IGNORED

My Elite Visa Application (Day 1 until the End)

LASportsNut

I didn't buy a place here in Vegas, just renting.

California can be very aggressive about getting income taxes. For example, if you are a resident, leave overseas for 20 years, and then come back for, say, medial care for a few months, then CA will claim that you never really intended to give up residency, and go after 20 years of back taxes. Or if you keep a mailing address with a relative in CA, they might claim again that you never intended to leave.

My account advised that I quite literally sever all ties with CA for a year. Residence, drivers license, voter registration, banking, magazine subscriptions.... everything to NV.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Good input! Setting up residency in a tax friendly state prior to relocating may be a good idea.

@LASportsNut - have you looked into this issue?

Ironically, I was just looking at condos in Las Vegas online over the weekend. Buying here in LA is out of the question, but Las Vegas is still somewhat possible.

I could even live there while working here. 90+% of what I do is done remotely, and, for the other 10%, I could drive or fly in. That said, it would be difficult to leave the white water views that I currently have with any potential retirement so far off on the horizon

Hey @Luv2Phuket,

Yes I have been planning something similar.  

I am looking at Texas, Nevada, Florida, and Washington as I have friends and/or family in all four states. 

All four have 0% state taxes.  

I have not decided which one yet.

Although I retired from my job, I still own a seasonal business in California.

There is no way around paying California taxes on that income, so I will wait about 3-6 years before I pull the plug on the business and move my main residence to one of the four. 

I am leaning toward the suburbs in Las Vegas (Henderson) or Dallas (Frisco).

1 hour ago, basket case said:

I didn't buy a place here in Vegas, just renting.

California can be very aggressive about getting income taxes. For example, if you are a resident, leave overseas for 20 years, and then come back for, say, medial care for a few months, then CA will claim that you never really intended to give up residency, and go after 20 years of back taxes. Or if you keep a mailing address with a relative in CA, they might claim again that you never intended to leave.

My account advised that I quite literally sever all ties with CA for a year. Residence, drivers license, voter registration, banking, magazine subscriptions.... everything to NV.

Yes, this is good advice and I will be doing the same.

22 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

Hopefully they can make this list 200 per day or even per week.  This would seem to make more sense.  But nothing really makes sense now a days.

Based on the whole 14 day Quarantine timeline,as well as allowing for other entrants into Thailand I would suggest it would be 200a month.

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

how did you get a letter from your insurance saying that it covered covid?  did they give it willingly?  what did the embassy need?  thanks for the info.

how did you get a letter from your insurance saying that it covered covid?  did they give it willingly?  what did the embassy need?  thanks for the info.

When I applied for my Retirement Visa they did not request anything related to Covid19. They only request proof of $40,000 in medical coverage. However the program was shut down prior to my approval.

Now that I am still in the application process of my Elite Visa, I am still not aware what Thailand is requiring related covid insurance, if any.

I know my insurance in the USA covers it all. Unsure of these Thailand medical policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 10/08/2020 at 15:37, LASportsNut said:

Hey @Luv2Phuket,

Yes I have been planning something similar.  

I am looking at Texas, Nevada, Florida, and Washington as I have friends and/or family in all four states. 

All four have 0% state taxes.  

I have not decided which one yet.

Although I retired from my job, I still own a seasonal business in California.

There is no way around paying California taxes on that income, so I will wait about 3-6 years before I pull the plug on the business and move my main residence to one of the four. 

I am leaning toward the suburbs in Las Vegas (Henderson) or Dallas (Frisco).

Texas is also a definite possibility for me, as that is where I was raised, still have family, went to school & started my career, and still have a bunch of friends.

The 2 suburbs you noted are  both high on my list, and I suspect that it is for the same essential reasons as you: affordability and ease of access to a major international airport. It certainly isn't for the nice cool summers in Henderson or Frisco!  5555

BTW, when I lived in Dallas (late 1990s), Frisco basically was a cow pasture. I was back there last year to work an event at the Ford Center (at the Cowboys facility) and was REALLY impressed by how it had exploded with development over the past 5-10 years.

