IGNORED

My Elite Visa Application (Day 1 until the End)

LASportsNut

On April 7, 2021, I finally received an email reply with instructions to mail everything I had already uploaded to the Los Angeles office by US Postal Service.

There was also information to allow 15 business days.  WTF x 1 million.

I was going to cancel my flight and my hotel and rebook them both, however I decided to gamble.

I booked another flight (departing May 1, 2021) and had the hotel change my arrival date to May 2, 2021.

By this time the hotel staff told me they accepted my vaccination records and I only had to quarantine for 7/8 nights.

• Like 2

I wrote a cover letter explaining the entire story I just told here. I told them of my double reservation and asked if they could try to get it back to me before my first flight.

I was tracking my package I sent on April 8th and they received it on April 9th at 11 am.

Everyday I was monitoring the mail and finally on Thursday, April 15th, at 6:30 pm I saw the package was on the move.

I realized then I did not have time to get a PCR Covid test, so I canceled my first flight (cost me some points, but oh well).

Edited by LASportsNut

On April 15th, I finally received the package.

It contained all my documents I submitted along with my passport.

I opened the passport and saw there was a Thailand Elite Visa sticker in the middle of my passport.

The Visa is dated April 14, 2021 to April 13, 2026.

So they at least let my 20 years start when the embassy put the stamp in the book.

• Like 3

Just now, LASportsNut said:

On April 15th, I finally received the package.

It contained all my documents I submitted along with my passport.

I opened the passport and saw there was a Thailand Elite Visa sticker in the middle of my passport.

The Visa is dated April 14, 2021 to April 13, 2026.

So they at least let my 20 years start when the embassy put the stamp in the book.

20 years or 5 years?

2 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

20 years or 5 years?

Confusing I know.

The sticker is valid for 5 years and over the course of the 20 year Visa you get 4 stickers of 5 years.

These are adjusted if you have a new passport.  Which in my case will happen in 2024 and 2034.

• Like 3

Are you still glad you got the elite visa? A lot has changed since last August.

3 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Are you still glad you got the elite visa? A lot has changed since last August.

That is a great question.

Time will tell, as I have not been able to enjoy it yet. 

However, I think over the next 20 years with all the benefits of having it and not having to deal with all the hassle each year to renew the retirement visa it will be worth it.

I know the retirement visa renewal process is not extremely difficult, but I don't have to worry about it now.

Plus as much as I love Pattaya, sometimes I need a break and I really enjoy Bangkok.  So when I travel to and from USA or travel to another Asian country from Bangkok, I will definitely use the car services.

I already have a fast pass with my APEC card, but this will be nice to have some VIP service once off the plane.

I have the means to pay for it, so I did it and do not regret it.

I realize a lot has changed, but it has for all travelers and visa options.

I you have a decent pension, or deferred retirement or investment income, or passive income (rentals or business) I would do it.

The stocks this year have been very profitable. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this thread. A question, if anyone knows....

The elite visa may take a month to be setup, which may cause me an issue. On this basis, could i get a 60 day tourist visa (which are now online, so quick to process i assume??) ....then do a 30 day extension when in thailand. 

I have then secured 90 days with which to get the elite visa processed, which should be sufficient.

I would get 60 day covid insurance, i assume. I wouldn't have an exit flight booked though. I would have an airbnb booked for the first few weeks.

Any obvious flaws?

3 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

The elite visa may take a month to be setup, which may cause me an issue. On this basis, could i get a 60 day tourist visa (which are now online, so quick to process i assume??) ....then do a 30 day extension when in thailand. 

I have then secured 90 days with which to get the elite visa processed, which should be sufficient.

I would get 60 day covid insurance, i assume. I wouldn't have an exit flight booked though. I would have an airbnb booked for the first few weeks.

Any obvious flaws?

I am unfamiliar with UK travel requirements, but based on what you said it sounds fine.

Once you are in Thailand and your Thailand Elite is eventually approved the Thailand Elite staff will inform you how to get your visa sticker affixed to your passport.

5 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Any obvious flaws?

You can start the application now, you don't have to be in Thailand to do it. You can see if the evisa is applicable to you and apply at https://www.thaievisa.go.th/ You only need 30 days COVID insurance for the Thai Pass and an exit flight is not required when you enter with a 60 day tourist visa, only when arriving on a visa exempt.

