IGNORED

US Tourist Visa for a Thai GF

ChiFlyer

I did a search for this topic and did not find anything relevant in this forum. I am sure that this topic has been covered before, but thought I would start my own thread to discuss my experiences. I plan to drill the US Embassy site and will report back on what I find.

I have a medical condition that will require treatment. I have confidence in the Pattaya area hospitals, but my insurance will not cover treatment there. My insurance does cover ER and any related in-patient, but not ongoing care. This treatment may get costly, even by Thailand cost structures and I have a preference to be guided by my US doctor who I have been with for 10 years on this particular matter.

This situation is not an imminent crisis, so I have discretion as to when I return to the US for treatment. I have had several visits to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital for tests and forwarded those to my US doctor. He has said that there is very little chance the situation would become critical in the next 6 months.

I will not return to the US until the pandemic is under control. I am 71 and have a stronger possibility of being taken out by Covid than what the treatment covers. I will pay for the treatment in Thailand, if it becomes necessary. I do tests every 6 months, per my doctors advice.

The treatment will disable me to some extent for some period of time (one month?). My Thai GF wants to travel with me to keep an eye (and probably a lot of lip) on my ornery ass while this is going on. She knows me better than I do some days.

She will qualify for a tourist visa. She owns a small business, has the requisite 200,000 THB in the bank, owns 2 properties, and a car. As I initially understand things what the US Embassy will be looking for with regard to a tourist visa is proof that she has reason to return to Thailand.

I will be looking for some evidence that I can return to the Kingdom, as this is where I want to live, regardless of all the other bs.

Well off to the US Embassy site. I am expecting to read no tourist visas are being processed at this time due to the pandemic.

Again any shared experiences from others that have been through this type of thing would be appreciated. I do mean US tourist visas for a Thai GF.

Well that was not as terrible of a start as what I was expecting. The US Embassy has returned to accepting visa requests.

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/

An explanation of Non-IM Visa types

http://cdn.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visaapply.asp

More later

22 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

She will qualify for a tourist visa. She owns a small business, has the requisite 200,000 THB in the bank, owns 2 properties, and a car. As I initially understand things what the US Embassy will be looking for with regard to a tourist visa is proof that she has reason to return to Thailand.

The law places a presumption to immigrate which must be overcome.   However, she seems to have some decent ties which may overcome that.  I’ve seen girls approved with less.  

Mentioning she is going with her US Citizen boyfriend would likely engender a rejection, so tread carefully.  If you go along the lines of needing her to care for you, the consular officer would look at this as employment and you’d need to explain why you couldn’t obtain similar care from someone legally in the US.  Again, be careful with the information you do provide. 

How long to you intend for her to stay should she receive a visa ?  

Edited by momo5

I wish you well in your illness and visa application. Just curious, how old is your GF? Age might play a big role in if she gets a visa or not.

I had an ex-TGF attempt to get tourist visa on 2 occasions.

Both times she was denied without explanation.

She owns a house (mortgage paid off) as well a car. She has a great job earning 50,000 baht a month.

No kids but an extended family.

First time she mentioned me. Second time she did not but they did and she denied we were still dating.

So I think if the girls have any boyfriend in USA they will automatically denied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

When I was trying to bring my Thai wife over to the states for just a 2 week holiday the visa shops in Pattaya were not interested in my business.  They told me that they wouldn't attempt to help me as they knew it was a waste of their time.  Good luck

• Like 2

Just fly her to Mexico and have her walk over the border. Boom! Problem solved. Truthfully I don't get why it is so difficult, Thailand is a U.S. ally and we have treaties going back 200 years and they are not allowed to visit with out the fiery circus trick BS. Since when are "They" concerned about people coming in and not leaving? 

• Like 1

"If there are no Thai Bar Girls in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

While I'm sure there are quotas and general guidelines, getting a visa for a TG to the US is at least somewhat the luck of the draw and which consular agent you end up with.  I have no idea how covid factors in.  I personally was fortunate and while my then TGF had no financial substantial ties to Thailand, I had a business and created some paperwork showing she had a good job at my Thai company, and she could demonstrate family ties.  I went with her to the interview, saying I wanted her to accompany me on a trip to the US and would bring her back in a month.  From my passport they could see I was regularly traveling back and forth from US to Thailand.  I do not think she would have obtained the visa if I did not go with her to assure and persuade the consular agent I would bring her back.  What does seems clear, if they get a visa once and return to Thailand then it is easy to obtain future visas -- as she subsequently did on her own.  Maybe I just got lucky.

I disagree with above posts which say not to mention she is your girlfriend.  In this instance, I think you are better off telling the truth that you reside in Thailand, are going to US for a medical procedure and want your TGF to accompany you and that you will both be back in a month.  While she will have to overcome the presumption she will stay, it is believable you will both return after your procedure.  Consular officers have discretion and can be persuaded.

I would see if characterizing her as a “caregiver” during your recovery may help grease the skids a little.

In any event, best of luck on the procedure, and thanks in advance for letting us know how this proceeds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm sure there are quotas and general guidelines, getting a visa for a TG to the US is at least somewhat the luck of the draw and which consular agent you end up with.  I have no idea how covid factors in.  I personally was fortunate and while my then TGF had no financial substantial ties to Thailand, I had a business and created some paperwork showing she had a good job at my Thai company, and she could demonstrate family ties.  I went with her to the interview, saying I wanted her to accompany me on a trip to the US and would bring her back in a month.  From my passport they could see I was regularly traveling back and forth from US to Thailand.  I do not think she would have obtained the visa if I did not go with her to assure and persuade the consular agent I would bring her back.  What does seems clear, if they get a visa once and return to Thailand then it is easy to obtain future visas -- as she subsequently did on her own.  Maybe I just got lucky.
I disagree with above posts which say not to mention she is your girlfriend.  In this instance, I think you are better off telling the truth that you reside in Thailand, are going to US for a medical procedure and want your TGF to accompany you and that you will both be back in a month.  While she will have to overcome the presumption she will stay, it is believable you will both return after your procedure.  Consular officers have discretion and can be persuaded.