8 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

When I applied for my Retirement Visa they did not request anything related to Covid19. They only request proof of $40,000 in medical coverage. However the program was shut down prior to my approval.

Now that I am still in the application process of my Elite Visa, I am still not aware what Thailand is requiring related covid insurance, if any.

I know my insurance in the USA covers it all. Unsure of these Thailand medical policies.

They won’t give you the Certificate of Entry that allows you on a repatriation flight without proof of a minimum of $100k Insurance coverage for Covid. They won’t just accept a non-specific policy you must show something from your insurers that specifies that Covid is covered.  

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Texas is also a definite possibility for me, as that is where I was raised, still have family, went to school & started my career, and still have a bunch of friends.
The 2 suburbs you noted are  both high on my list, and I suspect that it is for the same essential reasons as you: affordability and ease of access to a major international airport. It certainly isn't for the nice cool summers in Henderson or Frisco!  5555

BTW, when I lived in Dallas (late 1990s), Frisco basically was a cow pasture. I was back there last year to work an event at the Ford Center (at the Cowboys facility) and was REALLY impressed by how it had exploded with development over the past 5-10 years.

Yes, both those places are too hot in the Summer for sure. I would hope I am not there during the Summer.

One of my best friends moved to Frisco 4 months ago. He purchased a 6 bedroom and 5 bath for $975,000. It is actually already valued at $1.2 after some remodeling. It is a 6000 sq huge and beautiful home.

Nice town. The Dallas Cowboys practice field is there now. They used to travel to Thousand Oaks until the Rams returned to LA. Anyway a lot of Dallas sports stars live in Frisco now.

On 05/08/2020 at 09:12, LASportsNut said:

This is a good video of a new member opening his new member box.

Video is HERE!

Just watched this guys video & he is doing 2 weeks quarantine in a nice hotel but I noticed he had some Thai girl in his room.

He said it was the Holiday in & in Rayong.

He also walked out of the front door of the hotel & went down to the restaurant for food & a cocktail 

Is this for real ???

I found it very interesting.

9 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

Just watched this guys video & he is doing 2 weeks quarantine in a nice hotel but I noticed he had some Thai girl in his room.

He also walked out of the front door of the hotel & went down to the restaurant for food & a cocktail 

Is this for real ???

I saw that too.  I am unsure 100% because I thought you had to quarantine in Bangkok. 

Last I checked the U-Tapao airport does not have international flights, but I am not 100% sure about that either.

I read they are changing the airport to International in 2024.

There was another post that indicated the quarantined hotels staggers a time slot to go outside. 

This ensures you can stretch your legs and get some fresh air. Along with still remaining isolated from others.

I wonder if this hotel was doing that.

But I also read you cannot have a girl with you as they are making couples get separate rooms too. 

This is all speculation based upon information on PA and google searches trying to find accurate information.

13 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

Is this for real ???

Watching that video, it was uploaded on May 6, so I think that it was before formal "quarantine" was in effect. At the beginning he says something along the lines of "kinda like quarantine." 

He keeps referencing quarantine throughout, but I think it was more of a shelter in place order (or whatever was in place in late April/early May).

Here is one that a guy posted for travel from Burbank to Thailand (via Korea) about a month ago - 

14 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

I saw that too.  I am unsure 100% because I thought you had to quarantine in Bangkok. 

Last I checked the U-Tapao airport does not have international flights, but I am not 100% sure about that either.

I read they are changing the airport to International in 2024.

There was another post that indicated the quarantined hotels staggers a time slot to go outside. 

This ensures you can stretch your legs and get some fresh air. Along with still remaining isolated from others.

I wonder if this hotel was doing that.

But I also read you cannot have a girl with you as they are making couples get separate rooms too. 

