IGNORED

BA have retired all 744's with immediate effect

Shaksey

52 minutes ago, Itsgat said:

Guys, guys its just a plane, eat, drink, sleep arrive.....Simple.   Sadly we all fly by price and as a result the future will be slower and more cramped aircraft. 

For many that is the case, but at my time of life I like some comfort and to sleep well on long haul so I pay extra for it as I can afford it.

And I do check the aircraft type before booking and my seat so I know what I am getting for my cash.

Other ways of travel are available!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itsgat said:

Guys, guys its just a plane, eat, drink, sleep arrive.....Simple.   Sadly we all fly by price and as a result the future will be slower and more cramped aircraft. 

Don't agree with you. I would not want to fly in economy any more (too old and fat) but prefer to pay the extra to fly in Business class. There are huge variations on service, catering, seats etc between the airlines, so I make a call based on my preference not on price. I have opted for Air France sometimes based on their catering and wines as well as Eva and Thai, but my 'go to' airlines are nearly always Qatar or Singapore Airlines and this is not based on price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itsgat said:

No we don’t. 

While pricing is a variable to consider, I’ll often pay extra for convenience to my schedule and comfort as they are more important to me.  

• Like 3

On 19/07/2020 at 12:29, vivid2 said:

I've flown well over 1,000,000 miles on 747s over the last 5 decades, and I'll opt for a ride on a Dreamliner 787 any day.  It's so much smoother, quieter, more comfortable, has larger windows, is more pressurized, and the air is filtered and conditioned better.  Progress!!

True that.  

The Dreamliner is the only large transport category aircraft that has evolved away from tapping potentially dirty contaminated bleed air from the engines to pressurize the passenger cabin and breathing air supply.

It is the use of a composite fuselage on the Dreamliner that enables a much higher cabin pressure.  So important for passenger comfort.

A composite fuselage also enable the addition of humidity to the air on the Dreamliner for increased passenger comfort.

High levels of ozone in the stratosphere causes severe eyes, nose and throat irritation. State of the art ozone filtration system on the Dreamliner illiminate  this discomfort.

B747 is a true marvel in its time, but for passenger comfort?  

Dreamliner any day.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Whalley said:

True that.  

The Dreamliner is the only large transport category aircraft that has evolved away from tapping potentially dirty contaminated bleed air from the engines to pressurize the passenger cabin and breathing air supply.

Dreamliner any day.

My only gripe with the Dreamlier is that the fancy glass windows didn't fully balck out in direct sunlight when I was trying to sleep on a long haul flight on BA in biz. maybe thats fixed now???

17 hours ago, Whalley said:

True that.  

It is the use of a composite fuselage on the Dreamliner that enables a much higher cabin pressure.  So important for passenger comfort.

A composite fuselage also enable the addition of humidity to the air on the Dreamliner for increased passenger comfort.

High levels of ozone in the stratosphere causes severe eyes, nose and throat irritation. State of the art ozone filtration system on the Dreamliner illiminate  this discomfort.

Dreamliner any day.

While I agree with you in the environmental benefits of the B787 and also recognize that interior layout is highly dependent on the airline, I’ve yet to find a better experience than the upper deck of the B747.

People wandering the aisles and loitering near the lavatories is far more bothersome to me. Almost feels like a private plane on the upper deck of a B747. 

16 hours ago, tt2008 said:

My only gripe with the Dreamlier is that the fancy glass windows didn't fully balck out in direct sunlight when I was trying to sleep on a long haul flight on BA in biz. maybe thats fixed now???

Sounds like you had a faulty window or faulty control but that not typical.  The electro-chromatic dimmable window on a Dreamliner has a life expectancy of 70,000 flight cycles.  Capable of near total darkness allowing only 0.5% of light to pass, zero maintenance and very light weight.

In comparison, the windows on a B747 are 65% smaller.  The mechanical shades are more prone to failure and add significant weight overall.

On long flights through multiple time zones, the cabin crew or you have have no control on B747 over those who choose to keep their widow shades open disturbing other passengers trying to sleep or watch a movie.  On the Dreamliner it is just a flic of a switch for the flight crew to dim or brighten the entire cabin or single zone.

42 minutes ago, Whalley said:

Sounds like you had a faulty window or faulty control but that not typical.  The electro-chromatic dimmable window on a Dreamliner has a life expectancy of 70,000 flight cycles.  Capable of near total darkness allowing only 0.5% of light to pass, zero maintenance and very light weight.

Yes, must have been a duff window. I do like it that the crew can dim all the windows, I prefer to sleep in the dark and often someone wil insist in leaving their window open.

On 08/10/2020 at 11:48, tez4life said:

As far as I'm aware the 747 cruises using only 2 engines, the other 2 idle. With 4 used only for takeoff and possibly landing (braking)

But I could be wrong

Yeah, sorry, you're wrong. It cruised on all 4. It could carry on cruising on 3 with a decrease in altitude, and often did, if 1 failed at past the half way point of a flight the SOP used to be to carry on to the destination, BITD. It could stay in the air on 2 but it wouldn't be pretty nor anything like cruising.

On 09/10/2020 at 18:20, tt2008 said:

Agree. The windows don't work. I've travelled dozens of sectors on many different airlines 787's now and the windows do not block out direct sunlight. 

A number of airlines are now having window shades retro-fitted in fact.

32 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Yeah, sorry, you're wrong. It cruised on all 4. It could carry on cruising on 3 with a decrease in altitude, and often did, if 1 failed at past the half way point of a flight the SOP used to be to carry on to the destination, BITD. It could stay in the air on 2 but it wouldn't be pretty nor anything like cruising.

Is dual engine failure particularly tricky in the 74? Whilst unlikely to occur is it covered in LPC/OPCs?

18 hours ago, chunky123 said:

Is dual engine failure particularly tricky in the 74? Whilst unlikely to occur is it covered in LPC/OPCs?

It's the sudden drop in altitude that's the issue when 2 fail i believe.

All 4 failed once.

20 hours ago, Shaksey said:

Agree. The windows don't work. I've travelled dozens of sectors on many different airlines 787's now and the windows do not block out direct sunlight. 

A number of airlines are now having window shades retro-fitted in fact.

The earliest Dreamliners had issues and the only retro i have heard of, is to the second and third generation Gentex/PPG dimmable windows that block 10 times greater than the original first generation windows.  

The better windows have been used in production at Boeing for several years now.

98B2A5C6-4653-4585-89C6-26A199E37B45.jpeg

Edited by Whalley

On 16/07/2020 at 22:07, jaynewcastle said:

Some people actually plan & book their flights based on the type of airplane used on the route.

Hard to believe, but true 

What I find hard to believe is that so many just buy the cheapest fare regardless of carrier, aircraft type, seating config, etc. I myself appreciate those people who blindly take economy middle or bulkhead seats as this allows me to sharpshoot premium seats or rows with an empty middle seat if I happen to be stuck in the back.  

i typically fly cockpit or biz class these days so aircraft type isn’t that critical, but my preference is always B787 or 777-300, and I personally avoid any Airbus. 

It really is sad to see the ‘queen of the skies’ going to way of the dinosaur, but she’s a money pit for carriers to operate in today’s market. I recently drove past the boneyard in Marana AZ, and it was a sea of European carrier 747 tails. Definitely, end of an era. 

I too will miss them.  Many a journey up those stairs to business class in Qantas after a nod to the attendant and feeling like a right rich knob.   Good times.

Earlier than BA, Qantas retired their fleet...a nice little send off...yes the tracker is  real.

image.jpeg.74b638e61e9444165606d1802f0a119a.jpeg