I wonder when this occurred because the current appointment papers make it very clear they are not allowed to bring anyone to the interview.

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I will be looking for some evidence that I can return to the Kingdom, as this is where I want to live, regardless of all the other bs.

I see returning to the Kingdom as your biggest stumbling block. A couple of days ago it was announced by a Thai department that foreigners who own property in Thailand and want to enter the Kingdom must have 3,000,000 Baht in a Thai bank prior to getting a visa. This and the likelihood of the U.S. not being on the approved country list for a long time would make U.S. expats reentering Thailand questionable at best. Marrying your GF may be part of a solution.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

3 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

When I was trying to bring my Thai wife over to the states for just a 2 week holiday the visa shops in Pattaya were not interested in my business.  They told me that they wouldn't attempt to help me as they knew it was a waste of their time.  Good luck

Because the consulate will tell her to apply for a spousal visa.  It’s incredibly difficult to overcome presumption to immigrate when your spouse is a US citizen.  And if the US Citizen has not resided in the US for over a year, it becomes difficult to establish the basis for the spousal visa.  This situation is very unfortunate and clearly a gap in immigration regulations that should be addressed.  

1 hour ago, NYCCharles said:

There are no quotes for visitor visas.

Visitor visas are not sponsored either.

It is correct that if the applicant adheres to the visa requirements, they will easily obtain another visa in the future and likely for a longer duration. 

What makes it difficult is that visa applicants from certain countries have abused the visa laws and used them to immigrate illegally.  This raises the burden for other applicants from those countries.  

visajourney.com is a very helpful website on US immigration, with a specific sub forum on Thailand. I would suggest you look for substantive information there.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, momo5 said:

How long to you intend for her to stay should she receive a visa ?  

I was thinking that she would apply for 90 days.

7 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

I wish you well in your illness and visa application. Just curious, how old is your GF? Age might play a big role in if she gets a visa or not.

She is around 45.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, likeaking said:

I see returning to the Kingdom as your biggest stumbling block. A couple of days ago it was announced by a Thai department that foreigners who own property in Thailand and want to enter the Kingdom must have 3,000,000 Baht in a Thai bank prior to getting a visa. This and the likelihood of the U.S. not being on the approved country list for a long time would make U.S. expats reentering Thailand questionable at best. Marrying your GF may be part of a solution.

Given the length of time of the visa process and also the uncertainty of the pandemic, I am thinking Summer 2021 for the trip.

11 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

I was thinking that she would apply for 90 days.

First visa will likely be valid for 6-12 months with a maximum stay of 6 months.  However, length of stay is determined by the officer at her point of entry who will note it on the I-94, probably 90 days or less.  If asked, she should say what she wants, as it is  not easy to extend this within the US.  

Has she acquired visas to other countries ?  Proof of previous visa compliance can be very helpful.

Her age is in her favor as it goes to the depth of her ties to Thailand.   

Also, what visa did she apply for? A work visa and a travel visa are completely different.

Then you mention you think it is ok to admit she is your girlfriend but you made up a story she was your employee??

Hmmmm

10 minutes ago, momo5 said:

First visa will likely be valid for 6-12 months with a maximum stay of 6 months.  However, length of stay is determined by the officer at her point of entry who will note it on the I-94, probably 90 days or less.  If asked, she should say what she wants, as it is  not easy to extend this within the US.  

Has she acquired visas to other countries ?  Proof of previous visa compliance can be very helpful.

Her age is in her favor as it goes to the depth of her ties to Thailand.   

Thanks.

Yes, she has had a prior visa to Norway. No problems and she complied with the limits.

Edited by ChiFlyer

I started poking around VisaJourney.com. Good site from what I am seeing so far. I am learning as I go on this.

I processed a K1 (Fiance Visa) out of the Philippines once upon a time. I did all of my own paperwork on that one and it took about a year before she arrived in the US. I traveled with her for entry and I had a proud moment when the immigration officer complemented me on the entry package I put together.

Obviously this situation is much different and I think easier.

For a starter a tourist visa in this case is a B2. Sounds like the first step is to compile and submit a DS160 and then schedule an embassy interview. I am going to keep reading for now.

40 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thanks.

Yes, she has had a prior visa to Norway. No problems and she complied with the limits.

The visa to Norway will be very very helpful; be sure to highlight the details around that ... approval, travel dates, compliance with its restrictions (ie, returned home on time).   

I would still avoid references to you as her bf; she seems to have what it takes to be successful on her own merits.  

47 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

Also, what visa did she apply for? A work visa and a travel visa are completely different.

Then you mention you think it is ok to admit she is your girlfriend but you made up a story she was your employee??

Hmmmm

Well, the distinctions between girlfriend and employee are often semantics anyway.  

But I do agree with your point. 

You may want to go the marriage route in Thailand, and then apply for a visa for her based upon your marriage.  I think that it takes about a year for the paperwork for that visa to be approved.

Hope your medical condition improves

Edited by Roadglide

A Q for the crew.

Those of you that have had a GF file for a B2, how long did it take to get an interview after filing the DS-160? I realize that life is different these day, but the benchmark would still be interesting. Also, I think @momo5said that once the visa was approved it had to be used (as an entry to the US) within 6 months. Was that (to all) your experience?

Based on my prior K1 filing out of the Philippines, it had to be used within 90 days, which was a pain planning wise.