IGNORED

Russian man hangs himself in Pattaya the day before his outbound flight home

The Pattaya News

Jomtien- Pattaya-A Russian man was found hanged in a room in Jomtien just after midnight early this morning, according to the Pattaya City Police. He was reportedly due to fly out of Thailand today and return home. Major Palakorn Trachunit of The Pattaya City Police was notified of the incident at 12:30 AM at a […]

Russian man hangs himself in Pattaya the day before his outbound flight home
-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-
The Pattaya News - Real. Unbiased. Impactful. In the moment.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

Wild guess..........

"He had been in Thailand during the current visa amnesty period, according to her, but his passport visa was reportedly expired for some time."

........meaning he was heading for the Overstay desk?

2 hours ago, Edge said:

Wild guess..........

"He had been in Thailand during the current visa amnesty period, according to her, but his passport visa was reportedly expired for some time."

........meaning he was heading for the Overstay desk?

Isn't there a Russian embassy in Thailand/Bangkok?  If so, he could have just gone there and applied for a new passport.

3 minutes ago, wadman said:

Isn't there a Russian embassy in Thailand/Bangkok?  If so, he could have just gone there and applied for a new passport.

Doesn't say PP expired says Visa expired.........

...........but who knows.  :Dunno1:

22 minutes ago, Edge said:

Doesn't say PP expired says Visa expired.........

...........but who knows.  :Dunno1:

Ah OK... It would help if I read a bit more carefully, lol.

But still though... If he qualifies for the visa amnesty, then it's not finished until July 31, with a pretty good chance of it being extended. If he doesn't qualify, then his visa expired a long time ago. 

Sounds to me it's more a case of typical Thai sleuthing: now, a murder isn't good for the tourism industry, so let's see what else we can blame it on. 

3 minutes ago, wadman said:

Ah OK... It would help if I read a bit more carefully, lol.

But still though... If he qualifies for the visa amnesty, then it's not finished until July 31, with a pretty good chance of it being extended. If he doesn't qualify, then his visa expired a long time ago. 

Sounds to me it's more a case of typical Thai sleuthing: now, a murder isn't good for the tourism industry, so let's see what else we can blame it on. 

Sorry to witter on, but the Visa Amnesty only applied if you had a valid Visa when it started, otherwise your Overstay continued.

That's why I'm guessing he had a significant appointment at the Overstay desk when he tried to exit at the airport....doesn't say how long he'd been in country.

5 minutes ago, Edge said:

Sorry to witter on, but the Visa Amnesty only applied if you had a valid Visa when it started, otherwise your Overstay continued.

That's why I'm guessing he had a significant appointment at the Overstay desk when he tried to exit at the airport....doesn't say how long he'd been in country.

Right. Which is why I said "If he doesn't qualify, then his visa expired a long time ago". IIRC, your visa had to expire after March 26, to qualify for the amnesty. So if that is the case, then his visa expired months ago. So why kill himself now? Not to mention that Thai immigration is likely to be more lenient to overstayers now, considering the situation. 

26 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm guessing he had a significant appointment at the Overstay desk

Tha overstay fine is capped at 20,000 baht, so I guess it depends on your definition of significant. For most people that would hardly be enough to kill themselves over. Maybe he just couldn't face going back home.