IGNORED

Courtyard Pattaya North

On the Marriott website it says that they will open a new (or renamed) courtyard hotel on Soi Naklua 22 Moo 5 in December 2020. Has anyone seen construction or a hotel that could have a name change? I looked on google streets but that was no help. Thanks.

Edited by slashlarue
  • Like 1

It is a new build , saw in construction about 18 months ago . Nice quiet spot good beach area but not much else . I  like the area but it is out of the way .

4 hours ago, chippysam said:

It is a new build , saw in construction about 18 months ago . Nice quiet spot good beach area but not much else . I  like the area but it is out of the way .

I took a google streets ride down what I think was 22? It showed construction on the south side of the road. I’ll try to take a screen shot.

If my memory serves me well , I think I saw a Wyndham hotel being built acroos and up a bit . Must be the draw of Terminal 21 nearby and a beach , also a big drain into the sea at the crossroad of the Courtyard and the road running parallel to the beach .

3 hours ago, striderman said:

work stopped. site dead

Nice stuff Striderman .

• Like 2
14 hours ago, striderman said:

today.

soi 22 approx 400 mtrs left side

183091789_19aug006(Custom).JPG.70c261b079bae121b2dd0a868b106c28.JPG

1620784725_19aug008(Custom).JPG.6cde42ab16074275bec02559a25e680c.JPG

376191454_19aug009(Custom).JPG.4af622df573c8d8175c9f83f6027ac5b.JPG

roof pool top left....

1904550436_19aug010(Custom).JPG.1823bc54c458cc3ad8f19dab81692d27.JPG

Much more than I suspected. Appreciated. So next time that’s where I’ll be staying.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bonkabit said:

Thanks. This would not pop on the website for me after the first time. I just deleted the au after .com to see if it would load. And i was successful. Great.

• 4 months later...

For Marriott Bonvoy members:

I noticed this hotel showing up as an April '21 opening when I was researching the Bonvoy program; looks like it'll be a Cat 2 when it opens (probably 10k points / night, cost effective if the rooms are $80+/n or $64+/n if you're using a five night points redemption). Should be cheaper than that in cash if it opens at all in '21. 

This looked like the only cheap Marriott option in Pattaya. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, jmukh said:

For Marriott Bonvoy members:

I noticed this hotel showing up as an April '21 opening when I was researching the Bonvoy program; looks like it'll be a Cat 2 when it opens (probably 10k points / night, cost effective if the rooms are $80+/n or $64+/n if you're using a five night points redemption). Should be cheaper than that in cash if it opens at all in '21. 

This looked like the only cheap Marriott option in Pattaya. 

Yes, it looks really nice at least from the pics. I stayed a few times in the signature hotel on the south end of 2nd Rd, which was the Courtyard until 2018 I think. They were charging 15,000 per night with the 5th free. The rooms were like 45-50 per night US. It was a great clean hotel and the same thing happened to the Marriott further north on 2nd road. They ??? group bought them out or took back the name? 10,000 seems a little cheap for this hotel. By the time this C thing is over it maybe be back to 15,000.

Agreed. I was running numbers / plans for '21 travel, so I'm operating on the assumption that everything's going to be offpeak (10k for Category 2, 40k for 5 nights) for the summer. Standard is 12,500 and Peak is 15k, but I can't imagine tourism is going to pick up enough that they'd charge peak rates. If the $ rate is cheap enough, I'll most likely plan to just do it in cash as the best use of a $300 Amex credit.

A lot of Thailand hotels seem to have little correlation between $ and points values for redemptions; the JW Marriott in Bangkok, for example, still shows 35k/n on points, but I've stayed there prior to the pandemic for ~$100 a night, and it's rarely over $125, making it much cheaper to just pay cash. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with this Courtyard when it opens. 

Good to know there have been others in Pattaya; I was curious as to why Marriott had such little representation outside Bangkok. I'd rather not have to choose between earning nights to maintain Bonvoy status or a Pattaya trip with off-brand hotels

Were Marriott hotels in Pattaya guest-friendly in the past?  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jmukh said:

Agreed. I was running numbers / plans for '21 travel, so I'm operating on the assumption that everything's going to be offpeak (10k for Category 2, 40k for 5 nights) for the summer. Standard is 12,500 and Peak is 15k, but I can't imagine tourism is going to pick up enough that they'd charge peak rates. If the $ rate is cheap enough, I'll most likely plan to just do it in cash as the best use of a $300 Amex credit.

A lot of Thailand hotels seem to have little correlation between $ and points values for redemptions; the JW Marriott in Bangkok, for example, still shows 35k/n on points, but I've stayed there prior to the pandemic for ~$100 a night, and it's rarely over $125, making it much cheaper to just pay cash. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with this Courtyard when it opens. 