This is all speculation based upon information on PA and google searches trying to find accurate information.

UTP does have international flights (2-3 Xmas ago I flew in from Singapore & got stuck behind hoards of Chinese, also QATAR added a flight to there from Doha) & I believe the 2nd Terminal opened up this year (maybe late last) 

However, at the moment there are very few flights from UTP (I was trying to get one to Udon Thani last week) & certainly no international ones, even if there were my understanding is that there are only ASQs in Bangkok & Phuket (Not sure if these are operational yet) 

Also, I read somewhere that only Elite Visa holders with Business in Thailand are being given COEs from the Thai Embassy, this might be a temporary "Soft" measure given there are only 500 entries a day allowed in & priority goes to returning Thais but something to consider if you're buying a TE to somehow get back quicker (I believe the OP is buying his to not have to leave). 

Edited by JB300

9 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Watching that video, it was uploaded on May 6, so I think that it was before formal "quarantine" was in effect. At the beginning he says something along the lines of "kinda like quarantine." 

He keeps referencing quarantine throughout, but I think it was more of a shelter in place order (or whatever was in place in late April/early May).

Here is one that a guy posted for travel from Burbank to Thailand (via Korea) about a month ago - 

Burbank to BKK?

Wow, I live close to Burbank, but always go to LAX.

I could not imagine Burbank would offer better flights at a better rate.

3 minutes ago, JB300 said:

UTP does have international flights (2-3 Xmas ago I flew in from Singapore & got stuck behind hoards of Chinese, also QATAR added a flight to there from Doha) & I believe the 2nd Terminal opened up this year (maybe late last) 

However, at the moment there are very few flights from UTP (I was trying to get one to Udon Thani last week) & certainly no international ones, even if there were my understanding is that there are only ASQs in Bangkok & Phuket (Not sure if these are operational yet) 

Also, I read somewhere that only Elite Visa holders with Business in Thailand are being given COEs from the Thai Embassy, this might be a temporary "Soft" measure given there are only 500 entries a day allowed in & priority goes to returning Thais but something to consider if you're buying a TE to somehow get back quicker (I believe the OP is buying his to not have to leave). 

Thank you for the clarification on the international flights to and from UTP.

Yes, I heard today, Thailand increased the amount from 200 to 500 entries per day.

I was not aware of the Elite Visa with business. I checked the box retired, I will contact Elite Visa and inquire about this.  

I know you cannot "work" on the Elite Visa but if you have "business" (investment) it is ok.

19 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

Burbank to BKK?

Wow, I live close to Burbank, but always go to LAX.

I could not imagine Burbank would offer better flights at a better rate.

Sorry - video starts at his home in Burbank, but he flies via LAX

Tom Bradley Terminal is eerily empty 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LASportsNut said:

Thank you for the clarification on the international flights to and from UTP.

Yes, I heard today, Thailand increased the amount from 200 to 500 entries per day.

I was not aware of the Elite Visa with business. I checked the box retired, I will contact Elite Visa and inquire about this.  

I know you cannot "work" on the Elite Visa but if you have "business" (investment) it is ok.

Apologies I was getting your thread mixed up with the guy who was trying to get an Elite in-country so he could stay with his family, obviously being able to use it to get back into Thailand is the main reason you're doing looking at getting one.

The Post I read was on ThaiVisa and the poster claimed that was the answer he got from his Thai Embassy, TBH it was short on detail & didn't include the Embassy's response just a post from him saying that's what they had said, follow-up posts called it BS but that's TVF all over, if he'd have had it signed, sealed & delivered by the Thai Ambassador himself, posters on there would still call it BS... 

I'm not sure if it's OK to post a link from TVF here so will PM it to you in case you have interest in following that discussion (I think it's in the Public area so you won't have to sign-up if you're not a member)... 

