IGNORED

Anyone own a Markland Condo?

ginseng

I'm considering buying a condo in Pattaya. I was thinking about The Base and Centric Sea because I like the location and modern design and sea views but upon further research including this site was reading both have thin walls and a lot of noisy tourists.

I lived in a condo in Bangkok in 2008 that was built in the late 90s. It was ugly as hell and had the old Thai style but the walls were solid concrete and I never heard a noise. I was wondering if the same is true of Markland Condos as far as THICK walls and QUIET rooms since they were built around the same time. Since the building is old the price is steeply discounted. On the higher floors the view looks good. Not hearing my neighbors chatter all night is my top priority. I figure for the discounted price at Markland I could afford to pay to renovate the whole interior and make it modern on the inside. I don't care if the building itself is old as long as the construction and maintenance is solid. Thanks

https://goo.gl/maps/6Kw2xCnejda9ucYw5

Edited by ginseng

I watched the Markland being built and have stayed there many times over the years. Yes, it's pretty quiet there. But the place is falling apart. Maintenance is severely lacking. The lifts take forever and feel like death traps. 

Plus there's 5 floors of hotel that attracts group tours from China and India. I'm very sorry to say, but the Markland has turned into a real shithole. 

It's a damn shame too, because the ocean view is beautiful.

14 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

I watched the Markland being built and have stayed there many times over the years. Yes, it's pretty quiet there. But the place is falling apart. Maintenance is severely lacking. The lifts take forever and feel like death traps. 

Plus there's 5 floors of hotel that attracts group tours from China and India. I'm very sorry to say, but the Markland has turned into a real shithole. 

I agree with that as well. I have been there to fuck good old Chun and while her apartment was immaculate when I was there,you could tell that the building is in need of a lot of maintenance. It is a fairly good location however, near enough but far enough away as well.

Edited by gentleenforcer

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I once got stuck in an elevator for 30 minutes in an old hotel in Pattaya (don't remember which) one of the worst experiences of my life. Death Trap elevator is not good. I welcome other opinions about Markland and suggestions for other condos too. Quiet, good location and no death trap elevator.

appreciate the replies.

• Like 2

the sea views from the Base are now compromised by the Edge being built in front and slightly south 

1362561762_26may006(Custom).JPG.adc466d7cab94a03832bab48ae444faa.JPG

Base right, Edge new build left.

sooner or later something will be built in front of Centric Sea

Edited by striderman

10 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Used to stay in the Beach View hotel which is next store to the Markland and i also watched this place being built from the start in the 1990's with even concrete falling from it into the Beach View swimming pool while i was there.

Have to say never stay there but have heard the Maintenance leaves much to be desired  and it's very much in need of a face job and is not being looked after very well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rainsberger said:

Used to stay in the Beach View hotel which is next store to the Markland and i also watched this place being built from the start in the 1990's with even concrete falling from it into the Beach View swimming pool while i was there.

Have to say never stay there but have heard the Maintenance leaves much to be desired  and it's very much in need of a face job and is not being looked after very well. 

I used to stay on the other side at the Regent Marina, because I had a good friend who owned a bar on that soi. Didn't know that there was concrete falling from the construction. Hope no one got hurt?

2 hours ago, 1500B said:

I have been given advice in another thread that the Urban has thick walls.

Well since you brought it up.

I can confirm that....at least in my condo. It's nice that I'm in a corner unit and no one on either side. 

My door is sound proof as well. As a test I turned the volume up on my TV walk out, closed the door and can't hear a sound from inside. 

Door to fire exit on one side, empty space on the other side. 

IMG_20200614_062652.jpg

IMG_20200614_062722.jpg

IMG_20200614_062710.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1500B said:

I have been given advice in another thread that the Urban has thick walls.

18 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

Well since you brought it up.

I can confirm that....at least in my condo. It's nice that I'm in a corner unit and no one on either side. 

My door is sound proof as well. As a test I turned the volume up on my TV walk out, closed the door and can't hear a sound from inside. 

Door to fire exit on one side, empty space on the other side. 

@RocketBoy Are you in the Urban?

5 minutes ago, ginseng said:

@RocketBoy Are you in the Urban?

Yes been living there since October 2018.

The standard of new building is getting worse all the time.

If i was going to buy a condo again, I would take my time, narrow down your options by visiting lots, then take one month stays in three before deciding. Talk to other residents as much as possible.

I would buy a slightly  older, internally run down condo in a well managed smallish block, then renovate it with the money saved by not buying a newer condo.

By Thai standards the Urban is pretty good. I wish i had bought there.

How much does a condo cost at markland condo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

1 hour ago, raviinc said:

How much does a condo cost at markland condo?