Good to know there have been others in Pattaya; I was curious as to why Marriott had such little representation outside Bangkok. I'd rather not have to choose between earning nights to maintain Bonvoy status or a Pattaya trip with off-brand hotels

Were Marriott hotels in Pattaya guest-friendly in the past?  

Yes, the Court-Yard-South as it was called was great. I just loved its setup/ When you arrived it was an open air lobby and straight back was the pool. Funny because my first time checking in was right behind a guy with 2 ladies he had just met. They copied their ID and off they went. I went to my room un packed and came down to the lobby (it was late) but just wanted to relax in the lobby with the breeze blowing through. And the next thing you know here comes the two girls off the elevator that were ahead of me when I was checking in. Yes I contemplated a sloppy seconds but was too tired to move on it.  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, slashlarue said:

Yes, it looks really nice at least from the pics. I stayed a few times in the signature hotel on the south end of 2nd Rd, which was the Courtyard until 2018 I think. They were charging 15,000 per night with the 5th free. The rooms were like 45-50 per night US. It was a great clean hotel and the same thing happened to the Marriott further north on 2nd road. They ??? group bought them out or took back the name? 10,000 seems a little cheap for this hotel. By the time this C thing is over it maybe be back to 15,000.

The Courtyard that became the signature lost it’s Marriot brand status due to Marriot decommissioning them due to not meeting their status.

I agree it was acceptable in general. Except the fitness room was a “lie”, as it was nothing but a few old broken stuff. I made them arrange for me to work out at the Marriot/ Avani fitness gym for free (excellent, but gone now), to compensate as I was staying for a month.

The next year I booked 8 months early, and three months before my trip I see I am cancelled on the app. I call and I am told it is decommissioned. I claim they owe me a free stay for my booking duration.  As they say, they will give you a free stay in another hotel if their hotel is overbooked and you pre-booked. They counter that’s true except for decommissioned hotels. I argue to the very top. We agree on a $250 goodwill card to me. I do have very high status with Marriot. 

I now split my stay with the Renaissance Marriot (points) and Avani (cash). 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, norton said:

The Courtyard that became the signature lost it’s Marriot brand status due to Marriot decommissioning them due to not meeting their status.

I now split my stay with the Renaissance Marriot (points) and Avani (cash). 

I'd love to see a $40-$50/n cash rate for the new one, since this'd make it easy for me to re-qualify for platinum every year. Just starting out with Bonvoy.

How convenient / inconvenient is transport between the Renaissance and, say, Soi 6

It’s 35 to 50 minutes depending on the time of day. They have a scheduled (12 am, 4 and 8 pm. Return about same time and 12 midnight) service of free shuttle to central shopping mall and a few other places. I take it in and taxi back at about 5 to 600 baht. So I can be out later. Some nights I don’t go in. 
 I take 10 days there and go in about 50 percent of time at night. Then stay in pattaya south after that for everyday access. 

20 hours ago, jmukh said:

How convenient / inconvenient is transport between the Renaissance and, say, Soi 6

It's not convenient at all. Yes, it's nice to think you'll save money on hotels by using points, but it's going to ruin your vacation if you stay too far away from the action. You'll soon get bored of taking a baht bus back and forth to Jomtien and it's a lot easier to get a girl you met in Pattaya to come to your room if you're staying in Pattaya. Pattaya hotels are very cheap for what you get, so there's no reason to use your hotel points there.

4 minutes ago, briguy said:

It's not convenient at all. Yes, it's nice to think you'll save money on hotels by using points, but it's going to ruin your vacation if you stay too far away from the action. You'll soon get bored of taking a baht bus back and forth to Jomtien and it's a lot easier to get a girl you met in Pattaya to come to your room if you're staying in Pattaya. Pattaya hotels are very cheap for what you get, so there's no reason to use your hotel points there.

Thanks. That was the experience I had in Bangkok, though there are so many Marriott hotels right on / off Sukhumvit Road that there are quite a few points vs. cash options within an easy walk. Hoping the new Courtyard turns out to be something similar for Pattaya. 

Though for trips in '21, another factor is that ASQ stays count toward elite nights, so it'd be fairly easy to re-qualify for status either way and just find a good cash rate in Pattaya (which will hopefully stay cheap during the '21 summer off-season). 

6 minutes ago, jmukh said:

Thanks. That was the experience I had in Bangkok, though there are so many Marriott hotels right on / off Sukhumvit Road that there are quite a few points vs. cash options within an easy walk.

Part of the idea of using hotel points is to get a better room than you can afford, and at least in Bangkok, the chain hotels are much more luxurious and more expensive compared to Pattaya, making points a better option.

• Like 1