IGNORED

Thai Airways advice needed.

Jack Frost

OK, I am asking advise with regards to Thai Airways.

I have 2 tickets not used & when they stoped flying I asked for a refund as in money.

They ignored me then filed for a controlled Bankruptcy of some description in order to restructure righting of millions of pounds of debt & negotiating with all the creditors.

Now they are offering me & guys like me a credit voucher for the value of what they should have paid me when I asked for a cash refund that gives me 2 years to use.

So should I take it as its better than nothing or if I take it they could be bankrupt & not exist or restarted & have gone to the wall again.

I have given them over 6 months & it will be March 2021 before the next date at court & the about this time next year if they rise from the dead.

Dead ????? 50 million pounds in assets & all 160 Aircraft leased or rented.

Could I use any Bank or is there a system for me to get my money back as I did pay for the 2 tickets on a Visa card.

I have flew with Thai for 25 years & done hundreds of flights over the years, I know they had problems but sad for me to see this great Airline in such a mess.

I will not mention blame as that is not what I want to ask or talk about.

The money they owe me is 2 tickets in economy  Fully Flex so lets say with the cancellation charges about £1400 in total.

So if any of you guys can advice me here or help me out I would be most great full.

Jack.

Thai Airways are broke ,but will trade on forever ,My son a prepaid a ticket to BKK in December ,he finally got the refund(in full) last month ,some time back the Aussie goverment threatened another airline with loss of future landing rights if they failed to refund ,seams to have hurried things along .

IN that they are opening flights from LHR to BKK with Thai Airways I would take the voucher and plan a trip ASAP. 

You don't say if it was Visa Debit or Visa Credit card for payment

If credit card, they would be a much more solid source of refund than knocking 'cap in hand' at the door of the moribund Thai Airways

If you used a credit card you can apply for a refund from the issuer of the card.

This is what my friends have used for refund of unused tickets after the pandemic.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

I suggest you have a read through this article.  Whilst not a lawyer or banker, Martin Lewis is respected in Financial CIrcles.

The only stumbling block I can see if you do did not book directly with the airline.  There needs to be a direct relationship between Debter (you) Creditor (Card Issuer) and Seller (Airline).

Also I am assuming that the transaction was made in UK using a UK Bank/Credit Card Issuer.

I believe their debts are of the order $10 billion!! Looks very bleak.

Probably safest to assume that vouchers are worthless.

Did the airline cancel your flight ?, if yes & paid with a credit card, make a S75 claim as detailed above in John Lukes post, assuming you booked direct with the airline. Assuming your flights were over 3 months ago, its too late for a chargeback claim

If the flight did go ahead but you missed it for whatever reason, then making a claim on your travel insurance is the best way forward, assuming your travel insurance covers it of course

If you didn't use a credit card, didn't book direct with the airline or don't have travel insurance, all of which are always strongly recommended by regular travellers, then I don't know what other options are available to you, apart from taking the vouchers for a future credit

Edited by jaynewcastle

13 hours ago, regyai said:

If credit card, they would be a much more solid source of refund than knocking 'cap in hand' at the door of the moribund Thai Airways

My son booked with Expedia and paid with visa ,the link is not direct between Visa & Thai Airways .Expedia expressed there regrets and sadness for the turn of events ,but said they would refund when they recovered from TA .

Many thought we should get agro and carry on, but we felt safe ,just disappointed at the delay ,but it all ended well ,guess if u are doing it hard then u might get agro ,but fear not the only real worry for me is the Frequent Flyer points ,nothing is quaranteed there .

As for them going broke ,they are broke,but the Government has made a clear statement that they will support them ,worry not .

15 hours ago, Hamchang said:

IN that they are opening flights from LHR to BKK with Thai Airways I would take the voucher and plan a trip ASAP. 

They just cancelled my March flight BKK-LHR, which had already been deferred from September, but even although they are operating the odd overpriced repatriation-flight from LHR-BKK, they don't seem to be offering to honour existing-tickets in either direction.

