IGNORED

Anybody from U.S. get a O-A visa lately?

Billy Shears

54 minutes ago, davidge said:

It is a ‘retirement visa’. 

Once in Thailand you can get a 12 month Extension of Stay each year just the same as the O-A, with exactly the same financial requirements as the O-A except you do NOT need the approved Thai insurance each year for the Extension.

Oh, this simplifies it so much!  Thanks for the info!

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

5 hours ago, davidge said:

The Non O ‘for Retirement’ is also available in the USA at the moment. No background check, medical etc.

From RTE Washington:

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 90 days without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Eligibility:
1. Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application)
2. Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where applicant’s application is submitted
4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht

Well Dang it.. they was not offering that back in December when I came over .. LOL

but I have converted to Non-Imm O in Thailand now, and I didnt need any insurance, except the original Covid insurance.

1 minute ago, jimmyjam said:

Well Dang it.. they was not offering that back in December when I came over .. LOL

but I have converted to Non-Imm O in Thailand now, and I didnt need any insurance, except the original Covid insurance.

It hadn’t been available in the USA for years. They brought it back in under the ‘Covid rules’.

I’ve no idea if they’ll keep it longer term.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

1 minute ago, davidge said:

It hadn’t been available in the USA for years. They brought it back in under the ‘Covid rules’.

I’ve no idea if they’ll keep it longer term.

ok ...

i just wish they would have let us renew our Non-Imm O back in the States the last year when we were locked out of Thailand. it was total crap locking people out, and then they cant renew their Visa back home.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjam said:

ok ...

i just wish they would have let us renew our Non-Imm O back in the States the last year when we were locked out of Thailand. it was total crap locking people out, and then they cant renew their Visa back home.

I think that’s one of the reasons it was brought back in. 

3 hours ago, davidge said:

It is a ‘retirement visa’. 

Once in Thailand you can get a 12 month Extension of Stay each year just the same as the O-A, with exactly the same financial requirements as the O-A except you do NOT need the approved Thai insurance each year for the Extension.

How do you deal with airlines checking length of visa at check in if your trying to extend? Last few times I flew Korean Air from SFO they were pretty thorough about dates on airline tickets and visa timelines? I planed in advance to extend 30 days, and had to escalate to supervisor before they issued me a ticket that was 30 days longer than the 30 day visa on arrival.

I plan on returning with one year retirement visa this October, but the 90 retirement visa would make getting there a little easier initially.

thanks 

18 hours ago, Thaidive said:

How do you deal with airlines checking length of visa at check in if your trying to extend? Last few times I flew Korean Air from SFO they were pretty thorough about dates on airline tickets and visa timelines? I planed in advance to extend 30 days, and had to escalate to supervisor before they issued me a ticket that was 30 days longer than the 30 day visa on arrival.

I plan on returning with one year retirement visa this October, but the 90 retirement visa would make getting there a little easier initially.

thanks 

If you have a visa you shouldn’t have a problem with the airline - though you can always get an awkward check-in agent. The only time it should happen is if you are travelling without a visa - as you were.
BTW you don’t get a Visa on Arrival as an an American, you are allowed to enter Thailand for 30 days without a visa - Visa Exempt entry.

5 hours ago, davidge said:

BTW you don’t get a Visa on Arrival as an a American, you are allowed to enter Thailand for 30 days without a visa - Visa Exempt entry.

Is that the way it is now?  I thought you had to go thru all sorts of hoops with the local Thai Embassy (Chicago).

11 minutes ago, OKAY said:

Is that the way it is now?  I thought you had to go thru all sorts of hoops with the local Thai Embassy (Chicago).

I was pointing out the misunderstanding over Visa Exempt and Visa on Arrival. They are different things, applying to different countries, and there is often confusion.

Anyway, no, as an American, you don’t need a visa to enter Thailand now. However, you DO need a Certificate of Entry, Covid Insurance, Covid Test, Declaration Form, ASQ Booking etc etc etc.

18 hours ago, Thaidive said:

thanks 

From the US, you can always cancel any reservation within 24 hours.  So book a one way flight within the 90 day window, print out the confirmed booking, and cancel.  That way, you have a backup if anyone gives you grief.

