IGNORED

Safe to have checked baggage?

revan00

In past trips to Asia I’ve always used connecting flights through different airlines so I’ve avoided have any checked bags to avoid lost luggage and just stuck to the 2 carry ons. Now with my next trip in May I’m flying via Qatar Airways for both flights connecting in Doha. Would it be worth it to have an extra checked in bag? Or play it safe and stick to carry ons?

I’ll be visiting for 2 weeks so the extra capacity would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, revan00 said:

In past trips to Asia I’ve always used connecting flights through different airlines so I’ve avoided have any checked bags to avoid lost luggage and just stuck to the 2 carry ons. Now with my next trip in May I’m flying via Qatar Airways for both flights connecting in Doha. Would it be worth it to have an extra checked in bag? Or play it safe and stick to carry ons?

I’ll be visiting for 2 weeks so the extra capacity would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have travelled to Thailand five times. Always checked one bag and had one carry on. Used carry on for my electronics camera and most important my prescription drugs. Never had a problem. Of course if I have a chance to take another trip my carry on will be lost.

Never had a problem in Asia....except that opening day visit to the new HK airport....What a shambles.

38 minutes ago, Sac Les said:

Have travelled to Thailand five times. Always checked one bag and had one carry on. Used carry on for my electronics camera and most important my prescription drugs. Never had a problem. Of course if I have a chance to take another trip my carry on will be lost.

I always carry on board valuable items like cameras, phones, and laptops and the things I cannot afford to be without like pharmaceuticals, CC's, ID's, and of course cash. But on my semi annual, long duration, international trips I take too much with me for carry on alone and so I always check in a large suitcase with the airline. It has never been lost and the contents have never been stolen. Knock on wood, but I would still advise everyone to never put any valuable items in a checked in bag, only clothes, booze, toiletries ect. which for me usually weighs in at around 20 kg at the start of a 2 month Asian trip. 

On shorter 1 week side trips like a visa run to Phnom Penh or something, I leave my large suitcase with 90% of my stuff in storage at my Thai hotel and travel light with only a carry-on suitcase and a backpack for my laptop and camera.  It is great to travel light and not having to wait for luggage at the arriving airport and I never had a problem with hotel storage.

Edited by gogul
  • Like 2

Add me to the list of people who ALWAYS check a bag (2 on my trip last November, as it involved a week-long business trip to Japan (cold) after my Thailand trip ended).

As others have suggested, I carry-on a pretty decent sized carry-on bag, in which I pack my laptop, medication, credit cards/cash, all of my travel reservations/details, as well as a change of clothes (and extra pairs of socks/underwear).

For the trip last November, I had the two big bags, so my usual rolling carry-on would not have been manageable. I bought a great backpack that was big enough for all of the usual stuff I carry on, but was a little tight on the extra clothes. Love the backpack and may try to transition to it going forward.

I've flown on Qatar Air Vienna-Doha (change planes)-Bangkok return. Had one suitcase as hold baggage plus carry-on backpack with camera, phone, documents etc.

No problems at all, apart from I could not understand the loudspeaker announcements to passengers in alleged English in Doha. Just followed the others.

Years ago I had put a camera in my suitcase but it was not there on arrival, so it must have been stolen somewhere on the way (presence detected by x-ray?)  Now I put a cable tie through the lock as an additional security indicator. And I do carry the camera myself in person.

Never had any hold-baggage problems on Qatar Airways when transiting via Doha, the handling-area is under the main terminal and is fully air-conditioned, so I've always been happy to put even (easily-meltable) chocolate in my bags.  Although previous posters are right to always put valuables/medicines in carry-ons, as a general rule.  

The whole airport is smooth & efficient, some connections are less-than one hour, which barely leaves time to purchase your duty-frees, let alone visit the transit-lounges for a G&T and a bun ! :o

The whole new airport is very-modern & well-designed, unlike some older airports, transiting Dacca (Bangladesh) or (the old terminal) Mumbai was memorable in days-gone-by, but in a slightly less-good way. :rolleyes: 

Edited by semi-retired member