So a voucher will probably be worthless, too. :wink:

I've already written the money off, in my own mind, and so can only hope to be pleasurably-surprised, in the unlikely event that they do manage to find financing, and relaunch operations.  If that happens, then I (or my family) will be extremely unlikely to ever trust them again ! :o

• Like 2

Well I saw this (but can't find corroboration in a normal media outlet) might be worth a call and book a flight if you can use it. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/thai-airways-to-resume-semi-commercial-flights-to-seven-destinations-332196

But then saw that they are selling 34 aircraft.  https://www.ifn.news/posts/thai-airways-attempts-to-sell-34-aircraft-including-all-boeing-747/

7 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Did the airline cancel your flight ?, if yes & paid with a credit card, make a S75 claim as detailed above in John Lukes post, assuming you booked direct with the airline. Assuming your flights were over 3 months ago, its too late for a chargeback claim

If the flight did go ahead but you missed it for whatever reason, then making a claim on your travel insurance is the best way forward, assuming your travel insurance covers it of course

If you didn't use a credit card, didn't book direct with the airline or don't have travel insurance, all of which are always strongly recommended by regular travellers, then I don't know what other options are available to you, apart from taking the vouchers for a future credit

If booked and paid via an agent with a credit card in UK then you can use the S75 methods as well against the travel agent if the flight was cancelled and it was not your fault.

On 06/11/2020 at 17:32, regyai said:

I paid with my Visa Credit card.

Can you tell me more about how I would get a refund in money ??

Thanks for your post.

jack

On 06/11/2020 at 19:46, john luke said:

I suggest you have a read through this article.  Whilst not a lawyer or banker, Martin Lewis is respected in Financial CIrcles.

The only stumbling block I can see if you do did not book directly with the airline.  There needs to be a direct relationship between Debter (you) Creditor (Card Issuer) and Seller (Airline).

Also I am assuming that the transaction was made in UK using a UK Bank/Credit Card Issuer.

Yes I booked them on line from thaiairways.com

One booking was made in the UK & one booking Made in Thailand but both with a Visa Credit card.

Thanks for the advice.

Jack.

7 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

I paid with my Visa Credit card.

Can you tell me more about how I would get a refund in money ??

Thanks for your post.

jack

Unless your credit card company can do it, you can't however you can change your flight dates or get a voucher valid until December 2022. You can get the voucher through their website.  It should only take a few days. 

Edited by Crushed

16 hours ago, Duvo said:

My son booked with Expedia and paid with visa ,the link is not direct between Visa & Thai Airways .Expedia expressed there regrets and sadness for the turn of events ,but said they would refund when they recovered from TA .

Many thought we should get agro and carry on, but we felt safe ,just disappointed at the delay ,but it all ended well ,guess if u are doing it hard then u might get agro ,but fear not the only real worry for me is the Frequent Flyer points ,nothing is quaranteed there .

As for them going broke ,they are broke,but the Government has made a clear statement that they will support them ,worry not .

Thanks for your info.

You say worry not the Government will support them, but they allowed this problem to happen & sold shares so they were much less of a share holding partner.

I do worry about Thai Airways they are my first love Airline & my favourite for 25 years.

Jack

9 minutes ago, Crushed said:

Unless your credit card company can do it, you can't however you can change your flight dates or get a voucher valid until December 2022. You can get the voucher through their website.  It should only take a few days. 

So your saying I have to contact my Visa Credit card Bank give them full details & ask them to try & recover the money ????

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

So your saying I have to contact my Visa Credit card Bank give them full details & ask them to try & recover the money ????

Thanks.

Yeah, Thai's website has said they aren't doing reunds for more than a few months now so that's the most likely route to get money back. I decided to make do with the voucher myself as I had three cancelled flights with them between July and September.  I'm probably better off than some if it turns into nothing as my TA flight cost was just over 20,000 baht although the flight that finally got me home from Thailand cost a little more than twice that. 

Edited by Crushed

On 06/11/2020 at 16:56, Jack Frost said:

OK, I am asking advise with regards to Thai Airways.

I have 2 tickets not used & when they stoped flying I asked for a refund as in money.

They ignored me then filed for a controlled Bankruptcy of some description in order to restructure righting of millions of pounds of debt & negotiating with all the creditors.

Now they are offering me & guys like me a credit voucher for the value of what they should have paid me when I asked for a cash refund that gives me 2 years to use.

So should I take it as its better than nothing or if I take it they could be bankrupt & not exist or restarted & have gone to the wall again.

I have given them over 6 months & it will be March 2021 before the next date at court & the about this time next year if they rise from the dead.

Dead ????? 50 million pounds in assets & all 160 Aircraft leased or rented.

Could I use any Bank or is there a system for me to get my money back as I did pay for the 2 tickets on a Visa card.

I have flew with Thai for 25 years & done hundreds of flights over the years, I know they had problems but sad for me to see this great Airline in such a mess.

I will not mention blame as that is not what I want to ask or talk about.

The money they owe me is 2 tickets in economy  Fully Flex so lets say with the cancellation charges about £1400 in total.

So if any of you guys can advice me here or help me out I would be most great full.

Jack.