I have only skim read this thread and maybe I missed any discussion related to this, but ........

IMNSHO O-A is not a good way to go because of the insurance requirement. I have an O-A that I put in place before the insurance requirement went into effect. I am giving serious thought to exiting Thailand before my next Extension of Stay is due and then re-enetering on a 30 day tourist visa (in effect killing my retirement O-A) and going the Non-IM O route from there.

This pisses me off in that I put a lot of time and effort into getting the O-A in place. Again IMNSHO the Thai insurance is worthless for someone my age (71) because it does not cover preexisting conditions and they interpret that quite broadly. It also is expensive.

Will the insurance requirement be extended to the Non-IM O at some point. mmmm, not this year.

• Like 2

This might be a silly question:  If I'm entering on a 90 day visa, and intend to get the 12 month extension, do I still need to purchse a return (round trip) airline ticket?  Seems like a waste of money, unless I can request a refund on the return ticket.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

3 minutes ago, Buddy Edgewood said:

This might be a silly question:  If I'm entering on a 90 day visa, and intend to get the 12 month extension, do I still need to purchse a return (round trip) airline ticket?  Seems like a waste of money, unless I can request a refund on the return ticket.

You shouldn’t need to, no.

The RTE doesn’t specify a return ticket and there shouldn’t be any issue with the airline as you’ll have a visa.

If you want to be ultra, ultra cautious just buy the cheapest ticket you can find out of Thailand for 89 days BUT it really shouldn’t be necessary.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I have only skim read this thread and maybe I missed any discussion related to this, but ........

IMNSHO O-A is not a good way to go because of the insurance requirement. I have an O-A that I put in place before the insurance requirement went into effect. I am giving serious thought to exiting Thailand before my next Extension of Stay is due and then re-enetering on a 30 day tourist visa (in effect killing my retirement O-A) and going the Non-IM O route from there.

This pisses me off in that I put a lot of time and effort into getting the O-A in place. Again IMNSHO the Thai insurance is worthless for someone my age (71) because it does not cover preexisting conditions and they interpret that quite broadly. It also is expensive.

Will the insurance requirement be extended to the Non-IM O at some point. mmmm, not this year.

4 hours ago, davidge said:

You shouldn’t need to, no.

The RTE doesn’t specify a return ticket and there shouldn’t be any issue with the airline as you’ll have a visa.

If you want to be ultra, ultra cautious just buy the cheapest ticket you can find out of Thailand for 89 days BUT it really shouldn’t be necessary.

Have to agree, just arrive on the 30 day stay and convert in country to a non imm O. I was blindsided by the insurance requirement and at the time couldn't find any insurance company offering insurance for folks 80+ but now at least one company is offering a 200.000bt deductible, bout 16,000/year, a bit of a scam as the requirement is 200,000 insurance. At the present time if there is an advantage to having an OA as opposed to an O, got no idea what it might be.

Edited by jetdoc

I have the original O-A visa obtained prior to the insurance mandate.

I renew every year with TikTok visa agent.

For a few thousand baht more (forgot exactly) they will “take care” of the insurance requirement with immigration.

Still cheaper than flying out and obtaining a new O visa.

I do have insurance but not the approved type required by immigration.

Just received my new 5 year DL for car and motorbike through TikTok.  Great agency.

Quick question on sending O-A forms to the Washington DC Thai Consulate.

Haven't mailed in my documents yet, but say you forget to include a document or your insurance policy does not meet the 40,000/400,00 O-A requirements.

Do they send everything back incl your $200.00 fee Or

Keep the $200.00 and request you resend everything.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

Haven't mailed in my documents yet, but say you forget to include a document or your insurance policy does not meet the 40,000/400,00 O-A requirements.

Thanks.

My $200 check was returned with my passport when I screwed up my first attempt,

13 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Thanks.

Apply for Non Imm O .. not O-A .. O u dont need the 400/40 insurance.

A way better deal across the board.

Read the above info

The OA visa is Poison. Come here on a tourist visa and convert to a Non Immigrant "O" visa. Same retirement requirements as OA and no medical or police check.