IGNORED

Hotel Review: LK Metropole

Revanchist

hotel Review: LK Metropole

Executive Summary:

Hot garbage for easy mongering

Gripes:

There's no breakfast buffet now, not even on weekends. It's a choice of one of six egg dishes from a menu. BUT... came with so many sides (fruit plate, bread, salad) that I had to start telling them not to bring more than I could eat. (I hate to see food wasted.) The juice is fine, the coffee from a dispenser is awful.

At check-in they gave me a room with a broken lock on a balcony door. They asked if I wanted to wait while it was fixed or change rooms. I wanted to unpack and start mongering so changed rooms. Waited a few minutes, went to the old room, got my stuff, shifted to the new and there were four maids prepping the room... and a maintenance guy showed up to fix a broken balcony door lock on this room, too. WTAF?

Tipped all the maids and the mechanic, wanted a shower, ran the tap... it's coffee! Every tap in the room had to be run for ten minutes to clear the rust.

That odd smell... especially noticeable on the first day, abated a good deal over the next four days. I think it's some weird brand of pest control product. Can't be sure. I didn't get cancer yet. I think.

The original room had one of the two bathrobes that it was supposed to be equipped with. The replacement room had none and I had to remind them.

Not the hotel's fault but the douchebags in the room next door had their hallway door open 16 hours a day so the hallway was constantly hot and full of TV noises.

Kudos:

Reception is entirely used to taking a freelance girl's ID, calling up to the room, and sending her up to your room, so meetings in the lobby are not required. Greet your new toy wearing a bathrobe! This is good. Very good.

Proximity to LK Metro is definitely a plus. Literally less than 200 steps to the farthest bar. Stagger home at your leisure.

No deposit against damages is required. It's styled as a serviced apartment so the minibar is empty save for the free water.

Housekeeping, suitably bribed at 20 baht per worker per visit, had no problem with a mid-day towel reset and eventually just left 4 bath towels.

No noise whatsoever through the walls.

Smoking on the balcony is allowed.

Overall score:

Meh.

The freedom to play dial-a-hooker without putting on shoes and leaving your room is a plus but the overall value is still pretty poor. Rooms and common areas are well past due for a refurb.

Location is pretty bad for anything except LK Metro and Soi Buakaow. No idea how to get back from Soi 6 or Walking Street at night with a companion.

WIR:

Probably not. There are enough good deals in the area from better venues to make this a one-and-done experience. I'd maybe change my mind on that if there was a refurb done, including better bathroom, but I doubt they'll ever spend the money to do it.

• Thanks 2

I'm not your savior, I'm just a naughty boy.

Interesting.

I have been using Katiseree and find it not too bad. They know me in there now and that makes life easier. 500Bt a night and I have no complaints. There is a heap of activity just outside which I have yet to try. So many places, so many girls.. so little time :)

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Went to metropole first week it opened 18 or so years ago was great, had a mate stay there last year, certainly ready for a make over, not the best value for money now 

10 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

Oh god.  Sounds vile.

Not quite that bad. Saw no insects, for example. The safe worked. The blackout curtains did their job. Etc.

But it's a worn-out venue with no real charm and nothing to speak of in the way of amenities save the ease of mongering.

Not remotely in the same league as LK The Empress as I reviewed following my prior trip.

• Thanks 1

Just compare the price on Agoda for a standard room with balcony at LK Metropole and Areca Lodge delux room with balcony as they are virtually opposite each other so enjoy the close proximity with LK Metro.

You will end up booking Areca Lodge just as i have done, 2 nights at Areca for the price of 1 night LK Metropole.

I have always been a regular at LK Metropole but not at those stupid prices.......

Edited by Pumpuynarak

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Just compare the price on Agoda for a standard room with balcony at LK Metropole and Areca Lodge delux room with balcony as they are virtually opposite each other so enjoy the close proximity with LK Metro.

You will end up booking Areca Lodge just as i have done, 2 nights at Areca for the price of 1 night LK Metropole.

I have always been a regular at LK Metropole but not at those stupid prices.......

Considered Areca but the only room style that held any appeal apparently has no luggage storage and the bathroom is a bit odd from the few pictures I could find.

• 2 years later...

Stayed there in November. It's much the same as pre Covid, although the aircon in the room I had had been upgraded. I didn't see any other improvemets to the hotel. Somewhere I read the owners were looking to sell so maybe thats why it's not being done up,

I never use the breakfast or the pool, just the room so can't comment on those. I like the location and I always go for the 1 bed suite as I like plenty of room, the big fridge and walk in shower. Have been staying there for years. I tip the cleaning ladies 20 or 50 baht each day so get plenty of towels etc and my room is always made up after I get back from breakfast.

However, popped into the Areca and it looks like some serious upgrades recently so will try that for a few days on next trip and if good may be well switch unless the LK gets an overhaul.

I gave it a look in May 2022 and I ended up choosing The Areca Lodge instead. 

I did enjoy the free breakfast buffet each morning (till 0930) and the pool is a nice one.

• 1 year later...

What is the Wifi like here & do they have joiner fees?

The location of LK Metropole is just slightly better than Areca being across the road from a 7-11 & closer to the Fried Chicken place opposite Tops Daily.

Areca is a great hotel but Wifi was patchy and was only using it for emails, social media and mobile gaming, nothing too serious. 

Also Areca wanted an extra 500B to bring 2 girls back at the same time.