Edit: From https://thaiembdc.org/visas/ 

Currently, the following types of visas are NOT permitted to enter Thailand: Tourists visa holders (TR), Transit passengers (TS), Sports visa holders (S), Monks and other religious visa holders (R), Retirement visa holders (O-A/O-X), Thailand Privilege Card holders (Elite card), Volunteers (O), and non-formal students visa holders (such as language schools, diving schools, boxing schools).

For Thailand Privilege Card holders, please contact Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd. (Thailand Elite) directly to request for an authorization. At this stage, without an authorization from Thailand, the Royal Thai Embassy can’t issue COE for Elite card holders. 

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

LASportsNut,  thanks for this very thorough thread. I too am considering a five year Thai Elite visa, though not till till next year. 

• Thanks 1

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

I asked this in an email to TE, but didn't get an answer. Does anyone know how long after you approved that you need to pay for the visa? I'm thinking about coming in Jan. or Feb., and I want to apply soon enough to get in the queue, but not so quickly that I'll need to pay before they have articulated an entry policy for Elite Visa holders.

23 minutes ago, basket case said:

I asked this in an email to TE, but didn't get an answer. Does anyone know how long after you approved that you need to pay for the visa? I'm thinking about coming in Jan. or Feb., and I want to apply soon enough to get in the queue, but not so quickly that I'll need to pay before they have articulated an entry policy for Elite Visa holders.

I think you can count on 3 months after the approval letter is issued.

But wait for official and up to date answer from Elite.  

And piece of advice as well: make sure that the starting date of the visa won't be the date of issue of the approval letter which would make delaying the payment useless. 

Edited by KhunChang

6 hours ago, basket case said:

Due to your question I also sent an email. (see below)

5 hours ago, KhunChang said:

I think you can count on 3 months after the approval letter is issued.

But wait for official and up to date answer from Elite.  

And piece of advice as well: make sure that the starting date of the visa won't be the date of issue of the approval letter which would make delaying the payment useless. 

Yes, it is 90 days, however I sent Thailand Elite Visa an email to confirm and they responded with the following:

Actually, the approval letter is valid only 3 months before payment is due.

However, due to uncertain situation we’re pleased to extend the approval letter for 3 months in order to make the payment after situation is back to normal.

Should you have any question, pleased do not hesitate to contact us.

So this is bad news. This means they are having some issues with government approval, or the number of Elite Visa's gaining entry and/or the number of applicants for Elite Visa

Edited by LASportsNut

@LASportsNut 500 000 THB is 16000 USD

I know this is not Thailand but have you considered the amount and the quality of P4P you could get in your area with this cash ?

Could this last enough to allow you to wait for the ease of the travel restrictions and then get  the proper retirement visa which is (almost) free.

Edited by KhunChang

15 minutes ago, KhunChang said:

@LASportsNut 500 000 THB is 16000 USD

I know this is not Thailand but have you considered the amount and the quality of P4P you could get in your area with this cash ?

Could this last enough to allow you to wait for the ease of the travel restrictions and then get  the proper retirement visa which is (almost) free.

Yes of course.

P4P here in Los Angeles is $300-600.

massage with P4P is $150-200.

So if you take the average it is only 35-91 P4P.

I can get 30-60 P4P in one month in LOS. 

I prefer the complete atmosphere to Pattaya vs Los Angeles.

I have lived her fro 55+ years and I need a change of scenario.

Money is not much of an issue, as I worked two full time jobs for 23+ years. 

Saved and invested well.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

Yes of course.

P4P here in Los Angeles is $300-600.

Massage with P4P is $150-200.

So if you take the average it is only 35-91 P4P.

I can get 30-60 P4P in one month in LOS. 

I prefer the complete atmosphere to Pattaya vs Los Angeles.

I have lived her fro 55+ years and I need a change of scenario.

Money is not much of an issue, as I worked two full time jobs for 23+ years. 

Saved and invested well.

I understand...

Either way, good that you have now six months to decide for the payment.

Edited by KhunChang