6 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can start the application now, you don't have to be in Thailand to do it. You can see if the evisa is applicable to you and apply at https://www.thaievisa.go.th/ You only need 30 days COVID insurance for the Thai Pass and an exit flight is not required when you enter with a 60 day tourist visa, only when arriving on a visa exempt.

Yes i will start the application now (in UK) but the time delay i was concerned about was from paying the fee to the availability of the elite visa (won't bother explaining why). If it took 4 weeks, for example, it would be inconvenient.

Thanks for the 30 day insurance and the exit flight bit. 

Plus its also a way to get 3 'cheap months' of stay, but that wasn't necessarily the aim.

5 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Yes i will start the application now (in UK) but the time delay i was concerned about was from paying the fee to the availability of the elite visa (won't bother explaining why). If it took 4 weeks, for example, it would be inconvenient.

Thanks for the 30 day insurance and the exit flight bit. 

Plus its also a way to get 3 'cheap months' of stay, but that wasn't necessarily the aim.

You are right to be concerned. I paid around April 3rd and an appointment to affix the visa wasn't available until April 21st which was the very last day I was legally allowed to remain in Thailand so I got lucky. I also got a free 3 months from some promotion going on.

Edited by Ohyesuare

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/05/2022 at 03:50, Ohyesuare said:

I mentioned the (not needed) exit flight to someone in another thread. On the website you quoted in thst text, it says you do ...just wondering where your info was from. Cheers.

16 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

I mentioned the (not needed) exit flight to someone in another thread. On the website you quoted in thst text, it says you do ...just wondering where your info was from. Cheers.

You can just google it and it's very easy to find many sources saying you don't need a return ticket with a single or multiple entry tourist visa, only when using the 30 day visa exempt.

You'll find this text on many embassy websites that implies that: "Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained)."

Personally, I've entered Thailand many times with a tourist visa and a one way ticket. Embassies do sometimes differ in their requirements and interpretation of them and your country's embassy are the ones who handle and approve it so of course, I could see it possible there being some discrepancies in some countries.

16 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

exit flight

Last time when I arrived (with a tourist visa from my embassy) they grilled me a bit at Bangkok Airport about only having a next ticket to Singapore and no return ticket to my home country. So I think that in some cases they could see it as a red flag having no return ticket. But maybe also depends on how many times you visited Thailand previously, how long you stayed and on what visa or visa except.

4 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

You can just google it and it's very easy to find many sources saying you don't need a return ticket with a single or multiple entry tourist visa, only when using the 30 day visa exempt.

You'll find this text on many embassy websites that implies that: "Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained)."

Personally, I've entered Thailand many times with a tourist visa and a one way ticket. Embassies do sometimes differ in their requirements and interpretation of them and your country's embassy are the ones who handle and approve it so of course, I could see it possible there being some discrepancies in some countries.

I've seen 2 official websites, one says the bit you quoted above and the other says proof of onward journey required for a tourist visa.

A bit ambiguous unfortunately. I may err on the side of caution. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

you don't need a return ticket with a single or multiple entry tourist visa, only when using the 30 day visa exempt

Sorry, but this is not correct. With a tourist visa you are absolutely required to have onward travel arranged. However! Rarely checked.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thailand is one country where you can't provide a definitive set of answers. It depends which person of authority you face. 

Most other countries you can't even go past the check-in desk if you don't have a return fight if not a resident, PR or a long term visa holder. The Airlines are required to send back the passenger at their own cost. A prepaid train or ferry out of the country is fine etc. 

If it would turn up as a red flag, I don’t think Thailand is going to deny you entry for only the fact that you have no return ticket. The immigration official will consider your entire profile and answers to questions before making a decision. If you don’t raise any other red flags, you should probably be fine. But there is always a small amount of risk.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been waiting about 6 weeks now for my background check with thai immigration. The folks at elite said it can take 1-3 months. 

Did you guys experience anything similar?

Took three weeks in my case (2020, though.) Did you get an initial confirmation email about the process? Mine said approval process would be 1-2 months. 

35 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

I've been waiting about 6 weeks now for my background check with thai immigration. The folks at elite said it can take 1-3 months. 

Did you guys experience anything similar?

Took me about a month. Actually got it approved on the day my previous stamp was expiring. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Took me about a month. Actually got it approved on the day my previous stamp was expiring. 

He's talking about the initial approval. After which comes the payment phase. And, finally, another approval. Then time to get a sticker and stamp.