed lose about £1,000 but as a FF with Thai for over 27 years then for me it will be a sad day as they are my airline of choice & after more then 150 flights London to Bangkok will be hurt if they are not available.

If Thai exist then I will be happy but if not then my future flights will have to be thought out as after all these years I am used to them & love direct with no changing planes.

Thai Airways has indeed let down passengers & people like me big time but with hope I believe they will get there but will be a much reduced airline & not have certain aircraft.

They played the system & even if they make it will have lost customers.

The time it took them to reply to my claims & emails did make my cash back claim out of the time limit my card allows as part of there policy.

At the end of this Covid 19 period flying to Thailand with airlines could be very different to how it was before.

The prices in the future I think will be more expensive than  in the past.

Jack.

14 hours ago, semi-retired member said:

Call me cynical, but I wonder what they're valuing all those unsellable grounded-planes at, to include in that high value of assets ? :wink:

No sign of my £500 refund yet  ...  I think that's toast. :Hair_Out1:

Maybe you could take a 747 in lieu of payment 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chrisrs said:

Maybe you could take a 747 in lieu of payment 

Or the top-half of an A380, I always did prefer them to Jumbos, quieter & roomier.  :D

Next month March 2021  is the big date that Thai Airways is back in court.

If the Deters are happy with the package then on they push but if not serious problems as with regards them continuing.

They are in deep shit believe me.

They can con & bull shit Thai style all they want but they are 2 billion US in the shit.

This problem was pointed out to them several years back but they did not do what was required.

I am a bit stupid as I know they were in trouble due to far to many staff & pilots plus the abuse of perks by directors etc.

Europe wise they had lost there competitive edge & smooth as silk standards had been lowered.

I always thought the government would sort it out but they did not & then sold shares to distance it self from Thai Airways.

Still so far sad to me as this airline should be up there with Singapore & Cathay Pacific.

They say Thais do not like to lose face. Well this is a national disgrace & being caught with your pants down so to speak.

Looking at information from other sources it already looks like Airbus are not playing ball but Boeing is.

Good luck as I have a near 30 years history with Thai Airways & I would like to see them exist & fly me London to Bangkok in the future.

One big sad mess but my fingers are crossed, all the best in debt restructuring.

post-31229-0-80879300-1312115909.jpg

• 1 year later...

Booked an award ticket (J all the way) earlier this week using United miles for my flight US-BKK for Jan '23.   The NRT-BKK leg is operated by Thai Air and cannot select seat assignment on UA website.   There's a TG conf number in my UA record and I can input that into the TG website and pull up my record.   I cannot, however, figure out how the hell to assign myself a seat on the TG website.   

I called UA and they said they cannot assign seats.   They provided me with a number for TG but they're not staffing the phones - at any time of day for the toll free number I called from the US.   

Does anyone have a functional operating toll free number for Thai that's valid for calls originating in the US?

13 minutes ago, vivalv2001 said:

Booked an award ticket (J all the way) earlier this week using United miles for my flight US-BKK for Jan '23.

I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but to be honest if I was in your situation I would just set myself a reminder on my calendar for several months from now and try again then. I understand wanting to get the details of my trip confirmed (I do the same, especially for biz flights, and try to select my seat immediately), but I can only imagine that flight timetables between Japan and Thailand are going to change many times in the nine months between now and your flight. I'm not sure which aircraft TG operates on that route, but I'd guess it's more than likely that it'll switch between several models as well. All of which means you'd likely be changing/reconfirming your seat choice in the future anyway.

Sorry I can't be of any help regarding a functioning phone number for Thai Air. Hopefully as tourism springs back into life they'll be easier to get ahold of.

This would appear to include US contact details..

LOS ANGELES: Reservation & Ticketing

THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL (GENERAL SALES)
841 Apollo Street, Suite 334
El Segundo, CA 90245, U.S.A.

Phone: (800) 767-3598 For customers who are hearing/ speech impaired (TTY), please dial 711 on your telephone.Telephone 8 0 0 7 6 7 3 5 9 8 and 7 1 1
Fax: -Fax -
Email: [email protected]

Thanks RomaBob.   Called that exact number yesterday.   Initial recording stated the call center doesn't open until 10A Pacific Time.   When I called after 10A there was a recording stating they were not staffing the line.    Anyone had any luck reaching a TG live rep at 800-767-3598 recently?

Edited by vivalv2001

• 3 weeks later...

I arrive in Heathrow Terminal 5 from a UK domestic flight.

I am then travelling Terminal 2 Thai Airways to BKK.

Am i correct in thinking, under current rules, that i will have to present documents at the Thai check in desk.

In other words, will i have to go landside, exit Terminal 5 and enter Terminal 2 through security.

Thanks.

On 22/04/2022 at 21:20, vivalv2001 said:

Does anyone have a functional operating toll free number for Thai that's valid for calls originating in the US?

No, but I’ve had to deal with Thai Airways for airline staff travel many times and I’ve found it much easier to call the actual number in Thailand.

Their English is pretty good and I’ve found them to be more helpful than the Aussie Thai Airways staff!

+66 2-356-1111 (Press 9 for English- not toll free)

Edited by Memurtle

When I fly domestic in UK, I recall I am not airside when I exit so you should be able to just transfer to T2 and check in for your international flight.

• 4 months later...

Is there a way to explicitely select a certain booking class when you do a online booking on the Thai Air homepage?

If I choose e.g. FLEXI then automatically the booking class V gets assigned at the moment - with only 25% of the miles. But I want to book e.g. class T in order to get 75% of the miles - even when this is a little bit more expensive. How can manually select this booking class?

27 minutes ago, Orgynizer said:

Is there a way to explicitely select a certain booking class when you do a online booking on the Thai Air homepage?

If I choose e.g. FLEXI then automatically the booking class V gets assigned at the moment - with only 25% of the miles. But I want to book e.g. class T in order to get 75% of the miles - even when this is a little bit more expensive. How can manually select this booking class?

I don't think you can guarentee a booking class when you book online, but if you are only worried about miles then it does usually show options with different milage accrual.

From the UK you cannot get through on the phone and their office is shut but you can email them and I have found them quite helpful via email. Quote your Thai membership number. The email that works from the UK is [email protected] - maybe see if they can help? It's likely they might be able to book your flight for you at the same price as the online price, but you won't have to pay until you see all the info confirmed including the booking class.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

Anyone still waiting on a refund from Thai Airways?

I read on a Thai website, that anyone who made a claim before September 14, 2020, will receive their refund by October 31, 2023.