Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

BA have retired all 744's with immediate effect

Shaksey

All 31 of them they still operated. Not so long ago, until 2015 i think they were operating 54.

Gutted.

Absolutely bloody gutted.

1A/K, 62A/K (day), and 64A/K (night) were/is/are the best seats on any commercially operated aircraft, ever, apart from any of the 100 on Concorde, obviously.

Gutted.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kansuwan said:

747-400's are known as 744's. But only an aeroplane geek would put that in a mongering forum

12 Pints in Know it all

Some people actually plan & book their flights based on the type of airplane used on the route.

Hard to believe, but true 

2 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

747-400's are known as 744's. But only an aeroplane geek would put that in a mongering forum

Guilty.

Or 747-436 for the BA fleet, 36 being BA's Boeing customer code :wink:

Edited by Shaksey
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

Some people actually plan & book their flights based on the type of airplane used on the route.

For long haul flights, sure ... there can be quite a difference in business class seating dependent upon the aircraft as well as the carrier. 

• Like 2

The last Qantas 747 has been doing its farewell tour around Australia this week.

They were a great plane.

4 hours ago, momo5 said:

For long haul flights, sure ... there can be quite a difference in business class seating dependent upon the aircraft as well as the carrier. 

Agree totally. Although I don't base my travel plans on the plane to be flown (these can change at last minute), I certainly favour certain carriers based on the aircraft that they fly and the seating in business class. Sad to see that Qatar are grounding their A380's because the onboard bar is great.

is this the one with an upper deck?  Used to fly on that one, great seating on top!

8 minutes ago, rainman333 said:

is this the one with an upper deck?  Used to fly on that one, great seating on top!

Partial upper deck, mostly used for First or Business. Full lenght of the plane would be a Airbus A 380. 

Boeing 747

Airbus A 380

10 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Yep, I one of "some people".

Use to be a B777 now its a A350.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

Yep, I one of "some people".

Use to be a B777 now its a A350.

Same here; one of the so called "some people"  who always check equipment and  seat configuration before booking.
Best Biz ever was  Singapore Air  747, their A380 come 2nd. IMHO no other carrier has, or will, come even close to the experience Sing Air provided on the 744 and for me its so f*cking sad to see the ol Queen of the sky disappearing and being replaced by some cramped, fuel efficient,  composit POS.

• Like 3

Been traveling the planet both Business and Pleasure for 3 decades. Yes, the type of aircraft, the airline configuration, and the length of trip make a big difference in having the right experience. Especially for those long, long, flights.

Sometimes taking a picture of the seat you wish you had can help you the next time you have to take the same flight.

And some of us travel a long way to mongering lands, so sort of sad to see the Queen of the Skies retire. She was a good ride while it lasted.

• Like 2

I will miss  them !

Good ,hardworking old friends

ok, I was can understand the people who fly business class etc being more choosy about the actual planes they choose,   but I'm sure that the vast majority of us fly economy & I'd imagine economy on most modern planes is fairly standard on all plane types, with the main differences being the quality & service of the actual airline you're flying with, rather than the plane itself

I've only flown Emirates out to SE Asia, always a 777 to/from Dubai, then either a 777 or A380 onwards to whatever city I travel to. It doesn't bother me which type of plane I fly on

On 17/07/2020 at 18:00, Kandinski said:

Same here; one of the so called "some people"  who always check equipment and  seat configuration before booking.
Best Biz ever was  Singapore Air  747, their A380 come 2nd. IMHO no other carrier has, or will, come even close to the experience Sing Air provided on the 744 and for me its so f*cking sad to see the ol queen of the sky disappearing and being replaced by some cramped, fuel efficient,  composit POS.

Yep ,the service in First and Club on Upper Deck on BA 747's was always a lot better than on any other of their aircraft.

62A BA 747 Upper Deck, best daytime seat in the sky imo.

62A.jpg

62A-View.jpg

• Like 2

Actually it is much more important when flying coach or economy. Business class almost always results in a good seat. In economy, the wrong seat could place you by the escape slide door, which means no leg room. Another limiting factor is no under seat storage. This is true in all aircraft.

Funny when I started to travel ba were the standard that others aimed for now they would definately be my last choice

• Like 3

On 18/07/2020 at 14:51, jaynewcastle said:

ok, I was can understand the people who fly business class etc being more choosy about the actual planes they choose,   but I'm sure that the vast majority of us fly economy & I'd imagine economy on most modern planes is fairly standard on all plane types, with the main differences being the quality & service of the actual airline you're flying with, rather than the plane itself

I've only flown Emirates out to SE Asia, always a 777 to/from Dubai, then either a 777 or A380 onwards to whatever city I travel to. It doesn't bother me which type of plane I fly on

https://todayheadline.co/emirates-president-tim-clark-says-nothing-will-beat-the-airbus-a380/

Edited by brownmanc

What a shame...one thing NOT mentioned is that the 747 is a faster aircraft, than any twin engine commercial aircraft in current usage.

13 minutes ago, Roadglide said:

What a shame...one thing NOT mentioned is that the 747 is a faster aircraft, than any twin engine commercial aircraft in current usage.

Marginal faster and nothing noticable https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/fastest-passenger-jets/