Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Returning to Thailand - which visa?

Hamchang

Gents

I've been out of Thailand since 2015. I've potentially got a new job which means working on a project site for a couple of months and 2 weeks off. If i take it, I will be moving the wife (Thai) back to Thailand and setting up base there to rotate in and out of. So my initial instinct is that in a year it would be 4 visits of 2 weeks at a time so therefore don't bother with a visa at all. Is a spouse Visa more hassle than its worth? I can get the proof of earnings from The Irish Consulate easily enough it seems and have the cash in the bank to get that visa easily enough. Not old enough for retirement visa. I am leaning towards actually getting a visa though for a few reasons not least because I would be (re)starting a business i had in Thailand at the same time so when the project end after a few years to be able to seamlessly add the work permit to my spouse visa. I have a few bank accounts (not touched them for 5 years so I assume they will be dead) in Thailand already. 

So what are peoples thoughts? 

The situation is rather different at the moment!

You can forget about short visits to Thailand for a while. How long, depends on the Government so is anybody’s guess.

This year? very, very unlikely anyone will be allowed in without quarantine.

Early next year? Who knows?

Even your wife will have to apply to the Thai Embassy, provide various documentation and wait for a seat on a repatriation flight to get in. On arrival, she will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Longer term, we don’t really know if the Thais will put new requirements on entry. My guess is there will be some for quite a while. In current circumstances, any proper long term visa can only help you to get into Thailand so I would say get a Spouse visa if you can.

Jyst realise that if your wife returns to Thailand soon then it could be quite a while before you can visit her if you only get 2 weeks off at a time.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Yes - I had wondered about that but clearly very difficult to get accurate information from anywhere. The job would start in Sept of Oct and would mean her shifting there and me going to work. Was hoping to go with her to set things up but reading that I wouldn't want quarantine for myself. Is the Quarantine in an detention centre still (as in not at home?) We'd be shipping our dogs as well so that would be a bloody night mare. 

53 minutes ago, Hamchang said:

Yes - I had wondered about that but clearly very difficult to get accurate information from anywhere. The job would start in Sept of Oct and would mean her shifting there and me going to work. Was hoping to go with her to set things up but reading that I wouldn't want quarantine for myself. Is the Quarantine in an detention centre still (as in not at home?) We'd be shipping our dogs as well so that would be a bloody night mare. 

Quarantine is compulsory for everyone and is currently undertaken in designated hotels.  They are finalising the rules for any foreigners returning to Thailand but so far indications are foreigners will be quarantined in a hotel and will also have to pay for the privilege too.  

There are also loads of hoops to go through before a "qualifying foreigner" will be allowed to enter Thailand!  There are other threads which indicate which foreigners are eligible to apply.

1 hour ago, Hamchang said:

I’ve no idea how it works at the moment with animals. I don’t expect it would make things easier.

There are some ‘optimists’ on here but, realistically in September/October it’s very likely your wife would have to go through the repatriation process. The wait for a flight varies by country. She’d need to speak to the Thai Embassy/Consulate where you are and go through the application process. The Embassy has to issue a Certificate of Entry to allow her to travel. This requires a Fit to Fly Certificate, Covid-free check etc. There is 2 weeks quarantine on arrival in hotels. There’s a free option for Thais but they have to wait for a space to be available. They can pay for Alternative Quarantine Arrangements (AQA) which is probably quicker. There are a number of hotels in the scheme and bottom end of the cost is about 30000-50000 baht. She would also have to wait to be allocated a seat on a repatriation flight and pay for that.

As long as the current situation continues, you could get in with a Spouse visa but not with a Tourist Visa. You also have to apply to the Embassy and in addition to the requirements above you’d need insurance that specifically covers COVID-19 of at least US$100000.

There’s no free quarantine option for farang. You’d have to pay. As you say you’d only have 2 weeks off anyway, there’s no way you’d be able to go and visit until they allow entry without quarantine. My guess, and only a guess, is that it’s unlikely until well into 2021. A vaccine could change that.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Looks like she will be staying here then until sanity returns. 

On 23/07/2020 at 20:23, Hamchang said:

Gents

I've been out of Thailand since 2015. I've potentially got a new job which means working on a project site for a couple of months and 2 weeks off. If i take it, I will be moving the wife (Thai) back to Thailand and setting up base there to rotate in and out of. So my initial instinct is that in a year it would be 4 visits of 2 weeks at a time so therefore don't bother with a visa at all. Is a spouse Visa more hassle than its worth? I can get the proof of earnings from The Irish Consulate easily enough it seems and have the cash in the bank to get that visa easily enough. Not old enough for retirement visa. I am leaning towards actually getting a visa though for a few reasons not least because I would be (re)starting a business i had in Thailand at the same time so when the project end after a few years to be able to seamlessly add the work permit to my spouse visa. I have a few bank accounts (not touched them for 5 years so I assume they will be dead) in Thailand already. 

So what are peoples thoughts? 

What he davide said. 

Moving forward if thing get back to normal you don't need to do anything arriving on visa exempt should be fine with that small amount of reentries.

Darren for key visa had a segment on  not long ago  on exact subject referring to FIFO workers.  

Showing  payslips/ income from a job to go back to will satisfy the IO if you get asked anything.

As for bank account the generally  a dormant account has fees  till closed.

On 23/07/2020 at 20:31, davidge said:

The situation is rather different at the moment!

You can forget about short visits to Thailand for a while. How long, depends on the Government so is anybody’s guess.

This year? very, very unlikely anyone will be allowed in without quarantine.

Early next year? Who knows?

Even your wife will have to apply to the Thai Embassy, provide various documentation and wait for a seat on a repatriation flight to get in. On arrival, she will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Longer term, we don’t really know if the Thais will put new requirements on entry. My guess is there will be some for quite a while. In current circumstances, any proper long term visa can only help you to get into Thailand so I would say get a Spouse visa if you can.

Jyst realise that if your wife returns to Thailand soon then it could be quite a while before you can visit her if you only get 2 weeks off at a time.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.