Approximately 4 million baht. 

• Like 2

Thanks, approx what would be the built up area.

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

5 hours ago, raviinc said:

Thanks, approx what would be the built up area.

I am thinking 48 sq. meter

I am thinking 48 sq. meter

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Cheetos said:

The prices would have to vary greatly, southside-northside, high-floor low-floor, front of building or back. I pretty sure that a condo can be bought there for as low as 2.5. Or maybe even 2 million considering what's going on in LOS.

But it's a shithole. 

walls are thick....get a good door.. .I know someone who plays electric guitar there ...no problem with complaints...great location ..always a nice breeze ...elevators are slow...

Upkeep and maintenance depends alot on the owners who attend the AGM  (annual general meeting) and vote on the CAM fee rate.  If the rate is too low there isn't enough baht to keep the place looking good. 

On 14/06/2020 at 08:08, Rocketboy said:

Yes been living there since October 2018.

@Rocketboy, what are the monthly maintenance fees at the Urban?  Are there any other fees (property taxes, mandatory insurance?) involved as an owner?  Just in case I see a really good condo deal popping up somewhere.

38 minutes ago, wadman said:

@Rocketboy, what are the monthly maintenance fees at the Urban?  Are there any other fees (property taxes, mandatory insurance?) involved as an owner?  Just in case I see a really good condo deal popping up somewhere.

I'm not an owner so wouldn't have that info.

From time to time there has been open letters/forms containing financial information in my mail box. 

I take it to the East Coast Real Estate office on 2nd Rd and they deal with it. 

Before I moved here I listened to the advice of some of my expat friends.

They said if you are thinking of buying rent 6-12 months before deciding or not at all. 

I'm comfortable renting with the option of moving if and when I want. 

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wadman said:

Not an Urban owner but I'll try to answer your question as I have owned a condo going on 11 years and have served 2 terms as committee chairman.  No property taxes in LOS but they do have a transfer tax when you buy from an owner.  I don't know what that rate is but sellers will usually state something like selling condo for 3 million baht plus 50-50 transfer fee.  Insurance fee would be included in the monthly CAM (common area maintenance) fee.  The CAM fees will be determined by the majority of owners at the AGM (annual general meeting).  At my condo that will be a fee of 40 baht per sq meter so the larger units pay more than the smaller.  Also the size of the unit determines an owners voting worth i.e. an owner that has a 100 sq meter complex vote would count twice as much as an owner of a 50 sq meter unit.  The size also factors in on the 49% ownership for falangs as its not based on individuals but sq meters.  You want the CAM fees not only to cover the day to day condo costs but an excess to cover major costs in the future such as repainting the complex.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

I'm not an owner so wouldn't have that info.

From time to time there has been open letters/forms containing financial information in my mail box. 

I take it to the East Coast Real Estate office on 2nd Rd and they deal with it. 

Before I moved here I listened to the advice of some of my expat friends.

They said if you are thinking of buying rent 6-12 months before deciding or not at all. 

I'm comfortable renting with the option of moving if and when I want. 

Ah, forgot for a minute there that you were renting rather than owning.

20 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

Not an Urban owner but I'll try to answer your question as I have owned a condo going on 11 years and have served 2 terms as committee chairman.  No property taxes in LOS but they do have a transfer tax when you buy from an owner.  I don't know what that rate is but sellers will usually state something like selling condo for 3 million baht plus 50-50 transfer fee.  Insurance fee would be included in the monthly CAM (common area maintenance) fee.  The CAM fees will be determined by the majority of owners at the AGM (annual general meeting).  At my condo that will be a fee of 40 baht per sq meter so the larger units pay more than the smaller.  Also the size of the unit determines an owners voting worth i.e. an owner that has a 100 sq meter complex vote would count twice as much as an owner of a 50 sq meter unit.  The size also factors in on the 49% ownership for falangs as its not based on individuals but sq meters.  You want the CAM fees not only to cover the day to day condo costs but an excess to cover major costs in the future such as repainting the complex.

Wow, 40 baht per sqm is quite a bit for Thailand.  On a 55 sqm condo, that's 2200 baht a month.  I take it your condo has a nice pool.  This is just another reason to rent instead of buy.

I say 55 sqm because that's the size I would be comfortable with on a long term basis.  I am currently renting a 36 sqm 1 bedroom unit at the Grand Avenue, and while it's fine for short term, there are a few annoyances.  There is no dinner table, no work desk (there is a coffee table that folds out into a bigger table at a decent height, but still...).  There is also very little storage space.

EDIT: a quick Google says that property transfer fees is 2%.  On a 3 million baht unit, that's 60k.  

Edited by wadman