IGNORED

Thailand's new property tax law...

Phuket_Butterfly

So I have read articles on the Thai legislature passing a law on a new property tax.  Example:  https://globalcompliancenews.com/new-property-tax-thailand-20181129/

As a Pattaya condo owner I've never paid any tax.  With the global pandemic I'm stuck out of country so I'm sure the property tax payment will be late.

So stupid question time...  

Where do I go in Pattaya to pay this tax (location and name of office)?  

What documents might this taxation office need?  Would condo blue book be enough or will I need something else?

Will I be provided with some kind of proof of payment document or receipt?

What is the deadline for paying to avoid penalty?

Any other helpful comments or info on this new tax greatly appreciated.

This is at least 3 years old now. They did enforce it on some (seemingly random) houses but I’ve heard little recently.

From memory, first homes worth under 50 million baht were exempt. It was second homes and really expensive properties that were liable to be taxed.

I can’t say I’ve heard of any condos being taxed yet but maybe someone who owns more than one can enlighten us.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

For the last several years, heard wife talking about dwellings worth more than 5Mbt would be taxed. Also hear friends holding property with no structure and not being farmed, are receiving tax notifications. The wife's condo (second home) about 3Mbt - no tax bill yet. Fingers crossed. A while back all the co-owners received a notification with a description of their unit and advised if not correct to notify Land office, maybe something is up.

Edited by jetdoc

OK, I've found some stuff on thaivisa.com that answers some of my questions.

A tax bill may not be sent to you, but it is your obligation to pay it.

The tax gets paid on N. Pattaya Rd at Pattaya City Hall.

I've read that the cues are somewhat confusing, no English, and cue numbers called out only in Thai.  The cues are a document check, then a cue to get your bill calculated, then a cue for the cashier.

Under the impression that Pattaya City Hall wants to see Blue Book, Chanote Copy of front and last owner page, Your Identification, and the sales contract from the Land Office.

Seems there is a substantial discount if paid before end of October (was Sept but got extended).

Not that any of this does me much good being stuck in Farangland.

Still trying to find a way to pay this from abroad.

5 hours ago, jetdoc said:

Also hear friends holding property with no structure and not being farmed, are receiving tax notifications.

Ah, that make sense now.  A few vacant fields at the back of Grand Avenue were recently cleared of weeds and some plants/trees planted so I presume that they are now being "farmed" so as to avoid tax.  Unfortunately the weeds that were cleared by the JCB are growing much faster than the plants/trees!

Can anyone recommend an agent who might offer a service of going down to Pattaya City Hall?

I e-mailed TikTok but they claimed not to do this type of work which kind of shocked me being that it is a relatively simple matter.

Wife's cousin living in a 10Mbt condo has received a tax bill. Not sure how assessing is done, maybe just using buy-in price for now.

• Like 1

The empty lot between The Urban and the 7/11 on Buakhao 15 also had the plot planted a couple of months ago.  #Farming

large plot just east of Kaan on Thepprasit was planted with banana trees back in January or maybe a bit earlier. Wonder how they are doing, I came back to homeland mid March.

Anything happening with the plot next to VT6 

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread as I’m obviously confused as to who should be paying this tax.

I thought it was higher value property, second property or unused land?

Has anyone with a condo in Pattaya been asked to pay?

I have 2 friends with a condo and both have been asked to pay by their different Juristic Persons.

One lives in a condo that cost around 4 million, but they’re selling for closer to 3 now. The other in one that cost 2.2 million but is now selling for about 1.8.

The amounts aren’t high, one is about 200 baht, but I thought properties like this were meant to be exempt???

Well, after a little bit of investigation, it looks as if they are saying that any condo owned by a foreigner is automatically a second home (with the possible exception of having a work permit & employment). Also, a monthly charge each month it isn’t paid.

I guess if the amount is small then people haven’t thought it was worth posting about it but I’m still surprised it’s not been mentioned.

Plenty of condo owners on here so, has anybody paid it? If all Juristic Persons don’t collect it does it entail a journey to City Hall?

