IGNORED

Non-O Visa Help

Hithere619

1 hour ago, davidge said:

As I said, the Non O is available in different categories - there are 7 different ones listed on RTE London website.

The Non O ‘for Retirement’ has not been available in the USA for some years. That’s the main reason that US BMs aren’t familiar with it. 

It was (surprisingly) added to the RTE Washington website earlier this week under the Covid visa RULES. It sounds as if the LA Consulate hasn’t updated yet.

You can get a 12-month Extension of Stay based on the Non O at Immigration in Thailand. You’ll need to have 800k baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months before applying (and 3 months after) as well as proof of address. You can do this within 15 or 30 days of the end of your initial stay (depending on IO). If you use an agent they can do it earlier - cost will depend on if you have the cash in bank or not. Friend had the money and paid 17000 to an agent last month (he didn’t want the hassle of immigration). They’ll likely charge more if you don’t have the cash in bank.

The big advantage of the Non O over the Non O-A is you don’t need Health Insurance for the annual Extension - unless Thai Immigration change the RULES in the future - and there’s less paperwork to get the visa in the first place.

That sound great! It would be nice to go through the simpler (?) non O process to start out and extend once in Thailand.

Sorry to be thick or little slow on the uptake( can you indeed say that now?) but just a query re visa requirements and using “an agent”...

Now firstly, as I read it and understand from reading this site and others, visas for extended stay or long term stay in Thailand generally require x,y and z in so far as things like insurance, x amount money in Thai bank and proof of address and so on to qualify at Thai immigration in country or by applying at Thai consulate in your home country(country of nationality/your passport) right?

But if you “walk in” to an agents office and apply via them to immigration dept. then some of those requirements, evaporate or disappear from the equation?

Now, is that a case of the agent effectively “vouches” that you indeed meet the requirements and “poof” like smoke and mirrors your passport appears back from immigration visa intact or you still need or the stuff but by using an agent you just save the hassle of lining up and waiting for the bereaucracy to do its best....

So sorry to be thick.

Skippy

33 minutes ago, SkippyRoo said:

Sorry to be thick or little slow on the uptake( can you indeed say that now?) but just a query re visa requirements and using “an agent”...

Now firstly, as I read it and understand from reading this site and others, visas for extended stay or long term stay in Thailand generally require x,y and z in so far as things like insurance, x amount money in Thai bank and proof of address and so on to qualify at Thai immigration in country or by applying at Thai consulate in your home country(country of nationality/your passport) right?

But if you “walk in” to an agents office and apply via them to immigration dept. then some of those requirements, evaporate or disappear from the equation?

Now, is that a case of the agent effectively “vouches” that you indeed meet the requirements and “poof” like smoke and mirrors your passport appears back from immigration visa intact or you still need or the stuff but by using an agent you just save the hassle of lining up and waiting for the bereaucracy to do its best....

So sorry to be thick.

Skippy

It could be either reason.

First, we’re only talking about inside Thailand (and Pattaya in particular) and not in your home country.

Some people meet all the requirements for their Extension of Stay but don’t want to do the paperwork, run around to put it together, go to Immigration etc etc. So, they pay an agent and they do it all for them. Plenty of people do it quite happily so it’s perfectly possible to do it yourself and it’s only once a year, plus 90-day reports and the new bank balance check after 3 months. 

Others don’t qualify for the Extension, don’t have the cash in bank, don’t have the insurance etc. They have no option other than use an agent (or leave Thailand). Agents generally charge more in these instances. 

The use of agents is a classic Thai ‘grey area’. Immigration Officers have some discretion so some people argue that it is actually legal. Others think it’s taking a chance as if anyone actually checked on you for some reason then it would be obvious you don’t actually meet the requirements. So, they make sure they do everything legitimately.

I’ve not actually heard of anyone getting into trouble by using an agent. There have been occasional crackdowns on certain aspects eg on Education Extensions a few years ago but nothing major.

Sometimes the Immigration Officers will even make things deliberately difficult for some people as they’d rather agents are used so they make money out of it.

It’s up to the individual how they choose to do things in the end. ’You pay your money and you take your choice’.

:)

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

What leads to all the confusion for us US ex-pats is the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC has different requirements than the Thailand Consulate in Los Angeles. 

I am sure there are similar issues with the other Thailand Consulars in other cities (Chicago and New York).

Then when and if you ever do get to Thailand it appears they even have different guidelines for the extension.

Then another set of guidelines if you use an agent.

No wonder this is a cluster fuck.

Edited by LASportsNut
  • Like 2

i have a non-o and applied for my COE today.  had health insurance with pacific cross.  flying Swiss Air. staying at 11 hotel in Bkk. 

i got my coe yesterday.  turn around time was approximately 48 hours.   yahoo!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hithere619 said:

is a TM.30 form required no matter what even if arriving on a visa? 

Yes BUT it is the property owner that is meant to do it.

If you stay in a hotel they invariably do it.

If you stay in a guesthouse they often do it, but some don’t.

If you rent a condo then the condo owner or agent should do it. Some do, some don’t.

If you own the condo it is your responsibility.

If you never go to Immigration for any reason (Extension, 90-day report etc) then it doesn’t actually matter but if you do go to Immigration they nearly always check if the TM30 was done and are very likely to fine you if it wasn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, davidge said:

If you rent a condo then the condo owner or agent should do it. Some do, some don’t.

If you never go to Immigration for any reason (Extension, 90-day report etc) then it doesn’t actually matter but if you do go to Immigration they nearly always check if the TM30 was done and are very likely to fine you if it wasn’t.

Thank you davidge. As always your information is super helpful.

On 20/11/2020 at 11:01, LASportsNut said:

What leads to all the confusion for us US ex-pats is the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC has different requirements than the Thailand Consulate in Los Angeles. 

