Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

E-Bike Review

forcebwithu

Last week ordered a Lulae V9 e-bike from Lazada for my lady to use for running errands around Pattaya. Cost with promo discounts was 8,571B. Shipping was quick, arrived two days after placing the order.

Some assembly was required. Needed to attach the handle bar assembly, basket, front brake cable, and rear fender bracket. There's also a set of handle bar mirrors that need to be attached, but the mounting brackets included with the bike had holes that were too small for the mirror support arms. Sent a message to the vendor about the problem and 10 minutes later had a reply they'll ship replacement parts. So plus marks to the vendor for dealing with the problem very quickly. One negative though, no assembly instructions were provided, but it was easy enough to figure out what needed to go where.

After assembling the bike I took it out for a test ride. While the motor is on the small size, 350W, it had enough power to move my 85kg up the small incline on our soi at 25kph, and down the incline at 30kph. With my lady riding and me pillion, it still had adequate power to move us along at a comfortable speed. The battery capacity is 48V 12A and cruising range is advertised at 65km.

While I won't be giving up my mtn and road bikes just yet, for my lady to use for running errands, the Lulae e-bike is a good choice.

PA050003.jpg

Looks great for dry days .. wouldn't take an electric bike out if it looks like rain with pattaya flooding!

You need insurance/helmet to ride one in pattaya?

O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

28 minutes ago, praf974 said:

Looks great for dry days .. wouldn't take an electric bike out if it looks like rain with pattaya flooding!

You need insurance/helmet to ride one in pattaya?

No license required for an e-bike, so no insurance or helmet required. 

8.5k is a good price for an e-bike, lowest I have seen by far here.  Does the battery detach?  So you can take it into your apartment for charging.

48 minutes ago, wadman said:

8.5k is a good price for an e-bike, lowest I have seen by far here.  Does the battery detach?  So you can take it into your apartment for charging.

You can remove the battery, but you don't need to as there is a plug in port on the bike for charging the battery.

ScreenShot001.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/10/2020 at 20:20, forcebwithu said:

You can remove the battery, but you don't need to as there is a plug in port on the bike for charging the battery.

Presume battery is Li-Ion .. any sense for the battery life, or the cost to replace it?

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

E-bikes have come a long way .. Aussies got it going on .. https://ampdbros.com.au/products/chubbie-electric-beach-cruiser-fat-tyre-bike

A bit pricey (THB 60,000, plus shipping AUS>TH), but a high-style ride.

An industrial designer would really raise the Lulae guys game .. they would really benefit by producing a few custom parts, rather than just assembling what appears to be only an assembly of off-the-shelf parts .. THB 8,500 is awfully cheap, but I have got to believe there is a sizeable market for a more upscale model at a higher price point .. not THB 60,000!, but something above and nearer to THB 8,500.

This industry should get better as e-bikes become more popular and appeal to a broader market.

Edited by brutox
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, brutox said:

Presume battery is Li-Ion .. any sense for the battery life, or the cost to replace it?

Your question piqued my interest so pulled the battery pack and opened it up to find out what really was inside. Based on weight alone I wasn't surprised to find four sealed lead acid batteries. Lazada has replacements for around 1,300B each (link).

Found this article on service life (link).

Long Service Life: The Chilwee battery has excellent cycle life which can reach 600 cycles @ 80% DOD. The batteries are well grouped to improve the battery bank's consistency in order to improve the battery bank's service life.

PB050003.jpg

PB050002.jpg

Whuh-hooo, and here it is .. a more evolved e-bike, available here in BKK .. 1,000w Li-Ion .. 40-50 km/hr .. THB 30,000 .. better.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/fatbike-1000w-48v-26-bangkok-e-bike-i1595400732-s4340532468.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!4340532468!252107321&gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WND6OK00J2FcaFnRe8OPWu8YOS4Ljo9g0Pj_WJy35nn_8FT8yxBhmtpxoC3mAQAvD_BwE

Appears as a standard bike frame, to which the electric elements are added.

Edited by brutox
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Your question piqued my interest so pulled the battery pack and opened it up to find out what really was inside. Based on weight alone I wasn't surprised to find four sealed lead acid batteries. Lazada has replacements for around 1,300B each (link).

Found this article on service life (link).

Long Service Life: The Chilwee battery has excellent cycle life which can reach 600 cycles @ 80% DOD. The batteries are well grouped to improve the battery bank's consistency in order to improve the battery bank's service life.

PB050003.jpg

PB050002.jpg

The main determining factor for price is battery chemistry. Lead acid being the cheapest and LiFePo4 being the most expensive. 

You got a hell of a deal though.  Be sure to never run it down below 50 percent charge or you'll cause permanent damage to the batteries.

16 minutes ago, brutox said:

Above 499 (?) Watts it is no longer considered an ebike and you would (theoretically) need a license, a plate and insurance.

7 hours ago, GorGuy said:

My electric bike.

12,500 baht

image.png.6a35e2b1674894bb7001ac02f9782175.png

Problem with that bike might be, it looks too much like a real scooter.  Would the BiB mistake that for a scooter, and pull you over?  And then to save face he might not back down.