This might help here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

With most cancelled flights, you're due a full refund within seven days. Most cancelled flights will fall under EU flight delay rules (which still apply this year despite Brexit, and cover all flights leaving the UK or EU as well as flights to the UK/EU on a UK/EU airline). These state you're entitled to choose between:

EITHER a refund for the flight that was cancelled.

OR an alternative flight (airlines call this re-routing) to your destination.

We've seen some airlines pushing customers towards getting a voucher instead, but you are absolutely entitled to a refund in this situation. In theory and according to the law this should also be paid in seven days, though aviation regulator the Civil Aviation Authority has acknowledged current circumstances are making it "very challenging" for airlines to sort it that quickly – and in practice, it's likely to take longer right now.

or go to your credit card and claim a refund under section 75 

Edited by T-T-T

I booked my flight through an agent with TA,  with a Halifax credit card, and successfully got a refund from my credit card, they with ask for evidence of your effort to claim a refund from airline or agent, and correspondence from them, so I just sent them all the emails from the original booking and all requests by me for a refund and all replies had from TA and the agent , it was all fairly straight forward, I would suggest calling your credit card company and tell them you wish to make a charge back or credit card despute and they will tell you what is required.

• Like 3

Not good news, for those of us who are currently owed money by TG, although hardly unexpected  ...

https://viewfromthewing.com/thai-airways-expects-to-run-out-of-cash-next-month/

"Thai Airways says it “only has enough financial reserves to last until December.”

Mate,

Go to your issuing bank's website and there should be a link for disputed transactions

Fill in the paperwork and wait... It took about 3 months for me to get my money back for for a flight I booked here in Thailand for travel to PI and onto the USA. 

Out of the $1200 fare the booking company would only give $300 or nothing if I did not cancel.... So I cancelled and went through the bank after. 

By the time it all went through I actually made money  as I paid in $US and the refund was in $AU which had tanked by the time I got it.. So eventually I had a win. 

In fact out of the $14K I had pre-booked things for my USA trip I recovered all but $200-300 all up. Thanks goodness. That has since been spent on a motorcycle and many a great night out here in sin city :D

Good luck. 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 08/11/2020 at 03:21, T-T-T said:

This might help here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-travel-help-and-your-rights/

With most cancelled flights, you're due a full refund within seven days. Most cancelled flights will fall under EU flight delay RULES (which still apply this year despite Brexit, and cover all flights leaving the UK or EU as well as flights to the UK/EU on a UK/EU airline). These state you're entitled to choose between:

EITHER a refund for the flight that was cancelled.

OR an alternative flight (airlines call this re-routing) to your destination.

We've seen some airlines pushing customers towards getting a voucher instead, but you are absolutely entitled to a refund in this situation. In theory and according to the law this should also be paid in seven days, though aviation regulator the Civil Aviation Authority has acknowledged current circumstances are making it "very challenging" for airlines to sort it that quickly – and in practice, it's likely to take longer right now.

or go to your credit card and claim a refund under section 75 

Thanks for the post & advice.

Jack.

On 06/11/2020 at 20:56, Jack Frost said:

@Jack Frost If you paid with a Visa / MC, you should lodge a claim with your card issuing bank as chargeback for services not fulfilled. Your card issuing bank will lodge the claim with Thai Airways' Bankers (the card acquiring bank) and you will get a full refund. Part of VISA operating rules. The acquiring Bank will then make the claim like all other creditors with liquidators etc. Airlines going bankrupt is all too often. When Australia Ansett collapsed, all credit card purchases got full refund within days of raising a chargeback with their Bank. Those who paid with cheque and cash, lost out. 

There is a time limit. I can't recall the time limit.

Does not matter at what stage of bankruptcy / insolvency they are in. As long as ticket could not be used on the date / period it was eligible for. 

Edited by Joeleg

On 08/11/2020 at 23:56, semi-retired member said:

Not good news, for those of us who are currently owed money by TG, although hardly unexpected  ...

https://viewfromthewing.com/thai-airways-expects-to-run-out-of-cash-next-month/

"Thai Airways says it “only has enough financial reserves to last until December.”

Thanks for your post & article.

If this is the case then the vouchers many people have accepted are good for nothing.

Sounds sad & I was thinking I might just go for a voucher & this just might help Thai Airways to one day put my flight back on London to Bangkok, LHR - BKK.

The powers to be in this nation & Thai Airways should take a look at them selfs & they just might of let a lot of people down & pissed a lot of frequent tourists off.

Back on track any way & I am surprised Star Alliance has not helped here or put things in a better place.

Sad for me.

Jack.