I am sure there are similar issues with the other Thailand Consulars in other cities (Chicago and New York).

Then when and if you ever do get to Thailand it appears they even have different guidelines for the extension.

Then another set of guidelines if you use an agent.

No wonder this is a cluster fuck.

I've been scanning the LA consulate to see if they'll update to show availability of the retirement non O. If you click on the obvious links it leads you to believe the non O is only for Thai family or volunteers (and volunteers are still not allowed in country under the non O). But if you click on "Forms" on the VISA dropdown menu, then click on "Certificate of Entry" then scroll down to item (8).

(8)   NON-O / O-A / O-X  For Thailand retirement / long stay visa. 
             (click here for more information and registration)

select the highlighted blue text and THAT finally takes to you the thaiembdc.org page with the requirements for non O retirement visa.

You can skip all that of course and simply start on the thaiemb.org pages, but I was trying to ascertain that one can in fact submit the application through the LA consulate. I'm still not 100% sure but it looks like it can be done. Any US retirees that have done this feel free to let us know.

• Like 1

About six years ago I applied for and received an O-A visa from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate. It was done by mail in the U.S. and was expensive ($200+) after getting all the necessary documents, having some notarized and registered mail both ways.  Compared to today's costs it was cheap. No health insurance was required back then.          

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

15 hours ago, likeaking said:

About six years ago I applied for and received an O-A visa from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate. It was done by mail in the U.S. and was expensive ($200+) after getting all the necessary documents, having some notarized and registered mail both ways.  Compared to today's costs it was cheap. No health insurance was required back then.          

To clarify, I received a Non Immigrant O-A visa (long term) for up to a year.

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

Is it possible to extend a non immigrant "o"  single entry (90 days) with another 30 days at immigration in jomtien? 

Life is nice :GoldenSmile1:

3 hours ago, Jesper said:

Is it possible to extend a non immigrant "o"  single entry (90 days) with another 30 days at immigration in jomtien? 

Yes. Should be straightforward for 1900 baht.

On 24/11/2020 at 09:46, davidge said:

Davidge is there a time frame in which the TM30 needs to be done by if I arrive on a 90 day visa?

2 minutes ago, Hithere619 said:

Davidge is there a time frame in which the TM30 needs to be done by if I arrive on a 90 day visa?

Within 24 hours (not counting weekends/holidays)

23 hours ago, davidge said:

Within 24 hours (not counting weekends/holidays)

I assume this is somewhat flexible? For example I arrive then have to go through quarantine then need time to find a condo for rent. 

6 minutes ago, Hithere619 said:

I assume this is somewhat flexible? For example I arrive then have to go through quarantine then need time to find a condo for rent. 

The ASQ hotel will do it automatically for you when you arrive. When you leave quarantine, if you stay in another hotel then they will do it again. You have to do it every time you move! When you eventually rent a condo, then you have 24 hours again to make sure it’s done. As I said earlier, if you’re renting then the owner/agent ‘should’ do it for you. Just check they will. In the end, the worse that will happen is that you get fined but best avoided if possible.

Also, as I’m assuming you’re staying longer term, make sure they will give you the necessary paperwork (proof of address etc) for when you go for a visa extension.

I don't know if this is a direct response to Rides 4 Kickz. He released a video a few days ago suggesting entering the country (Thailand) on a tourist visa and changing status once you're there. This guy thinks that's a bad idea. But it still might work.

4 hours ago, duke main said:

I don't know if this is a direct response to Rides 4 Kickz. He released a video a few days ago suggesting entering the country (Thailand) on a tourist visa and changing status once you're there. This guy thinks that's a bad idea. But it still might work.

That used to be the easy way to do it. The American Embassy in Bangkok would sign off on any required records (criminal record, medical history, monthly income, etc.) without you having to get them from the U.S. Now it's different. The U.S. Embassy won't issue  required forms on the strength of your word and Thai Immigration now won't accept anything but copies of official records. 

Edited by likeaking
  • Like 2

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

5 hours ago, duke main said:

Listen to a lawyer whose law firm handles visa applications, or listen to a guy who rides around making YouTube videos... is there even a question about expertise?

• Thanks 2

I'm not your savior, I'm just a naughty boy.

I'm not sure if I should be getting nervous. I uploaded the docs for the non O on Sunday Dec 6. I checked the wrong category (foreigner with certificate of residency) and it got kicked back pretty quickly, saying I'm not eligible for that category. So I corrected that to non O retired and checked the rest of it to make sure I didn't screw up anything else. I resubmitted Monday morning (the 7th) and I'm still waiting for a reply. Any insight on the expected timeline? My flight is out of LAX on Dec 30.

Didn't notice in the video which category of O Visa was being discussed.

I assume that the insurance requirement for O-A may be satisfied by the current policy for health insurance and Covid cover now necessary. Maybe @duke main can confirm?

1 hour ago, bangna said:

I assume that the insurance requirement for O-A may be satisfied by the current policy for health insurance and Covid cover now necessary. Maybe @duke main can confirm?

I'm not super confident about my knowledge here but I think there are some policies that offer both kinds of coverage required but it's up to the buyer to read the fine print. When I get a response to my submission I'll report.

11 hours ago, bangna said:

There are 2 separate requirements that require 2 different lots of paperwork. Yes, you can buy one policy that covers both but the Insurance Coverage must clearly state the 400000/40000 baht IP/OP cover AND the company must be willing to provide a letter that specifically states you are covered for Covid for at least $100000.

There are Thai companies that do this online and know what’s required - but I’ll put my usual rider that the actual coverage might not be suitable longer term. It will, however, get you into Thailand.

• Like 2