IGNORED

Thailand's new property tax law...

Phuket_Butterfly

So I have read articles on the Thai legislature passing a law on a new property tax.  Example:  https://globalcompliancenews.com/new-property-tax-thailand-20181129/

As a Pattaya condo owner I've never paid any tax.  With the global pandemic I'm stuck out of country so I'm sure the property tax payment will be late.

So stupid question time...  

Where do I go in Pattaya to pay this tax (location and name of office)?  

What documents might this taxation office need?  Would condo blue book be enough or will I need something else?

Will I be provided with some kind of proof of payment document or receipt?

What is the deadline for paying to avoid penalty?

Any other helpful comments or info on this new tax greatly appreciated.

This is at least 3 years old now. They did enforce it on some (seemingly random) houses but I’ve heard little recently.

From memory, first homes worth under 50 million baht were exempt. It was second homes and really expensive properties that were liable to be taxed.

I can’t say I’ve heard of any condos being taxed yet but maybe someone who owns more than one can enlighten us.

For the last several years, heard wife talking about dwellings worth more than 5Mbt would be taxed. Also hear friends holding property with no structure and not being farmed, are receiving tax notifications. The wife's condo (second home) about 3Mbt - no tax bill yet. Fingers crossed. A while back all the co-owners received a notification with a description of their unit and advised if not correct to notify Land office, maybe something is up.

Edited by jetdoc
Phuket_Butterfly

OK, I've found some stuff on thaivisa.com that answers some of my questions.

A tax bill may not be sent to you, but it is your obligation to pay it.

The tax gets paid on N. Pattaya Rd at Pattaya City Hall.

I've read that the cues are somewhat confusing, no English, and cue numbers called out only in Thai.  The cues are a document check, then a cue to get your bill calculated, then a cue for the cashier.

Under the impression that Pattaya City Hall wants to see Blue Book, Chanote Copy of front and last owner page, Your Identification, and the sales contract from the Land Office.

Seems there is a substantial discount if paid before end of October (was Sept but got extended).

Not that any of this does me much good being stuck in Farangland.

Still trying to find a way to pay this from abroad.

5 hours ago, jetdoc said:

Also hear friends holding property with no structure and not being farmed, are receiving tax notifications.

Ah, that make sense now.  A few vacant fields at the back of Grand Avenue were recently cleared of weeds and some plants/trees planted so I presume that they are now being "farmed" so as to avoid tax.  Unfortunately the weeds that were cleared by the JCB are growing much faster than the plants/trees!

Phuket_Butterfly

Can anyone recommend an agent who might offer a service of going down to Pattaya City Hall?

I e-mailed TikTok but they claimed not to do this type of work which kind of shocked me being that it is a relatively simple matter.

Wife's cousin living in a 10Mbt condo has received a tax bill. Not sure how assessing is done, maybe just using buy-in price for now.

• Like 1

The empty lot between The Urban and the 7/11 on Buakhao 15 also had the plot planted a couple of months ago.  #Farming

large plot just east of Kaan on Thepprasit was planted with banana trees back in January or maybe a bit earlier. Wonder how they are doing, I came back to homeland mid March.

Anything happening with the plot next to VT6