I’d be interested to know. :)

I just returned on March 1st after 13 months stuck in the US. When I  picked up all my mail and bills from the condo staff there was a letter in Thai about the property tax and then another four or five page document that had been stamped with an official looking red stamp.

I took these to my condo manager and she explained that is was about the new property tax. The letter was informing me about it. The other document showed that it was paid. My condo took care of paying it for all the owners and just added it to their monthly bill for maintenance fees.

I have a 64 sqm condo. The purchase price was two million baht 14 years ago. Current value probably about 3.2 million baht.

My property tax for 2020 was 52 baht.

• Like 2

I also had to pay a late fee for registering my motorbike late since it had expired five months ago. The late fee was 7 baht.

2 minutes ago, Goolabert said:

I just returned on March 1st after 13 months stuck in the US. When I  picked up all my mail and bills from the condo staff there was a letter in Thai about the property tax and then another four or five page document that had been stamped with an official looking red stamp.

I took these to my condo manager and she explained that is was about the new property tax. The letter was informing me about it. The other document showed that it was paid. My condo took care of paying it for all the owners and just added it to their monthly bill for maintenance fees.

I have a 64 sqm condo. The purchase price was two million baht 14 years ago. Current value probably about 3.2 million baht.

My property tax for 2020 was 52 baht.

Thanks. Not sure how they work out how much it is. One has paid 250 baht, another has paid 850 baht :Dunno1:

Unless they were higher due to late payment, I guess??

I’m told some Condo Management handle it, as yours did, but others don’t.

I got one also, the staff at Unixx said it was discounted for the 1st year and was peanuts but the late payment fees took it up in the hundreds of baht.

The biggest pain was going to the city hall to pay it, you can't do it online and they courier the documents to you directly (which must cost more than the 1st year fees!)

Baby steps, get the tax legitimized and then raise it. Ten years from now we will be hearing the ouwches from the tax pain.  Anyone know how income taxes got started in the USA? 

I was stuck in the UK last year when I got a tax bill. The condo management sent me a photo and asked if I wanted them to pay, which they did. 
Condo cost 5 million in company name, bill was around 950 baht but after reductions ended up around 75 baht. 

• 4 weeks later...

As long as I have owned a condo here I have never gotten a bill for property tax. That changed today I got a very professional 4 page tax bill all in Thai. I was able to get it translated thanks to Google Lens I just can't believe they bothered to go to the trouble my tax bill for the condo is 100 baht I get a 90 baht tax credit so I have to go to the bank and deposit into the revenue departments account 10.8 baht that's my total tax liability and the bill itself is about 4 pages I just can't believe they would go to the trouble in any event I guess I can live with could be worse I could be in California.

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

indeed crazy and actually stupid. in most countries such fees, taxes, etc. are waived if below a certain amount as the costs  of going after those are higher then the debt....TIT

I just returned a few weeks ago after being stuck in the US for a year. Same thing for me. I had a Property Tax bill sent for my condo. Our condo manager went down and paid the tax for every unit and then just added to the monthly dues. My tax was 54 Baht.

Two identical threads merged.

• 5 months later...
On 09/03/2021 at 22:18, article22 said:

I got one also, the staff at Unixx said it was discounted for the 1st year and was peanuts but the late payment fees took it up in the hundreds of baht.

The biggest pain was going to the city hall to pay it, you can't do it online and they courier the documents to you directly (which must cost more than the 1st year fees!)

you don't have to go to city hall. i paid mine at the krungthai bank near wat chaimongkron. BM soi7 also paid his there i think it had to be a krungthai bank.

all i needed was the bill itself and my passport. the bill which i had never had before was heavily discounted i guess cos of covid. i paid either 26 or 27 bht plus the bank charged another 10 bht as a service fee.

a mate of mine in the same condo with the same size unit did not get a bill and we have no idea why

Edited by striderman

• 7 months later...

I just got a bill today.. 600b.. says i can pay online but i dont know where? any ideas?